1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Time for a fresh start (Tomlin, Colbert, Ben, coaches)?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Dec 28, 2021.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    It's the safest job in the NFL. If anything that's the reason why Tomlin doesn't strive too hard because his job is secure. Making Tomlin a GM would be a huge mistake imo. Most of our drafts would then be Maryland players

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Maybe see if the new mayor of Pittsburgh could help lol.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you really this desperate for attention?

• Like Like x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Have you had any wings lately

5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I have not Buddy but if you're in town....Hit the Hilltop Tavern in Farrell and get their Margie Dogs... Amazing!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And they won't change, I have been watching them for over 50 years. They feel their business plan works.
    And as you stated 2nd most winningest franchise in NFL since 2000. We as fans are fed up though
    with the lack of spark needed to compete for championships.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Looks like my kind of place, and I love dogs.

Food looks good minus today’s special of baked beans and wieners. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  8. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    That was exactly my point earlier in this thread where some jumped on me.

And Zeise, FWIW, has the same conclusion based on today's mailbag column in the P-G.

The Rooneys are going to do it their way. They play the long game and are true believers in how they do what they do. Now you can call it arrogance, stupidity, hubris or proven, successful, and winning. Take your pick. (IMO, it's all of those things, meaning it has been proven and successful, but that doesn't mean it has to be stuck in cement either. It is hubris to think your way will work forever. The dinosaurs, for example, were highly successful for a long, long time. Until.)

I will say, though, it's a slippery slope from their formula to becoming the Atlanta Falcons or Chicago Bears. Be careful what you wish for.

9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    this is a game about winning and championships - competing at the highest level. We USED to do that, no longer. and he does not have the will to make the changes necessary to get us back on track. You may now him or are related to him - I am sorry if that is the case and it's nothing personal as I don't know him / THEM from ADAM.

Just Win Baby.......and we don't. we are no longer feared by anyone, have not been for many years and have no identity, do not dominate in any way. Tomlin stinks and Rooney keeps him in place.

that is all.

10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    w/o Ben, we will be there very quickly, IMAGINE this SUCK team with Mason QB'ing all year, this year. 4 wins, maybe 5?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    mikey, how old are you? Do you understand that it's not easy to win championship? Are you aware of a concept called delayed gratification?

The franchise is tied with the Patriots for the most SB titles. It's tied for second in most SB appearances.

The Steelers once went 14 years, 1980-1993, with only two playoff wins. They had another 6 year period, 1998-2003 when they won only two playoff games and missed the playoffs in 4 of those years with 3 of those being losing seasons. You can't stay at the top every year.

I'm just telling you how the Rooneys think. I'm not even saying I agree with their thinking 100%, but what I am saying is that they're arguably the most successful franchise in the Super Bowl era. Given that track record, along with history that shows that there are dry spells, but that the franchise has come out of those dry spells, do you really think the Rooney's are going to change? Finally, I'm not related or friends or anything with the Rooneys. I'm a fan. As a fan, however, I'm not so dumb, arrogant, or immature to think I know better than the Rooneys on how to run a NFL franchise that has had as much success as any in the SB era.

edit: Add to that the before Noll, the Steelers were like every other franchise and switched head coaches every few years, with the exception of Buddy Parke, who lasted 8 years. During those 40 years pre-Noll, they won zero playoff games. They were the current NY Jets/Detroit Lions of the NFL. Add that to the current history and put yourself in ArtII's shoes.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I guess it depends on how each individual defines "success". I am guessing there is a growing number of people you are probably wondering about that have a different outlook of how the script is working out right now. JMO>

13. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    without ben they would have 10 million more in cap space next year to spend. 4 wins , 5 wins , 7 wins, 8 wins ..

[​IMG]

14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I am old (LOL). in my 50's. Followed this storied team since in diapers, in the late 60's. I know how putrid the organization was pre Joe Greene and Noll and Franco. the 80's were a tough time. Ben has kept this team in it for years. Now he is leaving. We WAY underachieved with him and Tomlin for years. Now - Ben might be part of the problem - as he was also part of the solution. The deplorable Tomlin losses to some of the worst opponents in the league EACH AND EVERY YEAR is pathetic. Don't care for him. Rooney loves him. THIS is the problem. Tomlin's time is up - but Rooney does not think so. I think Cowher's time was 3-4 years too long as well, for what that is worth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I hope this was a joke but in case it isn't, your opinion of MT must really suck if you think he unable to handle what people say about him as what goes on with every single coach that ever existed. What did he do that made you think so little of him? I'd wager that if you asked him that question, he'd laugh you right out of the room. Plus, to think he would be able to hold two major positions is so ludicrous, I'll let that one just fade away into oblivion, hopefully. JMO>

16. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    gerry dulac said in his PPG chat that keith butler might be retiring after this year. i would love to get Wisconsin DC jim leonhard , but the packers offered him a DC job and he turned them down. he likes coaching at wisconsin.

17. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I’ve seen it all just like you (the excellent, good, average and bad) and agree with your assessment. And the cycle continues!