1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Mayock…… your thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 17, 2022.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Quite the ironic statement I might add.... from someone whom I least expected it to state such.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes but to be perfectly honest had the NFL's helmet rules not precipitated Brown's new meltdown at the time, they might have gotten at least 6 games out of him before his batpoo craziness bit them in the butt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Thanks for doing the research but I have to disagree that those were good drafts. Average at best. 2019 was the best year but still looks average. I would hope you end up with 2-3 starters from each draft especially by years 2-3. The Leatherwood pick was ridiculous. He isn't even starting at the position they drafted him for. 1st rounder? No freaking way. And how does he not have any responsibility for a player he drafts that has off field issues? Surely there were some signs. He is responsible for bringing the AB circus sh!tshow to town. Sorry but mayock is not a hot commodity for GM jobs.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually that research was done by a homer Raiders fan, TurnDownForWatt just pasted it here.

• Like Like x 2
  5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Blaming someone for decisions someone else made...... Got it

Cajun

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Absolving the GM of any blame, got it.

You don’t sit in on the meetings, you’re just guessing.

7. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Mayock sucked as a “TV GM” like Mel Kiper. Only he was inexplicably actually given a chance to be a real GM. Unsurprisingly he sucked at that, too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The only players left from the 2020 draft are three backups. The 2021 draft may end up the same when we look back in 2023. And this is after the Bears gave them two 1st, one 3rd and one 6th for Khalil Mack. That’s a lot to work with.

10. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Why are you shouting down TurnDownForWatt……. He did the research to find the article AND HE even said in his post it was made by a Raiders fan and just pasted it…….. SMH

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The very first sentence of the ESPN article he says Gruden has final say IF IT EVER COMES TO THAT. You ignored that part huh, just want to assume Mayock had nothing to do with bringing AB in to fit your narrative. Stick your obtuse in your ear.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    An I’m the obtuse one :facepalm:

no Cajun, I was explaining to Knox that those words weren’t TurnDownForWatts.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Okay...Well I did take the time look it up and put it here.

I wanted to see for myself how Mayock has drafted. It would have been easy to just go on pro Football Reference and just paste a list. But I wanted to find a breakdown of how those players are doing. So I found that post made by a fan of that actual team. I posted it here for those who might like to read. To me that's research.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    It did kind of seem like you were kicking me in the nuts. :lolol:

15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Someone seems a little uptight today. Maybe try decaf :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Naa man, Knox was saying he disagreed with you, seemed like he had the impression those were your reviews.

You’re cool TDW, we’re good.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    In 2019 the Raiders got Josh Jacobs, Johnathan Abram, Travon Mullen, Max Crosby, Foster Moreau, and Hunter Renfrow. Thats not just a good draft. That is an epic draft. Seriously, if the Steelers had a draft like that people would be gushing all over Colbert/Tomlin.

2020 was a terrible draft for the Raiders. No doubt.

2021 The jury is clearly still out. Just like the Steelers 2021 draft, it is to early to tell. There are 3 guys starting for the Raiders who were drafted in 2021. So it can't be all bad. You guys keep making fun of Leatherwood. But Alex Leatherwood is better than any damn lineman the Steelers have on their roster. So should we be faulting Mayock for going out and getting a player he wanted? Or should we be faulting Colbert for drafting Green and forcing him to play out of position?

Bottom line is that the AB thing did not work out for the Raiders. I personally don't fault Mayock for that, but regardless of situation the GM deserves blame, because he is the one that pulled the trigger on the deal.

The MB trade was just stupid on Mayock's part.

I have no horse in this race. I didn't even know that Mayock had been fired until I read this thread. I have no idea whether the Steelers have interest in him or not. All I am saying is that Mike Mayock is not nearly as bad as some of you are making out. I am honestly surprised the Raiders fired Mayock. That team came a long way in 3 years.

18. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I read the entire Article, Gruden hired Mayock And Gruden had final say And Mayock said he was fine with that !!!

Even though I never said Mayock had nothing to do with bringing in AB it is implied in the following article and please read it all if you can, Where AB threatened to punch Mayock in the face and Gruden still kept him, even after AB anti Gruden video Gruden was still salivating over AB!!!!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...sburgh-oakland-new-england-and-tampa-bay/amp/

Sorry about the obtuse part, didn’t mean to hurt your feeling!!

Cajun

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You still havent shown anything that absolves Mayock of bringing AB in. That Gruden kept him proves nothing other than he has final say, duh, Mayock said as much.

So you want to bring in a guy who apparently does nothing, a figurehead, brilliant.

Ignorant people can’t hurt my feelings.

20. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Hahaha…. Yeah I’m not only ignorant but must suffer from reading comprehension also ……

Please stop misquoting or misrepresenting what I’ve said. Never ever implied I wanted him as a GM BUT did say I was “leaning” toward the idea of him being over the college scouts and reporting to whoever our current or new GM would be!! Not surprised who didn’t understand what I clearly wrote since you can’t grasp what any of the articles have clearly stated ….

Im done, taking grandads advice about arguing with certain people.

Cajun

21. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Hey TDW, just for clarification , M Bryant was traded for on 4/26/18 & released on 11/1/18…. This was during Reggie McKenzie GM timeline……. Gruden Hired Mayock on 12/31/18 , 3 weeks after Reggie was fired.

Also , Gruden had final say on all personnel decisions once Mayock was hired.

Gruden resigned on 10/11/2021 ….. Riggs was released by Mayock on 11/2/2021 & Arnette was released on 11/8/2018….

These are the two moves clearly made by Mayock since Gruden was gone.

Cajun

• Like Like x 2
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Starts thread should we be interested than picks a fight over my comments about said topic but never implied he wants said topic as our GM.

Phew, you’re more dizzying than those teacup rides.

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Double negative.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Ahhh. I did not realize that.

So why are people so down on Mayock then? I don't get it.:shrug:

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Actually as a TV GM He has gotten way more right than Mel Kiper. I have watched both for a long while. Of course I'm just talking TV GMs here.

• Agree Agree x 2