1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What was the biggest upset the Steelers pulled off and would beating KC this week be it?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by saturdaysarebetter, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    The only time I've encountered more than one pronunciation for 'offensive' was in Beer & Stein's 1994 study The Various Effects of Increased Alcohol Consumption During Progression of Chargers v. Steelers Broadcast.

I believe the second was /ˈbo͝olˌSH*t/, but might need to look that up.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. We denied the Payton Manning Colts their destiny. That stands as the biggest upset.

Considering the gulf in talent between us and KC and add to that we have not played a complete game at a high level in years, by far this would be biggest upset. In `05 season I knew we had a chance. I have no such gut feeling for this game. Just losing by 7 points would be a shocker. Winning would have to involve a Mahomes injury.

KC will finally end our zombie season with a shot in the head.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Just don't start a thread, "biggest upsets pulled on the Steelers" that would be a depressing long one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Best two weeks ever being a lifelong Steeler fan since the 1850's. (me and JEH were watching from our covered wagons). OK - other than those 6 minuscule SBs, but that goes without saying. But the refs handed all of those to the Steelers, right?

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    :facepalm: Agree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    there's odds and then there's games where my heart says we would win but my mind might have a bit of doubt. Just off the top of my head, I would list some big upsets as:

Bills - 2021
    Broncos - 2021
    Seahawks - 2021
    Browns - 2021
    Bears - 2021
    Ravens - 2021
    Titans - 2021
    Browns - 2021
    Ravens - 2021

We may have been favored in some of these games, but sure did seem like we were supposed to lose all of them. So, they were all pretty big wins in my book.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I should’ve said definitions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Not sure but I doubt we were favored in many of those game yet the game I know we were favored we tied.

10. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Note I didn’t list the tie as a great victory. Had MR produced, they would still be 7th seed. Just would have known earlier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Media members laugh at the Steelers when they talk about this game I hope Pittsburgh makes them feast on crow so I can enjoy laughing at them for several days.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not used be being the underdog.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The question will be if defeating GB in the SB this year measure up to past upsets?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    05 Colts to me was bigger but I guess this would be similar. This would definitely be Popcorns biggest win though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m pretty sure 43 is his biggest win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think the 1989 Steelers is one of the hugest upsets ever.

Your talking about a team that lost a combined 92-10 their 1st two weeks of the season.

Rebounded made the wildcard game and upset the Houston Oilers who were a 7-8 point favorite.

They dang near beat Denver in the divisional round and were actually leading with 2:22 left in the game.

Denver then upset Cleveland in the AFC Championship game.

But if the Steelers win this win tomorrow, I think it takes the cake as biggest playoff upset ever in their history.

17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I've been listening to radio and TV media all week. No one is giving the Steelers a chance at all and most think they beat us by 3 scores at least.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Point spread is 12.5 now. I think the last team 2 win with this kind of Point spread in the post season was the SB win of Giants over the Pats.

19. SteelersMagic85

SteelersMagic85 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2021
    I would have to say the '05 Divisional game at the Colts. Such a special game for multiple reasons. Hoping for another memorable game tomorrow night !

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Acknowledge it and excel in spite of it.

• Like Like x 1
  21. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I just can’t weight that game and that year because of Brister. Maybe a decent guy but nobody rooted for him to be gone more that me. I wanted O’Donell to take his job far earlier. Like by a whole season.

And then he broke our hearts. Wonder if he’s ever had the guts to step foot in the Steel city ever since.

• Like Like x 1
  22. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the differences here while similar are kinda swapped too.

#1 over-all defense that year I believe, but Ben was still a young, raw, and inexperienced “game managing” QB with an ancient and mediocre-ish O-line. Old man Bettis grinding a few last rumblin stumblers out there. A limited offense overall.

Add in Cower often playing gutless Marty-ball so often in safety to lose games also.

The current Steelers don’t have the talent or ability to be completely different than who they sadly are, but if they can make some slightly surprising tweaks on offense, tighten-up and play defense a bit better on the run D, pass rush like they know how to do then there is a chance to shock the NFL world.

A couple turnovers and a special teams splash play for us will also go a long way fellas…!

Moon and Stars align please!

23. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I believe the Steelers beating the Colts in the 2005 AFC Divisional round was the Steelers biggest upset win in the playoffs. Besides the Colts having the best record in the NFL with a 14-2 record, the Colts had the best quarterback with Peyton Manning, best receiving core with Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Stockley and Dallas Clark, a top 5 running back with Edgerrin James, and the best defensive edge rushing duo with Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney. The Colts had blown out the Steelers that year in the regular season 26-7. I was super nervous about that game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    I knew we had a competitive team against the Colts. This would be a much bigger upset in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Steelersfire

Steelersfire Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    I think people are mixing things up a little bit.

Which would be a bigger surprise? Beating KC probably, mainly because we all just don’t think the Steelers are very good this year.

But which would be a bigger upset? KC may be the hottest team in the league right now, but they didn’t even win the AFC when they had a chance. They are a top 3 team, but GB, Tampa, Cinci (yes, Cinci) and Ten with Henry back could easily beat them without fanfare.

The 2005 Colts were by far the best team that year, just destroyed everyone and one of the best teams that decade.

• Agree Agree x 2