1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Watt

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Shoulda woulda coulda...

A lot of ifs and buts........Watt was so close the last 2 years of winning DPOY, and " should " win it this year! Could you imagine if he DID win it the last 2 years...

He's probably being referred to as the greatest defensive player EVER! Mind blowing when you think about it....

This close ( fingers an inch apart ) instead of being mentioned as very good / great player...To being the G O A T

• Like Like x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Elite Caliber Rush Linebacker T.J. Watt has become. However, to place him among the likes of Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas and Kevin Greene is a tough sell for me. For that matter, I never saw him play and, his off field troubles have been tragic but L.T. is the greatest Defensive Player to do it. He has entered the discussion as among the all time greats however; a feat not taken so lightly.

That said, let us hold off a bit on placing him in such a list.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I think the only chance we make Playoffs is to somehow beat the Ravens while lending Watt to the Jaguars:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If he breaks the sack record next weekend they surely can’t deny him again.

If Myles Garrett had TJ’s numbers it wouldn’t even be a conversation. TJ seems to be oddly underrated despite continually playing at an elite level

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Watt has missed 2 and a half games, that's impressive leading the league with 21.5 sacks, Browns fans were saying Garrett is better :lolol:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You never saw Taylor play? Damn. You're a youngster.

I did see him play and Watt isn't on that level, but I think you can start putting him in conversations with Thomas and Greene. He is a more complete player than Greene.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    two seasons doesn’t make you the goat

8. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Agree that Watt isn't on LT, Bruce Smith level but, again if he would have won DPOY 3 years in a row...As far as hardware and accolades...He would have been Numero Uno

• Like Like x 1
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    he is a beast, some said he did not deserve his big contract, or that it was 'too much money' - balderdash!

He is a beast and will hands down win DPOY this year.

Highsmith is getting better too. the glass can be half full still with this D, some offseason work to be done for sure at ILB and the secondary, but the bulk of work needs to be on Offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I hope he gets the 2 sacks next week. He is the new face of the Pittsburgh Steelers. And if he gets rooked out of the DPOY award there is no justice. Plus he has missed 2.5 games. The guy is a beast. Why compare? He is our Beast!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Roid Boy Garrett is like he always is ..Standing on the sidelines half the game gasping for breath,and getting abused in the run game!

Got handled by a 4th round Rookie LT ( with no help from what I could see )

He's just like his Tinkerbell QB...talk, talk,talk

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Garrett generated some pressure. He was part of why Roethlisberger didn't have time to throw down the field yesterday. That said, he wasn't even close to Watt's level. He hasn't been all season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Belichick "I would put Watt there. He's the same kind of player."

Belichick is talking about JJ Watt not TJ but the point is that LT isn't a god that you can't compare mortals to. Belichick coached LT for years and seems to be his preferred player all-time. I can't think of anyone but Parcells as qualified to speak on LT.

TJ Watt has 20.5 sacks more than LT did through 5 seasons. Why isn't TJ Watt in the conversation? LT's sacks had some kind of deep mystical value which doubled their importance?

I'd like to send TJ Watt back in time so he could play through the 80s against 270 pound tackles and teams that try to block him with a HB. See how he does.

In LT's career high 4 sack game vs PHI in 86 he was blocked by RB on two of those sacks- one he hurdled and the other successfully cut him but the play broke down and LT got a coverage sack. I'd love to see a breakdown on LT's sacks. I'd bet that fully 40% came against TE or HB.

Teams did not know how to block LT and admit as much. They too often used TE or HB. In comparison, James Harrison was overwhelmingly blocked by the LT throughout his career.

The way teams blocked LT simply isn't done against top edges in the modern NFL. It's a big reason why I think Reggie White is the best defensive player ever because he got 56 more sacks than LT and he did it against linemen he usually manhandled.

I can't understate how much I hate these moments where an NFL orthodoxy is enforced as if LT's results couldn't be duplicated by Demarcus Ware, Von Miller, Chandler Jones, or James Harrison and playing them at ROLB in the initial implementation of the 3-4 when blockers were much smaller and teams didn't know how to block the edge.

I'm not saying TJ Watt is better than LT but he is definitely in the discussion as being on the same level as LT and so should several other OLB.

• Like Like x 2
  14. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Even with missing a few games, someone will argue that Strahan did it during a 16 game season. Technology, TJ tied Strahan last night. TJ worked for and earning every sack. He didn’t have Brett Favre calling a play to gift him the record like Strahan did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I don’t see much of Garrett unless he plays the Steelers. Four hours of my life wasted watching the Browns is something I cannot justify. From the little that I do see of Garrett, Watt seems to be a better all around player and is more disruptive

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    he is a shoe in, trust me

17. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    TJ is a game changer. If anything he is underpaid.

18. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Watt's going for the sack record while missing two games, leaving injured early in at least one or two other games, and recovering from covid and having to miss practices. remarkable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

DPOY nope

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    A bit off topic but I was pleasantly surprised by this jersey from my girlfriend for Xmas. It's the only jersey I've wanted since Polomalu. This guy single handedly changes games and is extremely important to our team, now more than ever. I hope he wins it this year and I think he will for sure if he gets the sacks he needs.

IMG_20220106_204633.jpg IMG_20220106_204648.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Problem is he played when you had a lot more dirty stuff allowed. I remember him clubbing some of those dudes upside the head then swimming or running them over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yup! He doesn't drop into coverage and defend passes as a DE very much! I think they had him in November as only dropped 7 times! I don't have the advanced stats on PFF so I can't check.

Hell last year TJ dropped at least 10% of his snaps!

Garrett can't even crack the tackles for loss top 200 leaderboard!

Tell me what he does better than a TJ. I think the best way to neutralize him is to run right at him. Do that with TJ and he's making you lose yards!

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Read comments from other teams forums and so much hate for TJ lol.

“he’s a prick”
    “Overrated”
    “Got stiff armed vs browns guy so overrated”
    “He’s just a sack guy nothing else”

And so forth.

24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Not sure TJ cycles like Harrison and Garret(my opinion) but LT looked smaller and natural yet strong AF.

FC36E42D-FA8A-4D8C-9861-1CB485E90F54.jpeg

25. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014