1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting take on Klemm by Dejan Kovacevic

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Dec 28, 2021.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    But you do understand when a position coach basically doesn't know what he should be doing, that really is not a good look for the HC. Although it is consistent with some comparisons of Tomlin being like a CEO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Nope organization's fault. Starts at the top. Ben is a proven winner, he is your franchise QB and you pay him a crazy amount of money to be that. He is at this point and time what he is. Hiring Canada and Klemm who have different style and philosophy than Ben is wasting time. If all your players are drafted or signed to play in a 3-4 zone blitz scheme do you hire a DC that has 40 years experience coaching 4-3 defenses and has little experience with 3-4 concepts or someone who knows the ins and outs?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    While I am sure that is true, it also smells of a convenient excuse. Keep in mind that was the season we saw several coaches leave, some for lateral moves and to the college level no less.

Does make you think there is something going on behind the scenes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It would depend on division of labor. Under Munch he designed their run game, that includes getting non-linemen into blocking that fits with how your line is blocking. So if the mandate is to run the ball effectively and Klemm after looking at film says if we go unbalanced line or double TE's on the right side I can teach Dotson to pull and have Harris follow him. He can teach Chuks that the blitzing end is the guy he needs to worry about and not dbl teaming with Turner who's trying to dbl team with Green.

• Like Like x 2
  5. chucknoll

chucknoll Member

Dec 28, 2021
    Hello,

Adrian Klemm was a recruiting coordinator with the title of offensive line coach at his 3 college stops. I followed him at UCLA and, while he recruited excellently, his lines were not among the best in the conference. Main point, the man is a 3 time super bowl winner, and a superior college recruiter but is actually not an offensive line coach.

He was let go by UCLA in 2017 under accusations of mishandling injuries. No college hired him subsequently. He never coached pro football in any capacity.

Until the Steelers hired him. We know the story; Munchak leaves, they hire his assistant, Sarrett, who is gone within 2 years (does that happen in Steelerland?). Then they make the same mistake again and simply promote his assistant. Who is gone in less than a year.

1) Klemm's failure as a pro offensive line coach was predicable.
    2( The Steelers bungled this situation by using a inherently flawed method. Means, they first took the lazy way out by hiring Munchak's assistant. Then when that method failed, they repeated it. That's not professional thinking.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I do wonder sometimes if Tomlin is too hands off, strange as that may sound, and these position coaches are rudderless. And they don't want to be part of a team with no direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    umm outside of Joey Porter? Drake died.

8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Remember before the preseason, when it was generally agreed that the OL couldn’t possibly be worse than 2020? Pouncy and Villanueva were holding this team back, DeCastros loss was another “no biggie”.

They drafted Green, a guy who barely played C, and made him a starter.
    They took a 4th round pick and made him a starting OT
    They thought Zach Banner, a guy who’s now 28 and has 2 career starts was another savior
    Sprinkle in your Haeg, LeGlues and Hassenhauers to fill in the gaps, what could go wrong?

I don’t see how Klemm was gonna turn this group into something special! Even if he was a vast improvement over 2020 scapegoat: Shaun Sarrett.

this organization things it can sprinkle magic B&G pixie dust on players and coaches and poof! The 1970’s reappear.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    All that aside they should have at least lucked themselves into a solid game at least once this season and it's been roadtrip fire drill all season. I don't break down film so I wont try and claim I know this but if they charted every successful +10 yard carry Harris had this season a good portion of them have the offensive line ripping a hole in the defense and Harris hitting it straight ahead with speed. when they try to get fancy and combo block slide to the next level and seal the lane it blows up.

10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I am sure Munch was tired of the BS drama of AB and Bell etc. going on at the time...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Why? He is Denver's offensive line coach now.

Yes, they may have had to throw some money at him and also given him the Title of Asst. Head coach like Denver did, but with the right carrot they could have convinced him to stay in Pittsburgh.

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    How do you know they didn’t? Isn’t it just as likely that munch just really wanted to be closer to family? Is that so out of the realm of possibilty?

13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Not to disparage St Michael and his ability to spin straw into gold, but he been in Denver three years now and their rushing has been bottom half of the league and they’ve given up more than avg sacks every yr. I know it ain’t all his fault, but it seems he’s not Superman when his OL doesn’t have ProBowlers on it.

14. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    so klemm was handed lemons and had no idea what the lemonade recipe was. :shock:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    yep...you're only as good as the tools you have to work with. our players need to be checked for a made in china stamp.

16. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I’m pretty sure if their initial plan for the offseason had come to fruition things would look significantly different.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I can't tell You how many times I've watched this line combo block a D player only 2 let one come free. Hell ....I seen 4 Oline players block 2 D players and let 3 come free. It's freaking maddening sometimes.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Munchak had better talent to work with when he was with Pittsburgh, and those guys on the OL were in their prime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    And he’s off to destroy my Ducks front line now hahahahaha

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    That's actually really good! LOL

• Like Like x 1
  22. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    well you have a rookie center that started 4 games at center prior to the NFL, calling out the protection. that might have something to do with it ..:shrug:

one of the things i have found perplexing is we have seen BJ Finney play at center in place of pouncey and do a solid enough job that the seahawks lured him away...yet Finny has not gotten any snaps at center despite green being the worst center in the league and hasenhauer being no better.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I’ve watched the play where Ben fumbles a few times now. People are blaming green on that, but I’m not so sure it’s all on him. It looks like leglue was blocking air. With nobody overtop and the end on the outside shoulder of Moore it sure seems like he should have at least chipped the guy shooting the gap. Do your job. Do your job. Do your job.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Well, one thing is for certain and that is no one this MB is on the team or a coach and knows for certain what they are saying is even accurate about the workings between the coaches and players. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Your first part, yes, if in fact the HC made the hire. Not so sure about the CEO part when you hear MT is running the defense, unlike what a true CEO does. Klemm doesn't work directly for the HC, he works for the OC I would think. Assuming this team is structured like normal organizations, there is a chain of command and only the coordinators work directly for the HC, not position coaches. So, WTF was the OC doing during the year? JMO>