1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Steelers release Kevin Colbert before the draft?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  3. Not Sure

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Don't care

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-gm-kevin-colbert-expected-to-step-down-following-2022-nfl-draft

"Colbert's contract runs through the 2022 NFL Draft, and he has told people he intends to stay on the job through. But while he has not been definitive in conversations with those close to him, Colbert has acknowledged that it is likely his last season and the expectation is he'll retire sooner rather than later after the draft".

I really don't see any benefits to keeping Kevin Colbert on as GM through the draft if he intends to leave right after picking the future of the franchise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    He has been year to year for a while. When he extended last year through the 2022 draft I was perplexed. It's like an addict wanting that last high, something to hold on to, but it never measures up. I doubt they can him, bit the Steelers way and I know the Ravens did this a few years ago and promoted a guy from within. I for one like the clean break. Just have your presser and ride off into the sunset, it's time.

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m assuming his replacement has already been identified, works in the building with KC and that the 2022 draft is a handover situation.

If that is not the case then I agree that he should go now rather than saddling the next GM with a draft class and possibly a future QB that isn’t their choice. It would make no sense whatsoever to approach it like that.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Do you want to hand the keys to a guy who walks in the 3 months before the draft

Or the guy that's been doing all the work for the last year.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Probably, but it really doesn’t matter what I think. The Steelers have already made their plan.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Is there a good time to replace the GM? Seems like hes always going to be in the middle of something.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    The fact there is no new GM with several outstanding candidates available such as Dan Morgan, Ed Dodds and Joe Schoen available means the Steelers are "promoting from within."

It just means Tomlin will make the final personnel decisions now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If KC is gonna be replaced by one of his underlings anyway, what difference does it make when he leaves?

Actually, I think a lot of GM in the NFL have contracts that expire right after the draft. I guess it a logically time as it gives continuity for scouting college players. The same team goes to Senior Bowl, Hula Bowl, combines etc, same teams prepares a draft board without disruption.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Makes sense to me. Next GM won't have done a years worth of scouting for this draft.

And if the next one up is already in the building, they will probably have a lot of input anyways.

10. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    His replacement is in the building in Hunt. Makes no difference if he leaves now or after the draft.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He is regarded as one of the best GM’s in the league so yes, I want him for one more.

Not to mention, if you have ever looked into it, the Steelers prep for the draft is a very through process involving a lot of people and a lot of input. A true collaborative effort. Theres no king here which a new GM might want to be.

12. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

This. It’s also why nothing official has been stated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Yea they are so thorough they drafted a guard from a crappy Big 10 school and put him at center ? Just sayin

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Good point... when it was announced he was going to retjre...I I heard some ESPN guys saying they don't know what exactly was required for front office to make the HOF... but that he has to be in the conversation.

HACK

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Got Watt at 28.

Green could have very well been drafted with the idea of moving him to guard if he failed at center. Thats actually a pretty good plan since the line wouldnt be fixed in one draft anyway.

You guys should look at what other teams have done in the draft, you act like every other team is perfect. Fact is, you miss more than you hit.

16. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Not sayin he’s bad I think he’s good but I had to throw that out there it is kind of an important position and to do that is baffling to say the least

17. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I think Colbert has drafted well. I mean, to keep a team relevant for as long as he did while consistently drafting later in the first round isn't easy. Sure, he's missed on picks...every GM does. He drafted two first ballot hall of famers in Troy and Ben....and probably Watt and maybe Heyward (Heyward maybe gets in...definitely not a first ballot). If Shazier didn't get hurt...who knows where he would've ended up. But if you look back through his drafts from 2000 to current, a lot of his picks were multi contract players that contributed as a starter or significant contributor to a winning team with good talent often. I wasn't like the tear down we have now where we don't have an o-lineman that would start on any other team. All the teams until this one had talent. Even this year, Ingram left because of the talent at OLB. And that's the goal. Draft guys who you can groom and keep. That builds culture...and culture is the foundation of a winner.

Let's not forget he plucked gems like AB in the 6th and Kiesel (Da Beard) in the 7th! And scooped up practice squad guys like James Harrison.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    It's probably to give teams the option of replacing the GM before the draft without being in a panic to find a GM before the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's exactly what the ravens did. Lamar is not ....nor is any of that draft class their GMs picks.
    Their GM drafted ,and then moved on.

20. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Not sure if it matters. The new GM will definitely have a voice in the room, for the draft, for sure. I think Colbert will simply be a consultant. And since it's widely accepted that the new guy will be Hunt or Khan, I just don't think it makes that much of a difference. Personally, I'd rather use this time to a complete shakeup. The Art II disagrees, oh well.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It doesn't matter who is available, they were always promoting from with in.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    People hate to admit it but the Ravens and Steelers are run in very similar ways.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Where exactly do you think they would be getting his replacement from? Home Depot, the local Wal Mart? It is not like they would bring in someone that is not already employed by an NFL team to take over at GM.

There have been some pretty good candidates mentioned that are already in football and already have a years' worth of scouting done.

But, I think most of you are right, in that it will be another internal promotion, so it doesn't matter anyway.

24. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Are you just hear to hurt feelings with facts and common sense? :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    HC, Calls the D ( which sucked ).and GM too! Why not....Woulda surprise me one bit with Gutless Rooney though...Who still thinks Tomlin is the cats Ass