1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you are a true Steelers fan you should want them to lose out

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    The Browns are already eliminated from the playoffs and the Steelers have a 1% chance to make it, assuming we win out. They would require the Colts to lose to the pathetically bad Jacksonville Jaguars, who, if they lose will get the #1 pick next year. Obviously Jacksonville will be trying to lose the game and the Colts 4th stringers would probably blow them out even if the Jags were trying to win.

Even if we somehow lucked into the playoffs we'd get blown out in the wildcard round with our 10 ppg offense and porous defense.

If we lose out we get a higher draft pick for next year, and more importantly, Tomlin can't cling to his liferaft of "never had a losing season" any more. Which means that post-Ben it will be easier to get a new coach, which means the rebuild might only take 3-5 years as opposed to 8-10 with Tomlin at the helm.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If you are a Benny Lava you are a troll and Band Wagon Fan.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :rolleyes: The nonsense has already started at 8:00 am

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tarasovic

Tarasovic Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Speaking just for me, I can never root for my team to lose.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Ok, so for those of you actually using your brains. You would prefer 1 or 2 meaningless wins and drafting 5-7 spots later in each round next year? And giving Tomlin another year to use the "never had a losing season" justification?

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    She’s still in home room at school.

• Like Like x 1
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Way too early to be that high!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This looks like something that you'd expect from today's gov't education. Anyone who wants to lose, or their team to lose, needs to turn in their Steelers fan card and join the Stains or Jags fans where losing is part of the culture. What does this say about someone who prefers failure over victory? I'd say that make them a loser. Besides, can you explain what impact wanting to lose the final two games will actually have on the final two games? JMO>

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I could care less about draft position. Every game should be played to win.

Teams that draft well in the later rounds are teams that build solid rosters. Some of you guys put way to much stock in the first round.

If any of you want to root for your team to lose, in order to get a higher draft pick, then by all means get yourself some Jaguars gear and go support that team. This is Pittsburgh. We don't do that here.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Yeah, in 2016 if the Steelers had lost in an earlier playoff round the Steelers could have drafted Takkarist McKinley or Taco Charlton instead of TJ Watt in the 2017 draft.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Especially when they are Ben's last games. Tomlin will finish his contract and we all know it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I am not rooting for a loss regardless of draft pick. No guarantee a high draft pick will pan out. I bet Detroit Lion fans gave up on that sucking for a season to get a better draft pick.

I wish an NFC team had a worse record then the Bengals when Burrow was available and I really wish Brady would have spent his prime in the NFC. Would have been better for the Steelers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I don't usually agree with Benny Lava but I do see his point. Losing out would bring us higher picks. Although there's no guarantee those higher picks would pan out, it only stands to reason that our chances of striking gold are better with the higher picks.

Now here's the flaw in your logic, Benny. We were often in the same situation in the 80s. Already eliminated with wins only hurting our draft position. Id turn the tv on hoping for a loss (and the better draft position that comes with the loss) only to find myself cheering the Steelers on to victory. I'd really try to root for a Steeler loss but found it's literally impossible to do. Cheering for Steeler victories is in our DNA. Resistance it's futile.

• Like Like x 2
  14. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He may have a point but it’s not up to him to decide what makes a true fan

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    If you are thinking long term then yes, obviously we were better off losing out. IMO after losing 41-10 to the bengals was the time to start thinking long term. At that point start giving the younger players more reps and simplifying schemes and plays for the sole purpose of teaching technique and sound football to a group of players that desperately need it.

After tying the lions is was 100% clear that we are not a playoff team and anyone thinking otherwise is delusional. There was plenty of evidence leading up to that lions game that this team was on the verge of a total collapse. It's not as if we have a roster of up and coming young players just waiting to break out. Early on it was clear this was a team with out a soul, no leadership, no personality, and minus Watt excelled at nothing.

I guess the only real problem was how to handle Ben. Long term it probably made more sense to start Mason the last 3-4 games but I think Ben earned the right to go out on his own terms. One could also argue that other players development would benefit from having a veteran QB. Ben gave us a lifetime of good memories so I'm all for letting him end it how he wants to. Especially considering there are only 3 or 4 players on this team that deserve to even play on the same field as Ben.

In regards to "true fans"... I think true fans don't tell other fans how to be true fans. We seem to have two extremist groups here. :) .. the fans that think everything is great no matter if we win or lose or how it's done....damn those who criticize anything! Then we have the other fans that want the before mentioned fans dead, they wanted Ben cut 5 years ago, they want the team sold, and everyone involved in the steelers replaced. Maybe the true fans fall inbtween those two groups?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I do also get doing everything you can to win the game that is right in front of you no matter if you are 1-12 or 8-8. It just seems like Tomlin has it backwards.... the first half of the season we play as if we want to develop the team and each player; winning each game seems like it's 2nd to making the plan work..... by week 12 we are playing to desperately win every game but have no options to deal with the issues other than play desperate. Why not start the season by sitting the guys not ready to start? Find players that can play if the guys you have can't? That actually can be addressed in preseason... how is it that the coaching staff did not recognize our O-line and ILB's were epically bad? How could they not see we had no one behind Alulua at NT? This is not their first rodeo...they had to see it before week 1. I have a hard time believing we did not have the opportunity to improve the depth on this team before it was a damn house fire.

At this point I agree there's really not much to achieve by winning. Long term it only screwed us on draft day and I think everyone can agree we desperately need more talent on this team. Teams are often willing to trade 1st rnd picks to move up a few spots.... so why is it so crazy to not care about winning at the end....long term it could be the difference between winning a SB or missing the playoffs year after year. We need a good NT, Good ILB, good OT, Center, SS, WR, etc. Most people are only thinking about round 1....but having an early and 2 and 3 pick can go a long way to plugging holes with starters vs backups...or great players vs average.

I think if you are really being honest about Tomlin and the steelers over the past 10 years , you can agree we just are not button up'ed . It seems like it takes us 8 games to get were the SB contenders are at week 1 or 2. That falls on the coaching that takes place in the off season. something is not happening or working. If Tomlin is not going to go, then we need an entirely new staff of coordinators that know what they are doing. We need coaches that can coach and can lead.

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    A2413AD1-071A-45A8-9E25-70A0F81EE070.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Drafting has been a huge part of the problem here, with a lot of it coming from the higher picks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    I agree ! Suck for Pickett, get MT fired, scrap the team, start a new culture !

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    No that title belongs solely to SteelerGlenn.:hehehe:

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Benny, if you were a true fan you would never want them to loose. You are not a true fan. You have proven this fact.

You are not a Ravens fan. You are not per se a Troll, IMHO.

Yiu are a young lady, with very limited football knowledge, who needs attention and has found a source here.

Good for you I guess. Maybe we need a minor league message board for beginners.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I would never root for them to lose. But I also wouldn't mourn if they lost out... in light of their making the playoffs ultra slim at this point. Silver linings and all that.

Still, I'd rather they won out and at least had a chance. I'm not saying they belong in the playoffs. I'm not saying they'd even win one playoff game. But stranger things have happened. I remember a horrible Cardinals team backing into the playoffs. Didn't belong there. And not only make it to the SB, but barring 2 of the greatest plays in SB history, damn near beating us.

It's the longest of long shots. But a man can hope and dream. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I read Playboy when I was single. ;)

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I just looked at the pictures.

• Informative Informative x 1