1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: Who is most to blame for the Steelers' sad state?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Owners - The Rooneys

27.6%
  2. GM - Kevin Colbert

15.5%
  3. Head Coach - Mike Tomlin

44.8%
  4. QB - Big Ben

5.2%
  5. OC - Matt Canada

6.9%
  6. DC - Keith Butler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I can't imagine what the threads are going to look like if we lose our next game(s). Can the threads still remain the same but all the posts erased so everyone can start all over again? JMO>

• Like Like x 3
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I blame the OP for being a troll :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I selected KC based on that philosophy. The lack of talent, the lack of depth. It’s alarming.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    But I can't see the Rooney's interfering if Tomlin enforces punitive measures for idiotic behavior, either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This is what I was thinking

6. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I was conflicted between MT and KC as well until I look back at teams like the Cheats, Stains, and Jags who have torn us to shreds and no one can tell me they had more talent on their team than we did. I just feel that there is/was enough talent to have been more successful than we were. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think it goes to Tomlin. Hiring these coordinators that are just terrible. Canada is not a fit with Ben and these players. And Butler should of been gone two seasons ago. But blind loyalty will get you in this situation.
    I like Tomlin and think he is a good coach if he has the experience coordinators. I guess that doesn’t make him a good coach but he has his hand on the defense that is not or has not worked. Yes, we get the sacks but if he had a coordinator that can free him up I think our team would be better.

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I chose Tomlin for the simple reason that he is the HEAD FOOTBALL COACH of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He is ultimately responsible for getting both coaches and players to perform. Some want to blame Colbert for personnel decisions and I’m not absolving him by any means, but do you really think that Colbert drafted any player or signed any free agent without Tomlin’s input and buy-in? So it comes with the territory. If you’re the head coach you get the credit when the team does well, and you take the blame when the team does poorly. Tomlin’s teams have been very undisciplined and the model of inconsistency, underperformance and unpreparedness over the last decade. It’s time for a new message. It’s time for a new messenger.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    So we would be in the super bowl if we had 4 Mike Tomlin’s?

10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    of course not. You need a variety of coaching experiences to move the team. I think the coordinators need to be someone that was a former head coach, had success in an offensive system that score points and sets receivers to get open. Defensive coordinator should be the same as far as experience but innovative to bring back some unconventional blitz packages. Bring back a little of “Bliizburgh”
    Tomlin has only had his head coaching experience with us. He needs some people around him that can get him to accept different aspects of the game that can enhance this team.

11. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I blame the guy that decides how much assistants and coordinators can get paid. The Steelers are notoriously stingy and it shows in the personnel.

Why would a highly qualified/talented coordinators or assistants take less money? Unless you have a personal connection to the team it doesn't make sense.

12. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Well, if Ben had retired last year when he should have, we'd already be on the way to finding our new QB. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Tomlin has a boss that has allowed Tomlin to continue to come to work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So, you can't imagine this team underperforming with a coach like Matt Nagy, or Joe Judge :shrug:?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SteelerNole

Nov 24, 2019
    A new QB in a dysfunctional system. That’ll work.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. SteelerNole

Nov 24, 2019
    The Rooney can change out everyone on the list. It’s on them.

17. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    But will he change himself? He is the ultimate enabler of what has been going on for so long. This guy owns the team, and you'd think he'd think about what the fans want since that is what entertainment is, no? Maybe the fans don't know what to think or can't think the way the owner thinks, so they ignore them. I have no clue what or how rich and influential owners think so I will retreat to TFS message board and read more thinking that is contrary to ARII. Happy New Year. JMO>

• Like Like x 2
  18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I blame society.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why doesn't MT offer up some of his salary to acquire top assistants? He is paid a large amount of money.

20. Coolhandluke23

Coolhandluke23 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2021
    I blame colbert. He makes the final decision on draft picks.we should of been drafting off line players the last 5 years! We have the worst o line in football hands down!

• Like Like x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Art ll has the money if he wants to pay the assistants more.

22. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Yeah, the payroll for staff is on the Rooneys. They're pretty cheap in general compared to the rest of the league. They have a number in their head in terms of what every position on the staff, including HC, is worth and they'll stick to it. Wasn't one of the reasons Cowher stepped aside was because he didn't think they were paying him what he was worth?

• Like Like x 1
  23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    only because you didn't include a choice to place the blame where it really goes. On you.

24. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    ArtII has more then enough money to pay assistants and coordinators properly.

It's a reoccurring issue with ownership, they are stuck in their ways and it's become detrimental to the team.

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This made me think of this gem from Steelers history.

“Hi-diddle-diddle, it’s Rogel up the middle.”
    Nothing exemplifies the “Same Old Steelers” more than Walt Kiesling’s stubborn mindset and belief the game was a test of strength and will. As the rest of the league was adapting with innovative play from the Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Colts and New York Giants, Kiesling was as predictable as the Pittsburgh streetcar schedule.

Every single game began with the exact same play. The entire league knew it. Running Back Fran Rogel was coming up the middle. It was Bob Drum of the Pittsburgh Press who came up with the catchy jingle “Hi-diddle-diddle, it’s Rogel up the middle” and he would sing it in the press box before every game.

As opposed to the early years of the Steelers, Rooney had stopped interfering with the coaches’ play calling, but even he grew frustrated. He approached Kiesling and said, “Look Kies, I want you to try a pass on the first play of the game.” Kiesling resisted by saying “No, you don’t throw the ball on first down.” The battle of wills played out and Rooney stood firm and insisted until Kiesling relented.

He was certain about the opening play being a pass that he walked into the press box and told everyone to expect a pass. Drum said he’d believe it when he saw it. Rooney chomped on his cigar and smiled as he replied, “You just watch, I guarantee it.”

On that first play, Rooney initially looked to be right. QB Jim Finks faked the handoff to Rogel and hit a streaking Goose McClaren for an 80-yard TD. But the play was called back as the refs called a penalty. Kiesling allegedly told one of his players to intentionally jump offsides – he didn’t want to be proven wrong. Whether that is true or not is something we will probably never will know for certain. What is certain is on the next play, Rogel ploughed up the middle for a one-yard gain.

And Drum once again recited, “Hi-diddle-diddle, it’s Rogel up the middle.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1