1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin presser today some highlights…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 18, 2022.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    - Said he is comfortable and has confidence in Matt Canada as the offensive coordinator

- Hinted toward Keith Butler looking into retirement when asked about the D-Coordinator position

- Said he looks forward to the challenge of looking for the teams next franchise QB and that both Rudolph and Haskins will have a chance to compete for that spot.

- Said he has not spoke to Tuitt about him coming back next season.

There are many other points I could get into that Tomlin said but it just appears that listening to it that once again no big changes are gonna be made by Tomlin. Just sounds like another offseason of rinse and repeat coming up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Said he is comfortable and has confidence in Matt Canada as the offensive coordinator.:dontknow:

It's like we're on the amusement park carousel spinning out of control and the Emergency Stop is broken.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Yep..no clue if Canada's offense would work elsewhere, but it sure won't work with the steelers group of players. They look clunky and slow in terms of the play design and motions after you watch teams like the chiefs and rams execute their motions presnap and I didn't think it was the best idea in Bens last year to try such a change with the offense.

A new qb may help as well as some new pieces on the line, but we shall see if we'll be able to score in the 1st quarter let alone the 1st half next season. If the team is capable of scoring beyond the 4th quarter and when losing they may fight for a playoff spot. Not sure we get to the playoffs next season, but they could be on the cusp depending how the off-season plays out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Agree 100%. My thoughts:

1. Tomlin told Arians his job was safe. That meant nothing so hopefully this is the same.

2. If Canada stays this is proof that Tomlin did not want Arians as OC and that firing was not forced by ARII. Canada and Arians are opposites: mistake free dink and dunk Alex Smith type football vs "Risk it for the biscuit" Brett Favre type football.

3. If Canada stays we are entering the era of Tomlin living in his fears. This is how the offense will look from here out. We started seeing elements of this in 2012 with Haley. Everyone assumed that was 100% on ARII trying to preserve Ben's career... apparently it had a lot to do with Tomlin as well.

Personally I think Canada is still fired. What Tomlin says doesn't mean much. It also means though that Tomlin will be obsessed with not turning the ball over leaving very few options at QB and OC. Cousins has a very low INT% recently.

Ben going into the Chiefs game saying "Whoever makes the least mistakes wins" which is the least Ben thing I've heard.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Offense ranked 29th in yards per carry and 31st in yards per pass attempt. 26th in scoring TD's, With a veteran QB that didn't turn the ball over, a talented first round RB, and a very good rookie TE. The only substantial injuries on offense : JuJu. The o-line actually got better when the starters got hurt.

And that's Canada's 2nd season at job. The standard is the standard I guess. On the bright side it's really easy for us to show improvement next season. The old adage under promise and over deliver could not be more true in this case. We've lowered the standard enough to guarantee progress in 2022. Maybe we have a chance to win 9 games and protect that sacred title of no losing seasons?

also worth noting that the offense became progressively worse as the season wore on. As opponents were able to see what we do they did a better job stopping it. As they say the book was written. We finished the season without scoring a td in the first half 7 of 8 games. Not only is that a shockingly bad stat I don't see how anyone escapes that alive. IMO the damning piece is the in ability to adjust to the issues we had. There was no progress. Any coach worth a crap has the ability to find progress. Our o-line actually got better when the o-line coach quit during the season. That's how bad it became ...and the word is on the street the guy had no idea what he was doing. How does that happen? That's on Canada.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Don't count on 9 wins next year unless we get a better QB than our current options. Despite Ben's significant limitations, he was money late in games and won most of our games coming from behind. Without those comeback wins, we were a two win team. Sure we probably would have won a few of those games with a Mason Rudolph who could have used better mobility to get an additional score or two earlier in those games. However, I doubt we'd be better than 5-11-1 with a Rudolph led team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    leslie-nielsen-quotes-as-frank-drebin-17-1.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    How about Tyler Huntley?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Most of the scoring the offense did manage came in the 2nd half after Ben took more control and opponents were protecting leads and basically letting us move the ball. The offense was actually worse than the stats say were. I just think MT is spinning it to find security in more of the same. I'm sure he thinks an improved o-line and new QB will fix the issues on offense. Can't get any worse so we shall see. I think the one aspect that he's not prepared for is turn overs. We survived low scoring games because we didn't turn the ball over often. We actually had a positive turnover margin. If that goes negative you can easily add a few more losses to the season. This is why I wonder if Mason will actually be given the opportunity to start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    If the Ravens are willing to trade the guy in division, I don't want him.

• Like Like x 4
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    How can you make that deduction for #2 ? I'm not sure one proves the other let alone conclusively.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's Canada's 2nd year on the staff but 1st as the boss in charge of the offense. Is that what you mean?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mason and Haskins are going to have the right to compete to be the next FRANCHISE Qb? Am I reading that wrong?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Based on the amount of team success the Steelers had had, and Ben's close relationship with Arians I don't see how if Tomlin also stood up for Arians that he would have been fired. I have always felt that. (At the same time I liked the choice to fire Arians and his 12th to 20th best offenses.)

Come to find out Tomlin oversaw the most ineffectual and conservative dink and dunk offense I have ever witnessed, and decided to keep the OC. Tomlin liked what he saw.

The same offense that makes Ben or Bruce want to throw up Mike likes. Logically the inverse will be true.

15. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
  16. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How many times does your Boss tell you he wants something done?

17. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes, it was "Rudolph and Haskins".

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Really think you are overstating the Oline got better with the starters out and after Klemm left. The Cleveland game their certainly was improvement, but the stains played uninspired football. Against the Ravebs and Chiefs the line sucked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I wish it were a April 1st press conference, but no, you’re not reading it wrong. If some fans want a tank season to get a high draft pick, they’re going to get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Rudolph the weak throws third tier
    Had a very whiny pose (like Baker)
    And when Garrett hit him
    You could even say he froze (like Diontae)

All of the other Steelers
    Used to laugh when he took aim
    They never let poor Rudolph
    Start any of their games (not past the wild card)

Then when Benny took his leave
    Tomlin came to say
    "Rudolph I guess you throw alright
    Won't you guide my team to tie?"

Then all the Steelers loved him
    As they shouted out with glee (Yippee!)
    Rudolph the weak throws third tier
    You'll go down in history (like Andy Dalton)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I want Tyler Shough in 2023. Watch, he's going to blow up. Suck for Shough. I'm calling it now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That’s why I wanted Ben gone after. last season. Then we would’ve found out this season what we had in Rudolph and if it was good great and it’s not we finished poorly and have a high draft pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. SteelersGermany

SteelersGermany Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    We found it out in 2019

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They never wanted Ben back, Tomlin and Canada want a running QB and run a college offense.

• Winner Winner x 2
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Kind of. I wanted an off-season and training camp where Rudolph knew that he was the starter. Will get that this upcoming season