1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin presser today some highlights…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You do understand that Tomlin NEVER said Matt Canada is going to be the OC next year.

You do understand that Tomlin NEVER said either Rudolph or Haskins are going to be the Starting QB next year.

People are going nuts trying desperately to put words into Tomlin's mouth that were not there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    All very exciting possibilities. Can’t wait!

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    From what I can see is....Some will be very Happy...We will get a very mobile Qb,and run college scheme. At least for what I heard Him say about Mobile Qb was a must in today's game.
    Then when they don't work people will wonder why.
    Yes it really worked for one Year for the ravens. They caught everyone off balance. Most NFL defense coaches haven't seen these schemes since college. Now each year after more ,and more have seen them. The worse, and worse ravens offense has gotten. You are not taking the NFL by surprise with those scheme now.
    There is a reason they are college schemes.
    Nothing on the field is faster then the ball.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Why do you think he is going to tell the press what he really thinks? Why would anyone do that? If he's coming back next year the correct thing to do is to tell the public he has confidence in him, while having a conversation privately about expectations going into next year.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Why do you think that mobile QB means college scheme? Most of the QB's left in the playoffs are mobile.

Joe Burrow - Mobile
    Tannehill - Mobile
    Rodgers - Mobile
    Allen - Mobile
    Mahomes - Mobile

The Ravens QB is a scrambler....big difference between mobile QB and a scrambling QB

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    By mobile they mean a guy who looks to run as much as he throws. Kordell, Vick, Cunningham, Ravens QB....non SB winners.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    How do you know what they mean?

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I thought Steve Young was the beginning of the running QB and maybe the best mobile QB of all time. He averaged 5.9 YPC and ended with 4,239 yard rushing.

And, I think he won a Superbowl along the way to getting his HOF jacket.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What coach is going to say they want an immobile statue pocket passer in these days? Those days are gone.

10. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Cant run the ball, can’t stop the run. Nearly dead last on the league at both. Oline ranked dead last in blocking push on running plays. I believe Harris lead the league in 0 to negative yards. Ben lead the league in time getting rid of the ball . Canada’s design to help the O-line protect Ben. Yet we still ranked 16th in sacks allowed. And the cherry on the top, we rank 3rd in the nfl in most dropped passes. Yea its all Ben’s fault. Lol

Oh yea we also were among the worst in punting but who’s counting?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    We better get a mobile QB because they’ll be running for their lives with this O-line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Thats good news.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I believe you pulled this out of the wrong end of your anatomy.

Also, Cunningham became a damn good passer later in his career.

Also part two, Ravens' quarterback? Were you unable to remember Lamar Jackson's name?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Maybe or maybe not. It's pretty close.

Could a monkey on a greyhound be an eligible receiver? And would that count as two players?

But I couldn't agree more that Tomlin is switching to a gimmicky college offense that NFL coaches can access tape of at Maryland, and have a year of in the NFL also. There really wasn't much motion this year. Nothing that stood out as compared to other teams. Am I wrong about that? I saw almost no creativity. The double TE motion supposed to result in mind blowing gains or what?

Can't wait to see the QB the Steelers draft. It better not be Malik Willis.

Tomlin likes QBs who run; RBs who receive; receivers who block. He's so much smarter than everyone else.

• Like Like x 1
  15. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    How is he wrong? Dobbs was a running QB. Dixon showed slightly more potential as a QB but still a running QB. And Vick. They were all Steelers.

Do you think Malik Willis is good? Because that's the most hyped running QB.

Why didn't the Steelers just draft Lamar Jackson?!! Best running QB prospect in a generation and he was right there. Makes zero sense to take a "mobile QB" now who isn't half as athletic as Lamar.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    That'd be Tomlin alright

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Mobile really does mean "has legs" to you! Rodgers had 6 yards per game rushing. Burrow about the same. Can you please define "mobile"?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    So much dumber

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    Running Qb’s always degrade as they get older as they get hurt and lose their athleticism. In order to be a successful qb, you have to be an accurate passer and be able to read defenses. I would take an accurate passer who can read defenses like Tom Brady over Lamar Jackson any day. Lamar and Vick never really develop their skill of dissecting defenses because they always have an out. However good defenses will limit their ability to run and cause them to throw interceptions or incompletion. Steve Young became successful only when he developed his ability to read defenses. I believe he said that preparing for an nfl game was harder than law school. If Ben prepared early in his career rather than play sandlot football, he would have beaten Belichek at least once in the playoffs. Good defenses will shut down qb’s that rely more on their legs than their mind

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Did you ever witness Josh Allen run and pass the ball? The ability for a QB to run only adds an element to an offense that defenses may be able to account for or not.

Many of the top young QB'S in the NFL today have the element of mobility. Mahomes check, Herbert check, Allen check, Jackson check, Murray check. Even Rookie Lawrence rushed for 4.6 yards per attempt.

Tomlin is correct in wanting a duel threat QB if possible in today's NFL. What HC or fan wouldn't want this in his QB if possible?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    Also, the best young Qb today, Patrick Mahomes is a passer first. He’s always looking to pass first. In fact he hardly runs for running sake. He runs so he can get away to throw a pass. He’s a bit like Rothlisberger in his younger days, perhaps he’s a better passer than Ben.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    All the top Qb run looking to throw a pass. They are all accurate passers who run to buy time in order to throw a pass. Kordell, Vick ran in order to use that as an integral part of their arsenal. They have success in regular season but good defenses always shut down their run and make them use their arm. They always seem to fail in the playoffs.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Hey genius, we are talking about today. For example, Josh Allen set a pass/rush record for a QB.

Mahomes has the ability to run and buy time on the move. He also rushed for 5.8 yards per attempt.

This isn't rocket science. But you do get it. Ok I try to dummy it.down for you. As a coach you want as many options as a weapon as possible. A QB that can run and extend plays, drives using his legs when plays break down? Get it now?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Dobbs is not a guy more likely to run than throw. Vick was never a long-term option for the Steelers. Dixon was a running threat, but he didn’t last long because he wasn’t a good enough passer. No, I don’t line Willis. I already wrote about that on one of the draft room threads.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    None of that supports your claim that the Steelers are going to look for a run-first quarterback.

You also contradicted yourself in your own post. You tried arguing that running quarterbacks don't last long, then pointed out the very best example of a quarterback who was a great runner, but eventually developed into a great passer as well, Steve Young. Randall Cunningham is another guy who made that transition.

Vick's problem wasn't that he was too athletic. His problem was that he was a lazy idiot. He even admitted the lazy part, that he never put in the time to develop his game when he was with the Falcons. He only got better in that area after his time in prison.

Wow. You would take arguably the greatest quarterback of all time over Lamar Jackson? Me too. Way to step out on a limb there.

• Disagree Disagree x 1