1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Roethlisberger says Kendrick Green should be moved to guard

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Master Of Puppets, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
  2. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    lets see if tomlin gives the same reply he did about claypool suggesting music at practice ..:lolol:
    something like this...
    “Ben plays quarterback and I’ll let him do that,” “I’ll formulate the roster , and that division of labor is probably appropriate.”

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I was thinking the same thing myself. Move Green to one of the guard positions. He would have to be better than Trai Turnstile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Whatever happens tomorrow I hope Green's reply when asked about it after the season is in all honesty Ben should have retired 4 years ago.

• Like Like x 5
  5. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    LOL. It would show he's cantankerous, and that would help. But I trust an 18-year veteran QB's opinion on the matter. Green may someday be a good center, but it wouldn't hurt to bring in a vet next year and let Green play guard for a season or two.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    If Ben was like Manning, Brees, or Rodgers where he is a student of the game and how it is played at every position I'd defer to his experience. If he is telling me his preferences for center based on his experience as the QB I'd say well he knows what he likes best. This statement to me is like his statement on Washington a few years ago, he needed to stay on his feet and run under the throw. I said it then and I shall it now when Ben starts running routes and catching balls then he can tell receivers how they should play otherwise pull a Darth Hoodie and say nothing with style.

Green's grades have been poor and it's obvious that there were coaching issues and it may be that he does get switched to guard and is the next in a long line of standout rg's for Pittsburgh or he turns it around and becomes a solid center not a Matt Birk but solid. Ben's statement to me is a ring and run. He knows the odds on Sunday and that he is done so instead of being a captain and shouldering the blame he is giving life to a story and throwing Green under the bus.

7. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Not that I want to spend 20 or 30 minutes going over posts from a year ago but it would be hilarious to see the posts trashing Hassenuer in his backup role to Pouncey last year and now he somehow is the key to not finishing last in rushing with a QB who the majority of the time wants single back looks from shotgun.

8. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is Ben "holding the keys"?

But really who would know better than the guy that's actually been behind the Center and not standing on the sidelines.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I don't see him throwing him.under the bus. Ben said the rookie T was the future of thst position and said Green would prosper at G because of his fire and passion. He did not bash the kid. Just felt he is better suited at G.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I feel that moving Green to guard was always the fall back plan but they would see if he could handle the center roll this season.

You can say they should have drafted Humphreys but they still would need a guard anyway but now they have a TE in place for the first time since Heath. Centers aren’t hard to come by but TE’s are.

They’ll draft a center this year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If Ben ever took snaps under center, I’d make a joke about him just liking the feel of Hassenaur’s butt better than Green’s.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hmmmm…can’t imagine why Ben doesn’t want him to stay at center. :hmm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Rookie plays. Rookie struggles sometimes. Rookies are going to struggle.

It's likely that Green improves from year one to year two if he puts in the work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    When reading his comments in black and white, it's difficult to get a read on whether he was being snarky about it. I understand the "stay in your lane" nature of your post, and I don't dismiss it offhand. However, I refuse to criticize a remark made by a guy that has played in tandem with the center position for the better part of his life. Let's be honest. Nothing Green did this year should infuse anyone with confidence that he will, at the very least handle the job in a competent manner next year. Coaching could definitely help, no question. It seems as if Adrian Klemm didn't do anyone any good during his short tenure here. That said, I'd rather they drafted a true center or got a seasoned vet in free agency next year. My gut tells me that Green is simply more suited (and, of course, experienced) to play guard.

15. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I don't see the big deal in this... the Steelers tried starting a rookie at center who had what, a few games at the position in college? Everyone knows he's been terrible all year. Instead of writing the guy off as a complete bust, like many are, Ben's just saying he'll make a good guard. Don't write the kid off yet, because his future is likely at guard.

Not everyone's cut out for center, I've been saying the same thing all season. Green has the tenacity and enough natural ability to probably make a pretty good guard in the NFL. His play at guard in college is what got him drafted. Faneca was a HOF guard, but couldn't play center. So what?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    We don't know the ultimate strategy. Sure they could have had a C in rounds 1 or 2..a possible perennial all pro..they went a different direction with 2 guys who can be productive for years to come. Asking a rookie to take a starting position he has never played is asking a lot for anyone.. There is no doubt he needs work in the weight room, but the kid does have heart and in the open field has displayed talented athletic ability. Can he be great..maybe. a very decent NFL guard, I would say with his work ethic we might be saying this was indeed a really good draft in 2 years.

• Like Like x 3
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will only repeat this once more. N. Harris has run most His career in college the exact same way. Shotgun, and pistol. What will You say when He says His preference is 2 run from those formations????
    I honestly thought that's why they picked Him. Because His was good at it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I was told Dotson prefers RG so Leglue LG - Dotson RG makes sense. Green competes for a spot with them. Probably will be what happens training camp next year but who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I don't think a first round worthy center will be there when the steelers draft though. Maybe later in the draft?

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Given the fact that Kendrick Green struggles at the basics.. is it really safe to move him from Center to Guard? I also have heavily lobbied for this... only to realize later what a terrible idea this may be. If he is bad at Center... he is likely to be bad at Guard. His strength (he did heft 700lbs guys), athleticism and motor are not to be questioned. His Overall Processing, Football IQ and overall Technique though leave much to be desired for certain.

Linderbaum, for me, is still my most wanted pick for the team. Should he come into the Combine being 315 as opposed to 295... all the better.

21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    By Keeping Green at center and refusing to play Hassenauer at center, through out the season The poor Oline play falls on Tomlin and the the ex oline coach :hmm::shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I still say it's a limiting formation to establish a running game in especially with a young inexperienced oline. Alabama is a top program with 5 star recruits at lots of positions so they can run a spread offense or RPO and if teams put 9 or even 10 men in the box, Alabama can make them pay for it.

My problem with Ben running it is that all the wrinkles that go with it that makes opposing teams play honest, he can't do. So I'm not a fan of using it as the primary personnel group. From a rb perspective it's difficult to produce a burst when you are standing still.

I also think that having the linemen squat versus putting their hands in the dirt is a tell. Don't like it at all

23. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Or Ben had green shoved into his lap most of the season. Which Ben knows isn’t normal. I am guessing Ben has a great idea of what a decent center looks like.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    He never said green doesn’t deserve to be on the roster

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    “That’s Tre’s blocks, not minds,” K Green

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3