1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

says it all

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jan 18, 2022.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Some of these thread titles leave a lot to be desired.
    Turns out it’s just another bash Tomlin thread.
    Look at me!

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

what was untrue about it? should the fans and the organization be proud of the last decade? all of cowhers players are gone now, let's see where we stand. MT should have a lot of control once colbert retires. calling a spade a spade sounds like what this article says. what is there to bash him about? it's all historical fact. are we better now then when he first took over? say that we are with a straight face. i root for a team, not a player or coach. i want the franchise to succeed and when they are not things need called out. my seating license cost me a lot. my ticket prices have not come down. my parking passes have risen. let's see some progress towards improving. i've put out a nice chunk of change for over 50 years X 4. i expect some progress. that's what he was hired to bring wasn't he? this article is pretty spot on i feel. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Where's Paul Zeis wrong though?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    First time in 50 years, the steelers haven't won't a single playoff game in a 5 year stretch. Wow, that is not good.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    He's not. Glenn is a 100 year old homer.;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That article sums up my feelings about Tomlin. I honestly can't figure out why people think he's a good coach and should be retained. What is it that he offers this team? A chance to be at least .500 and get smashed in the playoffs?

There is such a thing as a culture on a pro sports team and when a coach leaves and a new one comes in, the culture doesn't change over night. It takes time. So yeah, when Cowher left, the culture he built remained. It slowly changed over time. So sure, I give Tomlin credit for getting the most out of his players those first 5 years. He took advantage of established players and an established culture and he got the most out of it.

But what ability has he shown to build his own team and create his own culture? What the hell has he done since 2010? Lost to Tim Tebow Lost to Joe Flacco. He basically lost to AJ McCarron until Cinci decided to literally give us that game. Every honest Steelers fan knows we didn't win that game. The game was over until Cinci gifted us a win. We did win 2 games against Miami and KC, got stomped by Blake Bortles, a Browns team in the midst of a Covid outbreak and then Mahomes.

So since 2010, it's been one massive failure after another. How many years does it take before we stop talking about our 2 SB appearances? We haven't even been mediocre in the playoffs. We're losing to inferior teams that are starting mediocre QB's, with the exception of 2 guys, Mahomes and Brady.

The standard is the standard. Apparently our standard has become .500 in the regular season and losing in the playoffs. This franchise is becoming a joke.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I agree with all of this except that you understated what Cowher left. He left a historically great defense with its coordinator in tact.

Lebeau was fired after 2014 for having the 18th best defense. In the playoffs that year the Steelers allowed 30 points (7 off a 21 yard drive after a turnover). How can Butler keep his job after having playoff collapse after playoff collapse? Because this is Tomlin's defense.

This year the Steelers gave up more 40 point games and more 200 yard rushing games than all the games in Lebeau's 13 years as DC combined... maybe Butler will be fired but will be replaced with an "internal hire" in Teryl Austin if that happens. Tomlin is immune from the same consequence Lebeau faced.

We are watching Tomlin gain far more power as his career progresses. He is now the defacto GM unless someone from outside the organization is hired. So part of it is culture and more of it is strategy and personnel decisions.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Tomlin should be looked at without looking at color of his skin. He was good till 2010 with a cast of very good players. He should have lost the superbowl if not for Ben's comeback and Santonio's incredible catch. After that it's been meh. Chuck Noll was meh after 1984 but he didnt have a qb and still managed to beat teams with superior players on occasions. I do not have any expectations from Tomlin that he will out coach the opposition with schemes or sound coaching. He almost always loses to bottom dwellers in the league. Big Ben also relied on his big arm and athletism to win. He was never a high IQ qb. Good coaching could always contain his sandlot style playmaking. Chuck Noll would have cut him three years ago....time to get on with your life's work. Tomlin's time to go has come.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    As much as MT deserves the criticism for the past decade or so relative to PO wins, the team has been competitive, or it wouldn't be .500 or better for so long. That is a positive thing but, unfortunately, that is all he's got. MT runs a system based on routine and precedents set down long ago. He is inflexible, unable to deviate before or during games, intellectually lazy, and he's not an X's and O's type of coach. He has a one game plan fits all mentality and starts each game the same way with scripted plays. He hires coaches that will be subordinate to him, not complementary. They work for the cheapest NFL franchise as it pertains to investing in the overall coaching staff. You get what you pay for, and the revolving door seems to be non-stop because of it.

My biggest issue isn't with MT or his coaches because they are what they are. They continue to come to work and we keep getting the same end of season results. My biggest issue lies with the Rooney's who control who comes to work and fills all those coaching chairs there. All of these posts are hitting the mark about MT performance IMO, but my opinion = less than nothing. Until something happens that the Rooney's feel its time for a leadership change, buckle up for more of the same. All of this talk about how we overcame this or that is silly as other teams do the same and some to a greater degree. All excuses do is enable the continuation of substandard performance. I mentioned on a separate thread about our situation being the result of decisions made by MT/ KC/ ARII. We were in cap hell because we made decisions that got us there. Old QB and no prospects, we own that too. Poor talent on the team, we own that too. Injuries yes but so does everyone. What has happened to this team that didn't or doesn't happen to every team in the league? I can't think of anything. So, ARII is my focal point for accountability of where we are today and what he decides to do will be another decision that will decide what happens in the future. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hard to tell he is even our coach since he is the only one the sidelines looking like some damn ninja. Then he'll uncover his face for a while and return to his ninja impersonation off and on, off and on. WTF is that all about? JMO>

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m not at all saying that the article is wrong. I also want Tomlin gone.

