1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

SteelerGlenn’s off-season moves

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 17, 2022.

1. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see how they don't just stick with Rudolph, as Glenn and Mike said, this team has sooooo many holes they can't all be fixed with free agency or the draft. Sad thing is..... with Rudolph.... his best option might just be to keep Canada as OC.... to keep the playbook dumbed down.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We have some good young guys on defense that may turn into solid contributors. Norwood, Loudermilk, Whiterspoon. The problem with these guys this year was they were pressed into way too many snaps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I would say CB is our #1 need. Right now Haden is not under contract; do we have anyone who can be #1 CB currently on the team?

4. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Ideally if Pitt could have moved the ball more than 44 yards in the 1st half it would have limited the Chiefs opportunities and maybe we would have only been down 14-7 at half and possibly snuck a FG in. It would have been a different game if we could have sustained any drives beyond when the game was out of reach. You can't ask any defense to be out there as much as ours was and shutdown the chiefs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No way CB is our #1 need. It’s up there, but at least the defense was adequate and even good at times. The Offense was downright pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Then what Steeler under contract do you have as our #1 CB right now?

7. SteelersGermany

SteelersGermany Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    On Defense side CB is definitely our first need. Haden is no n#1 CB even more and not worse the money. I like the play of Witherspoon. But he is a rookie and no #1 CB as well.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :this!: with this completely.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    None. We either draft or FA. One thing for sure there’s no way you let Haden out the door until we find his replacement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Only one QB, or maybe a backup as well

• Like Like x 1
  11. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Can't really argue with any of it. Alualu is going to be 35 years old in May. Do we really bring him back? We do need to address the DL. IMO a good NT should be our #1 free agent target... and the 1b target should be OT. Then use the first round on a LB, Safety, or another O-lineman or D-line. Take the most talented player on the board unless we think that the most talented player is a corner. (Then we should ignore that opinion because we will most definitely be wrong.) We need a starting Safety, Corner, ILB , NT, WR x2, OT, and Center. Given all of the holes we have we might be stuck having to re sign Edmunds.

I'd agree O-line and D-line are the two most important things we must address. ILB is also an issue as we only have Bush signed and there's a good chance he will not be any better than we saw this season. I'm afraid the team might ignore the O-line again. They might actually think Green and Moore are the answer. There's a clear drop off in pass defense when Haden is not playing. The ILB play was largely disastrous.

None of this will really matter if Canada is back. Butler is supposedly retiring...and if he doesn't he will be MT's scapegoat. I don't see how we can be competitive next season with out a total coaching change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The talent on the Offense, and Defense is wasting the talent on the offense, and defense.
    Offense that is actually good : what 4 guys????
    Defense that is actually good(not counting Guys that could, or could not be coming back) : what maybe 4 guys.
    That's 8 players total that are actually forsure good players....on the whole team, and People think it matters what Qb is here at this point????
    Build the team, and don't be the Jags, browns, lions, and others that spend the rest of their lives chasing Qbs, and paying for it.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Just as an FYI, Witherspoon is 26 with 5 years experience. And he doesn’t cover well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Witherspoon is not a rookie. This was his fifth season in the NFL, and he is an unrestricted free agent.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    When referring to Canada's playbook, it is redundant to add dumbed down. It is inferred. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Defense needs 2 be better then good at times. Every SB We have won the Defense wasn't just good at times. We have Won SBs with just OK Offense. We have never won a SB with just OK Defenses.

17. SteelersGermany

SteelersGermany Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2021
    You're right. He seemed to be a rookie fore me :facepalm: but he could be a decent and cheap weapon

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did you just suggest Trubisky as an insurance policy? Chicago fans would love that as it would mean the bears weren't the only team dumb enough to give him a job

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah I thought Juju was hopeful that Ben had enough left for a magical run but then he hurt the shoulder and reality set in.

If they do decide to roll with Mason my hope is they scrap everything and start the playbook fresh and commit to him instead of staying the course.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I still have faith in Trubisky. But then I also had faith in Paxton Lynch...

21. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    If we could stop the run then the pass defense would have been better. The #1 issue on the defense is up front. D-line and ILB. Of course we need to sign a corner or draft one - probably both but in terms of need corner is not the biggest problem by far. I also think Edmunds is a UFA. I would love got see us land a good SS to play along side Minkah. That would also help our ILB play. Alualu is gonna be 35 years old, you can't rely on him as a starter.

We have so many holes to fill it's incredible. We will have no choice but to start guys that we don't like. I'm afraid we might ignore the O-line again and just bring in some depth and a respected O-line coach and hope for the best. That would be a huge mistake but it wouldn't shock me to see it happen. We have cap space but we have to fill an incredible amount of roster spots. Haden, Edmunds, Juju, Turner, Okorafor, McCloud, Witherspoon, Maulet, Ballage, Finney, Washington, Adams, etc. Schubert has 2 more years on his contract but should be cut. You can't pay someone $9m to sit on the bench. The same can probably be said about Tuitt if he's not healthy. Next season will be a totally different team that should have a new coaching staff and a new GM.

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Middle of defense needs improving.

Adams helped at NT, but if you can get an absolute game changer in the draft I say do it.

ILB’s are below the line. I saw two gaffes by Bush last night at the very least. I would get rid of a majority of that unit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Thats the thing. I cannot tell you this is what the steelers try to do. Some coaches have specific gameplans and target certain guys to run that offense. Others change their philosophy depending on the players on the team. I have no clue what Pittsburgh is trying to do on offense beyond pointless motion that confuses the wrong players.

• Like Like x 1
  24. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Our ILB play would be better if we put an actual bush on the field. Problem is we traded up to get Bush and we have Schubert under contract for 2 more seasons. We can cut him but that means we better have a good alternative. I don't understand what happened to Schubert. He was pretty good before coming here. Now he can't beat out Spillane for playing time?

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The DL stinks. Opposing RB’s are easily getting to the second level. The ILB don’t stand a chance

26. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I actually do not think Moore at LT has been an issue. He’s improved every week. Yes he has struggled here and there but he’s a rookie and is trending up. If they want to say fail on Green at C and either draft one or go the FA route that makes sense to me.

I agree on signing JuJu.

They definitely need another RB.

DT needs to be the top priority, even more than ILB. I think strong play by the DL covers up issues with ILB. I’m not saying that ILB isn’t an issue but I would but I would prioritize DT.

• Agree Agree x 1