1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Not sure what to think of this comment from Ben...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Jan 12, 2022.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Nothing to take away from it. As his comment implies... just have fun. Yes, it is a playoff game but the most important aspect is to have both calm and relaxed emotions before and during the game.

Being too rigid and tight is what often costs teams ball games..... save for specific examples like any Belichick coached team. Focus is key... so is relaxation.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    He's underselling the importance of the game to take the pressure off his young teammates. You know Ben wants to go out on his shield.

Pretty smart. No bulletin board material for the Chiefs and takes the pressure off a team with few veterans.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He either has his flight for Cancun already booked, or he is playing some underdog mind games???

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No pressure on us.

Get a big steak after the game!

• Like Like x 1
  6. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Even Belichick says "Just do your job." That's their mantra to not get lost in the moment or a big game. Just focus on your task that you can control. Belichick probably has the Desiderata in his bathroom at home.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    :this!:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hmm... I see.

I would agree with is if it was not for multiple players, even ones who were successful with him, continually state that the Patriots as a whole is run almost like the Military. Actually, even Rob Gronkowski has omitted this himself and Belichick gave him more freedom than even Tom Brady to act however he wanted to. Now, is this a possible, classic case of "performance > tolerance" here?!.... It could be.

However, even with such freedom, Rob eventually got worn down by Belichick's draconian ways. If anything, Belichick has not, does not and will not ever hide the fact. Playing for him would be tough for sure....... but the results have always outweighed the strain of his coaching style.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I agree. Was just speaking on how ignoring external distractions could improve performance. Tomlin literally said after the Ravens game his players were tight. Ben feels it is appropriate right now to approach the game non-chalantly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    There's really nada to be seen here. He's motivating the team, his way. He's encouraging them to play loose and have fun.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Ah.

:hi:

Understood!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
  13. UKSheffieldSteeler

UKSheffieldSteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    I imagine everyone will be playing off the fact that everyone is predicting a KC win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    3D5C4FE0-62C1-4FF9-BA77-0921CB7CAA42.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It's win win for Big Ben.

If the reverse psychology works. He beats KC and moves on.

If not he still has a frozen retirement cake from last week at home in the freezer.

• Like Like x 2
  16. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Clumsy attempt at motivation if that's what it was. We're going to lose and have fun doing it? WTF?

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I am not sure if this was a good or not so good thing. I get what he's trying to do with his teammates, I just don't know if the KC coaches and players will see it that way. if you were a KC coach/player and a little while ago beat the dog crap out of us, how would it sound to you if you heard that same team thinks this time is going to be a good time and fun? Now, the reaction could be that they think we're not taking the game as seriously as we should and we're coming in for fun so they won't feel compelled to play at max beep. Or, there coach or captains stand up in a group meeting and tells his team that the Steelers think they're coming in to have fun, so let's make that not happen. Maybe I am reading a little too much into his statement and should of had a couple of cold ones before I typed this. JMO>

18. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    And Andy Reid saying that the Steelers are playing like a #1 seed isn’t the same exact thing but on opposite sides of the spectrum ?

Again, I say It’s “Gamesmanship” by both Reid and Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bens been doing that this season, some tongue and cheek moments. Like back at the start of the season and he was saying everything is going to be completely new, we’re not running anything we have ever run before, we’re not going to be predictable, ect. He’s throwing the stuff people are saying back at them. Same with this game, no one is giving them a chance.

It’s also a good idea to say that stuff because the Steelers play worse when they have a big head and play better with a chip on their shoulder.

I don’t know if they win Sunday but I think it will be a lot better game than they gave the Chiefs last time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Cranny

Cranny Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Normally I would say Steelers don’t have a chance in hell, but when they are huge underdogs under Tomlin they tend to play better than expected. I’m not expecting much, but a small part of me could see a major upset lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    It's like I tried to tell some young guys, every mistake is magnified. Even the third down drop can be magnified because the other team you're playing is a really good football team too, so they capitalize on your mistake. "I've been in a lot of these games where the team that makes the fewest mistakes is going to win. You just try and tell those guys that listen, we got to go out there and you got to play free and have fun, play football but understand that it does get a little bit faster and that the intensity does pick up." -- Ben.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Of course we all want them to win. But what I really want as well is 60 mins of hard team play. The crap show of the beginning against the Browns last year can demoralize a team. We already know Mahomes and company can put points up quickly and often, but they also have had a lot of close games this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Ben never said he didn't have a chance. Always have a chance with #7

24. SteelersMagic85

SteelersMagic85 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2021
    I think we all know what Ben is doing, you think he really feels that way?! Hell no. He was just repeating back to the reporters the things that have been said. This team is going to come out fired up

25. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Playing like a 1 seed isn't that big of a compliment this year. :roflmao: