1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Flores fired…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 10, 2022.

1. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    14 offensive coaches and 5 defensive coaches have been hired as HC since 2017 as far as I can tell.

Why are you so sure that teams are looking for a defensive minded head coach?

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wasn't Flores the DC with New England? I didn't say he was entitled to another job, he's still young and showed some promise, Adam Gase got another shot :shrug:.

3. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    You specifically said that the Rooney Rule alone should get him a job which essentially is saying there's a quota in place to hire minorities. That's far from the truth...the truth is minorities hardly could even get an interview. Coaches were being recycled and that means minorities were being excluded from the hiring process. I'm certainly not going to hire Flores if I think hes a terrible coach. I dont care what color he is so that's the flaw in your statement. Just because I have to interview him, because he's black or Hispanic, doesnt mean that I have to hire him

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    You talking about Butler or Flores?

Tomlin will never hire a Belicheat descendant. He has no time for attention to details kind of coaching.

5. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I just call people out on dumb chit. You're prob defensive because I done straightened u out a couple of times.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    You dont even understand context enough to know he's clearly talking about Flores yet you have the audacity to call someone else out on paying attention to detail...the irony.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    That's a major reach to infer that there is a hiring quota from my statement. I never said that and have never thought that.

"In 2021, the NFL approved changes requiring every team to interview at least two external minority candidates for open head coaching positions and at least one external minority candidate for a coordinator job."

Explain why you don't think this gives Flores a major advantage in finding another job as HC or DC. I don't get it. You're saying that the Rooney Rule doesn't do anything?!

8. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I didnt reach on anything...go reread the first line in your orig statement. You didnt mention a quota but you did mention he would get hired based upon the rule alone. Theres an inference there. You mean either you dont proofread what you type or you dont pay attention to what you type??

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not saying that at all. But getting an interview is half the battle to being hired. That was my only point.

The rule itself is to get more minorities interviews. I’m just saying that the results of those interviews are helping them get jobs, jobs that prior to the rule, they would have missed out on because they couldn’t get an interview.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Actually you have not spoken to me. I simply made an observation based on your actions. That's all

11. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Honestly you're being rude and also dismissive of Rooney's legacy by claiming that it doesn't actually give minority coaches an advantage in seeking jobs. Again... then why does it exist?

I said in another comment in this thread that teams have hired 15 offensive coaches vs. only 4 defensive coaches since 2017. Teams are almost 4x as likely to hire an offensive coach right now which Flores is not.

Because Flores is a minority he will get some interviews for a HC job where he can explain his philosophy and how he would approach the offensive side of the football particularly in putting a young QB in the best position to develop into a franchise player (which is what most teams looking for a new HC need).

I'm not taking your condescension and flippant attitude personally but you are being disrespectful to Dan Rooney's legacy in my opinion. The Rooney Rule does work and does give opportunity to less experienced minority coaches who might otherwise be passed over in later stages of the hiring process. You could always admit you are wrong and say you're sorry. You've created something nefarious in your head that isn't there.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Well then your accusation of him is even more perplexing but in any event, leave that kind of stuff out. Thank you.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Then why hasn't Bienemy or Leftwich been hired?

14. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    The number of hirings of minorities is not exponentially going up...its just an interview...nothing else...the number of minority head coaches in the league is about the same number it was 10 years ago. Stop with the cap. It's still not splitting hairs .

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

I seriously doubt the team will bring someone. Not saying they should not... for change is sometimes never a bad thing but the likelihood of Flores coming to Pittsburgh to be a DC is slim to none. Besides, other openings around the league are too enticing.

Among them?! Minnesota and Jacksonville are good options.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats where you are going astray. It just levels the playing field. Once they have their foot in the door, the rest is up to them, just like any other candidate.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You stop with the crap, it is splitting hares and stop being rude to everyone. You kidding me. Who the hell do you think you are.

18. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    ...but I'm not wrong so there's that. Name off the minority coaches 10 years ago and then name them off today....I'll wait. Based upon that alone it's just proof like someone said earlier that it's a token interview.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  19. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    I get wanting to replace Butler right now but I'm not sure it will help. He's retiring anyway so we have a hole to fill. Tomlin is not the answer. Frankly I think the entire coaching staff needs to go. But IMO Butler is probably the least deserving of all. His defensive unit would be among the best in the NFL if we had a capable NT and ILB. That's a personnel issue that the HC and GM should be answering for.

The O-line, Bush and the depth on the D-line destroyed our season. If we had depth behind Bush and Alualu no one would be calling for Butler's head. The issues on this team are kind of big picture problems that the Head coach and GM are responsible for. Personnel problems are not the coordinator issues. If the issues were specific to one unit then absolutely make a change to that coach responsible for that unit. When the same issues are on both sides of the ball and it's the same thing year in and year out then the guy at top is the problem.

Poor discipline , zero accountability , poor depth due to player assessment or preparation , lack of focus, maturity , and no attention to details are really the issues. The O-line debacle , Bush, and the D-line depth derailed this season. This was not a surprise to anyone. We've been talking about D-line depth for several years now. Everyone was well aware of Bush's injury a no one but the coaches knew whether or not Bush was back to full strength. His issues had to show in practice. The HC had to know there was an issue, yet we did nothing to provide depth behind Bush. We did nothing to provide depth be hind Alualu or Heyward. - Thank god Heyward stayed healthy. We did nothing to build a competitive O-line. Imagine if this O-line was just average ! Running Green out there to start at center with no real alternative was moronic at best.

I've got concerns about player development and evaluation. That really has never been an issue on the steelers till now. It's not often you see players leave and improve elsewhere but we saw that for the first time. Zero development from Claypool, Washington, Dotson, the D-line , Bush, Highsmith, and even our rookie punter have to make you ask what the heck is going on. We knew going into the season that we had to rebuild the O-line. What we saw was their answer to that. We knew there were issues with Bush and the D-line and we ignored it and hoped for the best.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Leftwich I don't know. I would love him as a HC. He is tough as nails and has high character on top of having had the 3rd highest scoring offense with Jameis Winston at QB.

I expect Leftwich will be a HC next season.

As for Bienemy I don't like him as a HC. That is Reid's offense and Reid mostly calls the plays. Also any OC would look good with Mahomes at QB (which is why Leftwich having the 1st and 2nd best offenses with Brady is less impressive to me than being 3rd with Winston).

More importantly Bienemy isn't bothered by people's view of him as a proxy for Reid and that doesn't seem like a good quality in a leader to me. For Bienemy going to a team where he can design the offense and call the plays should be his next step.

21. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I said stop with the cap not crap....haha. its slang bro...why do you guys thing everything is personal

22. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Because they are both looked at as props to Arians and Reed. I can see Leftwich being a good head coach with a star QB. Bienemy? No chance. Not leader of the pack material.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I have no idea what that means, thought it was a typo.

Just dial it down.

24. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    It a joke dumbass. lol.

You walked right into that one.

25. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Flores was the only firing that surprised me. I don't get why they let him go