1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

18 gotta go

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jeff Laizure, Jan 16, 2022.

1. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Thanks for correcting me.

2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Burress was unhappy playing for the Steelers and announced after a playoff loss that he would not come back. Unless he’s Jerry Rice, which he is not, any front office would have let him walk.
    With Wallace, yes they did make an effort to resign him. Judging from the trajectory of his and AB’s career, I’m glad our offer wasn’t good enough for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    The point is that the Steelers have drafted 24 WR under Colbert and 2 have been extended on long-term deals regardless of circumstances.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Shoot. I do that with nearly every thread. Where's my appreciation?:hijacked:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Sorry, I'll send a juice box and some oreos right over

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I prefer milk with my oreos.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Not that I'm defending Ben, we all know he has had his WTF moments in his career. But...

When you're playing behind an OL that gives you less than 2 seconds to drop back, go through progressions and then get rid of the ball - there's not many QBs in the history of the NFL that could be perfect all the time. Perhaps some of those throws were just "avoid the sack and get rid of the ball" type of decisions?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm sorry you didn't realize that the Steelers didn't want to commit to Burress because they had concerns about his off-field behavior. The rumor at the time was that they wanted to get him the hell away from Roethlisberger because they thought the two would get in trouble together. It's okay that you don't know what you are talking about, but you should acknowledge it when others correct you.

The drops are a killer and they may end up keeping the team from committing to Johnson, but Holmes was violating league rules and bragging about it on social media. The last straw was supposedly posting that he had just done a "wake and bake." This was from a guy who had been busted for possession during a traffic stop. It wasn't just that he smoked. He was stupid about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Colbert is stepping down. I guess you missed that, too.

10. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Colbert has been pretty bad at drafting the last couple years. Not sure why they should have him step down after this draft class. They should tell him thanks for your services and part ways and bring in the new person for the draft class.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    what does this have to do with Dionte Johnson?

12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I don't want to get into a petty argument. You say the Steelers had no choice but to trade Santonio. He was suspended one time in his career for 4 games that's it.

Your argument is that Santonio's tweets are more detrimental to the Steelers than Diontae's drops on 3rd down in a playoff game? I strongly disagree.

The good news for Diontae is that he doesn't have to worry about playoff pressure any more. Maybe he gets extended for that reason. :shrug:

13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Bad how? His drafts have not been that bad. 18 and 19 probably his worst.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is just SDOT's obsession with his false claim that the Steelers chose to pass on Metcalf even though he was selected before their pick.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are wrong again. I did not say that the Steelers had no choice but to trade Holmes. I did not say that his Tweet was more detrimental than Johnson's drops. I'm just explaining to you why they traded him and how the situation is very different from what they are facing with Johnson because you clearly didn't understand what happened with Holmes. He was traded due to off-field issues, not his performance on the field.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I never once said Holmes was traded for his on field performance.

I said that the standard a WR has to exhibit to get a second contract has to be very high. Hines Ward should be a HOF and AB sabotaged his HOF career. That is the level of receiver the Steelers have shown a willingness to spend on.

Of course you will bring up Mike Wallace again who was one of the best deep threats ever and Ben's favorite target but nowhere near an elite WR. You got me. Had they signed Wallace they wouldn't have signed AB, and not signing Wallace cost the Steelers Keenan Lewis so there's that also.

The fact is that it is incredibly rare for the Steelers to lock up WR long term. Juju has been productive, tough, a good teammate etc. and not been extended long term.

Juju is better than Diontae and can't get an extension so... ?

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    When you brought Holmes up, you only mentioned his on-field performance, ignoring his off-field issues. That was either intentionally misleading or you simply didn't know about Holmes having off-field issues that were the reason he was traded.

Your assertion that Smith-Schuster is better than Johnson doesn't really hold up, either. I love the guy, but he definitively is not a No. 1. Johnson could be one if he can figure out the issue with drops. He has an ability to consistently get separation from defenders that the other Pittsburgh receivers lack. That includes Smith-Schuster.

Also, you are assuming the new GM will continue the same practices as Colbert. It is possible but far from a sure thing. Just because teams always do things a certain way doesn't mean they won't adapt. Didn't they prove that with Watt's contract?

18. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Juju has caught 69% of targets for 11.9 Y/R in his career.

Diontae has caught 63% of targets for 10.9 Y/R in his career.

Juju is one of the best blocking WR in the NFL while Diontae is undersized.

I do think Juju is better especially after last night.

Why isn't Juju locked up?

19. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Jeff.

Some of you are completely “nuts”. You talk about:

“Throwing out the baby with the bath water.”

GET LOST! I am usually not a “rude” person here but come on.

Yes, I get that Diontae has had his share of drops. In his Defense though:

• He has improved in that area.

• He comes from a smaller school (Toledo) and HAS ONLY been with us for three years.

• He was First-Team All-MAC selection as a Wide Receiver . (Not sure what round he was drafted).

He has only gotten progressively better:

• 2019: 59 receptions

• 2020: 88 receptions

• 2021: 107 receptions

I am looking at a glass that is Definitely “Half-Full” here when it comes to DJ. He is just coming into his prime. He is the only Wide Receiver on our Team that can get any type of “Separation”. The man needs to keep the course and continue to improve on his craft. That is key with any player, continue at it to getting better. I think he has the right attitude to do just such. Again, Wow! Really “18 gotta go”. Uh, ya’ right. UNBELIEVABLE!

How many here can say that by the end of year three at their jobs, that they were "All-World", especially in jobs that are considered "Professional". I could see if he wasn’t making any progress, but his yearly statistics prove otherwise. Now, he may not be, or become, a” True #1 WR but he definitely should be a part of our WR crew. No questions asked.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    and the wastes Bush and Schobert

21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    is this a trick question?

Or do you mean locked up in prison?

22. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    What? Contractually. What Juju did to Burfict was perfectly legal... well technically legal within the confines of a football game.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are including numbers from when Smith-Schuster had Brown diverting the defense's attention and Roethlisberger when he was still an outstanding quarterback. He has fallen off dramatically since then.

• Like Like x 1
  24. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Why has Juju "fallen off dramatically"? Because he has been used for YAC on short throws?

Juju needs to leave. I kind of think it's pathetic he wants to stick around in Pittsburgh given his usage and the type of offense being run. You don't think he'd explode in LAR or TB offense?! OK... we will just disagree again. I think Juju is capable of 100, 1100 and 10 in a better offense.

2020 Juju caught 76% of targets for 8.6 and Diontae caught 61% for 10.5. Worked out to Juju getting 0.1 yards per target more so almost identical.

Like I said though Juju is a big physical receiver who blocks and can get YAC on screens etc. He also doesn't choke. That makes him better than Diontae. :shrug:

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    While I agree DJ is a good Wr, and has been getting better His Drops in the later part of the season, and playoffs bother Me.
    People always bring up stats , but it's not what you do a lot of times , but when You do it.
    Best example off the Top of My head would be P. Manning..... best regular season Qb I've ever seen...then in the playoffs many times He would Choke(get tight), and if He made a mistake it would stay with Him through the rest of the game ....most of the time compounding it.
    I just hope DJ isn't that guy. I truly don't know either way yet. He seems like a hard worker.

• Agree Agree x 1