1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

SteelerGlenn’s off-season moves

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I've been pondering that on so observations AQL made about both Claypool and Johnson. The latter reportedly worked hard on his drops from last year, actually seemed to have it fixed and then it hit hard the last 5 or 6 games. I think that is mental and could be fixed, he has heart and work ethic..can and will be fixed are the question.

What really bothers me about Chase is at times he just seems lacking effort. I may be misreading it, but even last year it seemed rather than fighting for the reception he looked to the ref expecting a PI call. He may well be able to be coached, but won't be the first WR for the Steelers who displayed freakish physical talent and never developed

2. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I don't think he's any worse than Rudolph.

Chicago may not be a 100% accurate barometer on Trubisky. Matt Nagy was an absolute train wreck as a head coach and play caller.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He was good for the Browns, but there was talk that he didn't play well for the Jaguars in 2020, either. I had hoped it was just being in a bad situation, but clearly he isn't the same player he was with the Browns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    If Sam Howell is there at 20 get him. Also get your vet FA QB Mariota type.

I agree on just about everything else. I don't care for sleeping at the QB position though.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Moore has been getting his ass kicked all season. I think he has upside though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Start of the season yes, he's improved each week. I would describe it as each game was a 2 step forwards, 1 step back experience. However, to put that in perspective, he's a 4th round rookie playing the toughest position on the line.

7. SteelersGermany

SteelersGermany Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    It depends on what do you understand with good players? Good players for me on this defense (if contract and injury doesnt matters) are Watt, Minkah, Heyward, Tuitt, Adams, Wormley, Highsmith and a bunch of players which could became a good player next year like Loudermilk, Norwood etc. But are they all on the same level? Are these players all used correctly based on their skills? Also you have to take player development, especially young players, into account. Not everyone is a Pro Bowler in their first year. We have issues in coverage and run game. But especially in the middle. We need here better player from the outside. U have to find players like Parson or Trevon Diggs. I think, 2 good to very good upgrades could make this unit a special one. But the biggest issue is the coaching part. U cant tell me, that all the other defenses or offenses in this league have all pro player at every position. Mate, we have 2 All Pros and very likely the DPOY on our team. but i didn´t see any blitzes from our safeties or nickelbacks in the last games. And i didnt see any improvement about the coverage issues for years now. U cant have 11 all pros, but u can have a very good unit which becomes elite with good coaching.

On offense i count JuJu, Harris, Freiermuth, Dotson, maybe DJ beside his drops as good players. This unit have a lot more needs, especially at Oline. But as said in many other threads. The main thing, 30% up to 50% for a winning team is the Quaterback position. Can u imagine the success of TB, of KC, GB or even of the bengals without having Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers or Burrow? The only exception are the titans with Tannehill. This success i didnt get, but they didnt play a game in this postseason until now.

Look, i know we are a one an done team again. But we are not completely flat worst like jax, jets, texans, giants, WFT and so on. We just need to be better to survive the wildcard and divisional round. And therefore, besides good coaching staff u need a very good to elite Quaterback. If u dont have him, u will be never successfully in postseason. Then u can built and built and built a team. In the meanwhile TJ retires and the good rookies becomes to expensive. Okay, then we build again again.

But i´m with u mate. We shouldnt crash the bank, sell our house for an old top-tier Quarterback. We need all picks to build our team. The only exception for me would be Burrow or Herbert. I would sent 3 first round picks for them. But the case is that i trust Rudolph zero. Their will be no improvement. This guy is done and is nothing more then a backup at bests. He will hurt us not only in the competition but also in the rebuilding of the team. If you go into the next season with him as a starter, that sends a message to everyone in the team and to possible free agencies and to us as fans as well.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    As much as a putz as his brother is I wouldn't object to Carr if the Raiders go in another direction.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    For Chase, I think 50/50 jump-up-and-get-it ability is god given. You either have it or you don't.

I guess I don't know what the deal truly is, did Ben just not have the arm or does Chase fail to get separation?

Chase is not going to succeed going up and getting it IMHO, no matter how much he practices. I think they need to rethink how they utilize him.

I'm not sure exactly what to do on D-Line. Loudermilk and Wormley are here to stay. There is reason to be excited for them next year. Cam is Cam. Adams is good, but if you can upgrade him do it.

We can bring in some depth, but I don't see how the unit gets much better???

It all comes down to if Tuitt comes back.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  10. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I don’t think we should wait to assemble all the supporting pieces, and then find a QB. Those other players have shorter average career spans and less impact on the team than the QB.

Grab a promising QB when you can, but without mortgaging the future (via lost draft picks).

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Sign Chase up for ballet classes.

I too think you roll with what you got at QB unless some unseen opportunities rise up somehow somewhere that don’t raid the pantry.

focus on the glaring holes and lack of depth without mortgaging draft picks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Both ILBs are bad that's a bigger need, Loudermilk should improve, if Tuitt and Alalu come back then they only need one more young NT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not by Myles Garrett :shrug:

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Loudermilk was one of the guys getting gashed regularly. Right now he’s solid depth. If Tuitt and AluAlu don’t return to form we’re in big trouble. Bush will rebound.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Is it just me or is RG the biggest oline need? Seems like the worst breakdowns are coming from the center or RG.(Green will get better and we have a serviceable backup).

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly. I don't know how anyone can just believe Tuitt, and Alualu will be back like it's a for sure thing. Alualu missed 6 games with injuries last year, and I think 14 this year. Now add another year 2 His age. Tuitt...Well who knows about Him:shrug:
    I just don't know how the Steelers can go into next year depending on them.

17. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Center is IMO. Turner can go n Green will suck at G also. Will still be too small n get pushed around. Again IMO

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Exactly. And I’m not saying the ILB situation was good, but if your DL isn’t occupying blockers the ILB are doomed

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Alualu is gone, it is up to Tuitt for what he wants to do...

Okay ... this is going to sound terrible ... but I think Wormley and Loudermilk have grown over the course of the year, I'm eager to see them next year ... I dont think Steelers would ever do this, but why not package Tuitt in a trade to sweeten the pot for Rodgers or Wilson. What is the use of more sacks with Tuitt if our QB is garbage? Take a chance!

I'm getting Kendrell Bell vibes from Bush, I don't know if he ever bounces back.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Steelers will have to hit on a 1st round quarterback or sign Aaron Rodgers. If none of those things happen, Steelers are in trouble for the forseeable future.

21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Oh man Kendrell Bell was amazing that first year!
    Then completely disappeared...

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The formula is simple. Find a QB, build really good offensive and defensive lines and everything else will fall into place. Good lines will make all other positions better.

23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Lynn Swann reference????? Didn't he do ballet for balance help???

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I can't see a team trading for Tuitt. There is just too much uncertainty around his status.

They aren't getting Rodgers or Wilson. If you want to get into fantasyland, go with the rumors of trading Tomlin to the Raiders. Here is the scenario. Raiders trade two first-round picks for Wilson or more than that for Rodgers. Then they trade Carr and a couple of second-round picks to the Steelers for Tomlin. Remember, they actually got more than that for Gruden when they traded him to the Bucs. Then use the cap space and the extra draft pick this year to help rebuild the offensive line and plug some holes on defense.

Of course, it won't happen. The Steelers won't trade Tomlin. I'm not even sure the Raiders would make that move, but there is some logic to it.

25. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    question is would you do it? It’s at the least somewhat an enticing scenario in my opinion.