1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rooney Rule used as it was intended.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Jan 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Ward's coaching resume is somewhat short but that he got to interview and the experience of it is impressive.

Side note, in listening to NFLonNBC radio show yesterday and they talked about Cully's firing and how the Texans GM didn't give him the chance. I think about his introduction press conference where he said he took the job because it was the one offered him and the GM lost it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Good for Hines to get that opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I could see Ward being a good HC. Houston is the new Cleveland as far as jobs are concerned. If he put together an experienced staff, I could see him competing in the AFC South. I would be curious what names he gave the Texans as potential hires for the coaching staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The implication that Hines is being interviewed to fulfill the Rooney Rule, as opposed to him being interviewed because he deserved to be, is an insult to Hines.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    OR … Maybe it has nothing to do with his skin color. Hines Ward would be a great catch for any NFL team.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    He didn't say Hines was interviewed to fulfill the Rooney rule. He said this is what the rule was supposed to do. Get black coaches an opportunity to be interviewed as a head coach and get the opportunity to build their name in the eyes of the league. I agree with his post

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Thanks for the token interview

- Hines Ward

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    So you're saying if it wasn't for the Rooney Rule he wouldn't have got the interview?

Why invoke the Rooney Rule at all. Is it not possible that Hines got the opportunity on his own merits and that he would have had that even without the Rooney Rule?

Or did that possibility never cross your mind?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't like when people say Tomlin only got hired because of the Rooney Rule, he got an interview then he impressed them, the Steelers had already satisfied the rule by interviewing Ron Rivera before Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    This is your big thing huh? You just lurk the board and when the Rooney Rule comes up you pop out?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Tomlin is going to keep being criticized. The media gushes all over him as "one of the best coaches in the NFL" and people still criticize. That won't change until the Steelers are competitive again.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Or is it possible that the rule was invoked because black candidates weren’t getting the opportunities in the first place? Ward has all of two years coaching experience, offensive assistant and WR coach. Are those the merits which you speak of?

We don’t know the answer to your question but we do know there was a lack of opportunities for even getting an interview before the Rooney Rule.

• Winner Winner x 5
  13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Which explains why’s he’s a WR Coach (not an OC, not an asst HC) at that college football dynamo: Florida Atlantic

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Should Ward get it I hope we never play them in a playoff game. Hate to root against the guy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I have no idea why you are so obsessed with this. Hines got the interview and it allowed him to be considered for a head coaching job. Hines will get the job based on his merits. I do not believe Hines is ready for a head coaching job at this point as his coaching experience is not there yet. I believe he will have the necessary experience at some point to be a head coach. What the Rooney rule insures is that at least the African American coaches in the NFL will get consideration and stand for an interview. That's a good thing. Hines will have to impress those that interview him with his skill set. At some point I think that will happen

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Hines was not the 1st black person to interview though. They also interviewed flores i thought.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    hines gives them window dressing in two ways. he's half black and half Korean. it's not just meant for african american people but for all minorities. 90% of white people are ancestors from other countries. do they need a distinction? i'm italian american and part german and scotch irish. should i be called or considered for a head coaching job because i'm an italian german scotch irish american? it's a stupid rule that in itself is a slap in the face to all americans no matter what. what a waste of time for simple window dressing. politics 101. make them think you are doing something for them in front of the camera's to put on a show, with no meat behind it. it's nfl political BS. show the sheeple we care. yea right. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I agree 100% Best thing I have seen posted here in several years. Whatever happen to best man or lady wins.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree. The rule itself is insulting to all sides. It insinuates that every team organization purposely does not hire minorities and a rule is needed to counter that. JMO>

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm a huge Ward fan but that being said he has done a couple of coaching internships, was a quality control coach and has a year of being the position coach for wide receivers. That is a huge jump to Head Coach. I absolutely think he could do it but in the right circumstances. The Texans are a hot mess and no way would I touch them with a ten foot pole

21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It has to start somewhere.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The Rooney rule doesn’t force teams to hire black coaches.

We’re just talking about getting an opportunity here.

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    How about companies, corporations, franchises and everyone else in America just interview and hire the best qualified candidates?

I have been passed up for promotions due to diversity hiring practices. The person who they hired had no clue how to do the job but it fulfilled a checked box. I ended up training the person who was over me in responsibilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Texans interviewed or are going to interview Flores that Miami fired, so the rule is covered regardless. Nothing to see here.

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He is also Korean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.