My problem is with the thread itself. BS vague thread title only to click on the link and figure out that it’s just another thread complaining about Tomlin. It’s not like there isn’t already enough of those. I mean we already have the official fire Mike Tomlin thread. But no somebody had to have their own “look at me thread”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. chucknoll

chucknoll Member

Dec 28, 2021
    Glenn you are an insufferable turd.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Not defending nor debating anyone but this is quite the intellectual 2nd post. Curious what the first post had to say. Good chance it's an alias screen name for another well known member.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Instead of trolling every thread maybe you could just ignore it?

17. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    All this talk about Tomlin is wasted. He will be here for as long as he wants to be. He has a pretty good gig so why should he not stay? The Rooneys don't care about what we think. Until the last 5 years or so I was not in favor of letting Tomlin go. However it is time for him to go. So sit back and relax because for the next 10 years he is head coach

18. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015

I think there were some personal issues between DL and MT. The two did not seem too fond of each other. MT wanted to control the defense and DL wasn't going to be pushed aside by someone with little to no experience running a defense. Butler was kept to run the defense MT wanted. The decline in performance coincidently coincided with MT taking control. We used to produce great LB's with ease. Stopping the run and running the ball where rarely issues. Butler has been here so long he's probably protected to a point, by the owners and management. That's why I expect him to retire vs Tomlin firing him. That's how bad leaders handle things. Seen it in business and sure appears like that in this case.

Notice any experienced coaches we bring in don't seem to stick around long? The only stories about the greatness of MT come from the media and maybe a few players offering luke warm support. You don't hear much from the local beat writers and past coaches. You do hear whispers of issues from some media folks willing to air gossip from other franchises and coaches. That gossip comes from somewhere and the issues this team has had kind of support it.

The owners have a much better perspective to what is going on than any of us. They made a decision to back MT vs the old regime. Who's right and who's wrong is debatable but 10 years is more than enough time to build and rebuild a team to be competitive in the playoffs. I suspect there is security in knowing a change could just as easily go bad as good. Finding great coaches is not easy. There's comfort in knowing MT will probably won't embarrass the owners...maybe make the playoffs.

Any issues we have had over the past 10 years are on MT. For every step forward I see two steps back. The examples of success come from the few exceptional players we have had ... Watt, Cam, Harris, Pat, Minkah to name a few. The offense fell apart with the departure of Todd Haley. The previous three coordinators were highly successful. The last 2 have been terrible. The defense has shown zero ability to deal with injuries and no ability to play consistently. IMO it's a big red flag when you have backups out performing starters or players cut then producing elsewhere. We've seen little to no development from players everyone acknowledges have the tools. (claypool, Highsmith, JuJu to a point, Washington, Bush, Edmunds, etc)

We no longer have high quality coordinators on this team . Great leaders usually bring in quality people. I think Cowher was very good at this. MT seems more interested in finding inexperienced coaches for what ever reason... maybe the owners have refused to pay? IDK but it's glaring when you look at our coaching staff at OC, WR, O-line....pretty much anyone outside of Butler has no track record of success. I recall at one time having 3 former head coaches on the staff. Why did Tomlin go away from that? And now it's Butler that is going to be the scapegoat on a team that has completely failed offensively for 2-3 seasons. The defensive issues can just as easily be MT's fault as Butler's. How many years have we heard that the running game would improve? It's gone backwards every single season. I can really see the owners giving MT one more season to see what he can do with a different QB. Also gives the new GM time to evaluate and search for replacements if needed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well when the thread title doesn't give an accurate description of the content. And I'm not trolling.

20. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    lol. so you just want him to edit the title? I think the title was fine. Ignore if you don't like it. or maybe even discuss and voice your opinion if you disagree or agree? It's a message board about a pro football team that I think everyone can agree has been largely disappointing in recent seasons. SO it seems perfectly logical to have these kinds of discussions when your franchise has always had high expectations. 10 seasons is long enough. I think most fans are ready for change. Ben's done, we've done pretty much nothing in 10-11 years except mediocrity. It seems pretty natural to turn the page on this coaching staff and see if new ideas can help.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m ready for a change at the helm. We’re not going to get a change at the helm. Not yet at least.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who says don't discuss these things? Dude I want Tomlin gone also, but I don't start redundant threads with misleading titles and lazy ass punctuation. There's already enough Tomlin threads discussing the same stuff. Post this crap in there. And how the **** I'm I supposed to ignore it if I don't even know what the ****ing thread is about until I open it. And by the way you still don't even know what the thread is about after you open it cause the first post doesn't even clarify. It's not until you click on the link that you know.
    And look at your response. You go on a rant about Tomlin. Pathetic. Stick to the topic you're responding to.

23. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Judging by the presser today, Tomlin and Canada aren't going anywhere, and Austin will be the DC. It is what it is. I personally want change. Now is the perfect time for it. But it's not coming so I'll support whats here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Same old play it safe Rooney. Sigh...

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017