1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Well, the new nfl format was ....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by defva, Jan 17, 2022.

1. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    A total failure.We endured one additional game.Which, didn't do anything, but allow two additional bad teams to make the playoffs. Those additional bad teams were blown out. Some would say ... more football is a good thing. I would say ... I prefer quality over quantity.

• Agree Agree x 12
  2. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    We have too small of a sample size to judge it. Perhaps this year is an underperforming anomaly. It will take 5 - 10 years until we can have a fair assessment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The more Goodell changes the NFL, the more it turns into chit. Having 2 7th seed teams get destroyed doesn't promote the game or improve the entertainment value. How many turned their sets off during the 4th qtr? As entertainment, it wasn't good. Revenue generating, I'd imagine it did better. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    There was 14 teams in last years playoffs as well, the only new thing this year was the extra game which isn't really extra since there was one less pre-season game.

5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Last year the 7th seed lost 27-24, hardly getting destroyed.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    That's actually a very good point.

If the choice is between an extra week of regular season and an extra playoff game, no matter how bad, vs a pre-season game, it's sort of a no-brainer. Hell, I'd rather have a hot poker in the eye than watcch pre-season football.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    #3 Buffalo destroyed #6 New England

Let's get rid of #6 too

Let's just get rid of the wild cards altogether.... win your division or go home. ... until #1 beats down a#4... then 2 vs 3 with the 1 getting a bye

HACK

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Its a money grab

All it does is make it worse for the #2 seed to plow through somebody and risk getting somebody injured.

Speaking of which why did he leave Mahomes in the game up like 3 scores with 7 minutes to go.

TJ Watt sacked Mahomes, could you imagine how mad KC fans would be if he would of gotten hurt on a meaningless play.

• Like Like x 1
  9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    The only upset was San Fran on Dallas and was it really an upset.

Dallas always lays an egg in the playoffs and San Fran was playing dang good down the stretch.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The eagles and Steelers probably didn't deserve to be in the playoffs, but the NFL wants those $$$$$$$$$$$$.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Let me fix that for you.

the nfl, owners, and players want those $

12. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    You know who’s going to be pissed? The Rams and the Cardinals who are going to have a short week to prepare for the next game

13. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Smh yup. All about money.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    For the past few years now, all of the major sports leagues have been expanding the postseason. And they're not done yet. It's all about $$$$$$$

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    The 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 happen the same as always.

The 2 v 7 will almost always be a blowout and not much good but it gives us as fans one more game to watch our team, and the players some valuable playoff experience. At least Najee, Freiermuth and others got some playoff experience in one of the toughest venues. I agree that those games aren't going to be worth watching unless it's our team but it does have some benefits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The players didn't want 17 games, the owners did, the NFLPA caved to the owners demands.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Tampa beat the Chiefs in the SB last year 31-9....shouldn't even have played the game

• Like Like x 2
  18. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Its going to water down the playoffs same as the NBA.

And extra game for players to get worn down, the 2nd best team loses its 1st round bye which levels the playing field for a lower tier team to get an upset. All to force 2 more games into the 1st week. I didnt even watch them all.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That really is bs and shouldn’t happen in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Let me fix that for you:
    the NFL, Owners, Players, and Television stations want those $.
    And the Fans want those extra games (or did all of you Steelers fans not watch the game Sunday night?)

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They should just do away with the playoffs altogether. Winner from each conference plays the Super Bowl.

Do some of you realize how ridiculous you sound. The NFL is in the business to make money. Fans that actually spend money want these games. Cities who host these games make revenue. Do you think they’re adding extra playoff games if there’s not interest.
    Only people complaining are a bunch of old timers who are still hung up on the way things used to be.

• Like Like x 2
  22. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm going to disagree with you a little on this. While everything you said about the NFL making money is true and inevitable, that's part of what bothers a lot of people. There are people who genuinely prefer more integrity to the games over just "more football." That doesn't mean they're old timers who are hung up on something. I still prefer 6 teams in each conference b/c I think it makes the regular season a little more meaningful. But I'm generally the kind of person who enjoys change and mixing things up. Heck, it's part of my occupation to do just that, but in this case, I still prefer 12 playoff teams over 14.

• Like Like x 1
  23. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't know. Last year the #7s played reasonable competitive games. Indy lost by 3, Chi by 12. But other round 1 games were just as bad or worse..
    This year Pit and Phi got beat badly, but NE and Az got beat worse. You can argue that there shouldn't be the extra playoff game. But it's not obvious to me that there's a huge gap between #2 and #7. Hell, just a few days ago lots of people here had faith in a #7 seed.

Besides, does anyone complain about the NCAA BB tournament? In nearly 40 yrs, a #16 seed beat a #1 seed only once. That's pretty non competitive, but I don't recall anyone suggesting they should shrink the field of 64.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wouldn't surprise me if the NFL expanded playoffs to 8 teams per conference. Half of the conferences make the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Uh, it’s a business. Are you an art major?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2