1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wild Card @ KC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by FosterMorris, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019

2. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    not sure if its been said already, but would it be to our benefit to have a very windy or snowy type game? i haven't yet checked the weather but thinking that would help us a bit.

edit: just checked looks like will be just cloudy during the day and chilly.

3. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    If we could run the ball. Najee is hurt but is going to play through like Emmitt Smith in... 93 I think?

4. RatbirdHater

RatbirdHater Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2017
    I think we beat them 21-17 lol. That’s what I think but I know we are getting blown out to a tune of 41-17. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think we helped KC out last time with 3 TO's IIRC and I can assure you, they didn't need our assistance. Now, if we can flip that to our advantage, and keep that SOB Mahomes on the bench, maybe we'll stay within the spread. Could the wad chewer get the ST's in on some scoring as well? To win, points from any source or direction will be needed. Divine intervention is welcome. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    The Steelers are allowing 28 points per game since 2011 in the playoffs so that's not good. But I am hoping the defense holds up

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Haha. I agree. Turnovers are crucial.

8. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Never say never. There will be, and it's inevitable. I do hope you're right about no other QB being like him as well. There aren't any #7 jersey around here in Baldwin County, GA and although I appreciate what he's done for the team, he is, and always will be, on my chit list. Sorry, but it'll be a nice change to go into my fav watering hole and not taking crap from others when our offense takes the field for the first time. It doesn't bother me, but it still sucks. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    oh yeah forgot he's a little banged up. i think i saw an article title that stated he didn't practice today.

10. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Wasn't Jax up by 4 TD's in the first half and maybe that contributed to Ben doing so well stat wise? Hell, it was 21-0 in the first qtr and probably before we even had a 1st down. I am not real sure about the 1st down bit, but we did get our butts kicked and good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    And Edmunds deserves a lot of that credit against TE.

Maulet is a Antwon Blake type liability.

12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Don't you see Josh Allen as a similar type of QB to Ben?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I hope that Tomlin doesn't write him out of the game plan like Bell. Najee might not be able to catch. Bell deserved it but it cost us.

14. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    TJ Watt lighting up Mahomes and sending him to the bench a couple turnovers and a short field. And the Defense playing a stellar game.

• Like Like x 1
  15. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Mahomes late in the year has gotten better at picking apart the zone. His problem was he was so busy trying to make a big play he didn't never want to be patient and take what the defense gives him. Now though he will take the little dump off to the rb and understand you can still get down the field with 5 here, 3 there, and 4 here. It doesn't all have to be bombs away. He's still young and will eventually master all that. Brady wasn't a master in year 4.

Now for Brady you can play zone against him but not exclusively zone. He will eventually expose a hole in whatever zone your playing. You have to disguise your concepts and mix it up against Brady to keep him guessing. He's seen virtually everything. The key to him is pressing his guys regardless if it's zone or man to knock off timing and getting pressure up the middle unless you trust all your guys in man across the board against his personell.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Tomlin could win the super bowl and not silence his critics

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Here is a silly thought. Perhaps the Steelers should change up their coverages more instead of relying on one approach until they give up two or three touchdowns that way.

The offense is going to have to change things up, too. They have to throw the ball down the field. Kansas City is too damn good at defending the short stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    In 4 of the Chiefs 5 losses they had no less than 2 turnovers. The Chargers loss was the only game with no turnovers. They also lost to quarterbacks that could run if they needed to (LJ, Tannehill, Burrow, Allen, Herbert). Their secondary is highly susceptible to giving up big plays. The Ravens loss was the only loss where the secondary didnt get torched. The Ravens ran for 251 on them though and Lamar had over a 100. It didnt hurt to have pretty good offensive lines and a good run game to keep the Chiefs defense honest as the opponents that beat them had.

In all 5 of their losses Tyreek Hill had less than 63 yds receiving and 0 TDs, and receptions in the 3-7 catches range. his targets ranged from 4-13....which tells me if you have to take one or the other away between Kelce and Hill that maybe it should be more Hill then Kelce. Kelce had over 100 yds in two of those losses so if it starts looking like hes going to be having a big day it's not the end of the world.

The Steelers are in a bit of a conundrum tho. The best way to attack the Chiefs is going after their secondary but the play designs dont free up the receivers consistently enough and you're working with old Ben now not young Ben. He cant extend plays like the Ben of the past of course. If the Steelers are throwing the ball a lot then it also likely means they're not using up clock and its more opportunities for Ben to make ill advised throws. Thats more than enough possessions for the Chiefs. Steelers are really going to have to nitpick their way to any victory. I'm talking about 94 Chargers over the Steelers nitpick.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Steelers biggest underdog in WC round history. Call on the spirit of the 2010 Seahawks. Only underdog of 10 or more points to win. It's time for another!!!!

20. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Wasnt a WC game dont think, but the Chargers were a 11 pt underdog to the Steelers in 94.

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That was the AFC Championship

• Like Like x 1
  22. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    No way Steelers get blown out in this game. No way!

Air assault incoming. Ben and Co. getting off to a quick start in this one and Mahomes is due for a bad game.

All pressure on KC here. Pittsburgh Cinderella season continues into Tennessee.

Pittsburgh beat Tennessee and Buffalo
    KC loss to Tennessee and Buffalo.

Im expecting a surprise EpIc game here by BIG BEN he’ll be talked about every day next week.

We got this… BOOK IT !!!!

23. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    McKyer getting beat is the lasting image in my mind from that game. I dont remember any other play but that one...and for whatever reason Deshea Townsend's name keeps popping into my head everytime I see that play in my mind.

24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Or, "The day that will live in infamy" as it's known around my house!

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    That would require a miraculous and unimaginable turnaround for OL. These guys don't give Ben enough time for the WRs to run deep routes. Plus Ben can't move around back there. Not to mention one of the worst rushing teams in the league. The likelihood of this happening seems pretty slim to me.