1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Mayock…… your thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Here’s something to consider. Should Hunt or Khan gets a GM position elsewhere, we get a 3rd round comp pick in the 2022 and 2023 draft. Whoever loses out here, I’m rooting for him to get a GM offer elsewhere

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Raiders drafted Leatherwood as an OT in the first round, he was so bad they had to move him to OG.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
  4. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    And he's still bad

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    This has to be a joke.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    ...and was still called for the second-most penalties of any offensive lineman in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  8. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    No Glenda, this is not silly nor is this thread a joke.

I just asked a simple question polling Steeler fans. No endorsement here or suggestion but simply a question.

Mayock has ties to the Steelers so I thought it to be a relevant Question.

Cajun

• Like Like x 2
  9. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    With Mayock out, Rich Bisaccia may be out also. If that’s the case, get rid of Bazooka Danny and bring Bisaccia in as Special Teams Cord/Assistant Coach. His blue collar approach fits well with this team

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    With the first round debacles that Mayock has chosen the last few years, could you imagine how he would be crucified by the TSF faithful?

11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm reading all this Mike Mayock hate. So I had to look up his drafts to see why he is getting so much shade. The following was posted on reddit by a Raider fan. So before yinz shoot me, these are not my words. Here goes...

Taking a look at Mike Mayock's draft history
    I have been hearing lots of **** talking about Mayock's drafting, especially since we cut two of the selections before they even did anything on the team. I just wanted to take a moment to look at the actual picks he made though. He has only been here since 2019, so he has 3 drafts under his belt so far.

2019:

Clelin Ferrell - Solid player, not worth 4th overall, but good depth

Josh Jacobs - Starter, great RB that creates extra yards on every run

Johnathan Abram - Starter

Trayvon Mullen - Starter

Maxx Crosby - Starter, one of the best defenders in the league so far this year

Isaiah Johnson - Cut, never did much

Foster Moreau - Great second TE. Good blocker and receiver.

Hunter Renfrow - Might not be a starter, but one of the best slot receivers in the league and always comes up clutch

Quinton Bell - Nothing here, 7th round pick though

2020:

Henry Ruggs - Starter, shows potential and opens up the offense, but the jury is still out on him. Being a starter is significant enough though. Big play potential.

Damon Arnette - Really not enough to go off of. Has shown some potential in my mind, but still has some issues.

Lynn Bowden Jr. - Bad pick

Bryan Edwards - Big bodied WR. Didn't do much his rookie year but is looking to make a big impact this season. Already has some game winning plays.

Tanner Muse - Bad pick

John Simpson - Depth guard, hasn't played much,

Amik Robertson - Special teams player, showed some nice plays in the preseason but hasn't done much.

2021:

Alex Leatherwood - Starter

Trevon Moehrig - Starter

Malcolm Koonce - Hasn't even played

Divine Deablo - STs

Tyree Gillespie - STs

Nate Hobbs - Starter, has shown some real potential

Jimmy Morrissey - Hasn't played

UDFAs:

Alec Ingold

AJ Cole

Mayock has drafted a total of 23 players. 11 of those players are starters or have a significant role on the team. Almost half of his draft picks are important contributors to the team. He also signed important UDFAs such as Ingold and Cole who are among the best in the league at their position. Meaning he has brought in 13 players who have a significant impact on the team in the 3 years since he has been the GM. That is almost a 4th of the team.

He has also brought in some important free agents but that is besides the point. He has consistently hit on late round draft picks and brought in talented players. I'm drunkb but I love Mike Mayock!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    So looking at his drafts, Mayock is not nearly as bad as some of you are making out. His drafts have been average to above average IMO. 2019 actually looks pretty damn good.

I am in no way suggesting the Steelers sign Mayock. I'm just wondering why the guy is getting so much hate. The Raiders are a helluva lot better now than they were before he got there.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    BTW, I am not holding Ruggs against Mayock. Mayock certainly wasn't expecting Ruggs to kill someone in his sophomore season.

That AB trade would have been a steal for the Raiders if AB wasn't a complete trainwreck.

The MB trade was pretty bad on Mayocks part. No doubt.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I can absolutely hang AB on him. He was already a complete train wreck when he traded for him.

He gambled and it bit him in the ass, he gets no pass for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Mayock is a complete moron.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    He did that for Gruden guaranteed.

17. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    What I noticed about Mayock is he's too nice and optimistic. He had something nice to say about every player drafted. Maybe that was part of his job but it was way too easy for him.

18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    He took Ruggs too

19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  20. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    nope, he hasnt even went to court yet ... :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011

Actually you can’t , Gruden was hired 1st and Gruden brought in Mayock AND Gruden had Final say on All Personnel Decisions!!!

Not your normal working environment of the NFL. Mayock ran scouting and had the most input on players But Gruden made the final decisions.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    This is where I’m actually leaning!!

He’s a football guy. Spent 15 yrs as NFL Network Draft guru. He’s a smart guy but being out of the league for so long a Full Time NFL GM was probably too big for him at the time plus his close relationship with Gruden has tarnished him.

Leaning towards him maybe as Director of college scouting. Leading the college scouts and reporting to the Next GM. Do this a few years and maybe add to his resume to someday interview for a GM job somewhere.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Why would we want someone to be our GM right after being fired for being someone else's GM?

Wait, that might be a possibility since he was just fired, the Rooney's may think about it since MM could come as a discount and be signed for less money than a successful up and comer. Never mind. JMO>

24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wasn't Colbert the Lions GM before being hired as Steelers GM? Lions weren't exactly a juggernaut in the late 90's. One thing's for certain, whoever the Steelers hire to replace Colbert.... much whining will ensue here on the board.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually I can and do.