1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst offense since what year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mikeyg, Dec 20, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Fans get caught in this #1 WR crap, the Eagles and Patriots won Super Bowls recently without having a true #1 WR. The Steelers had AB as a dominant #1 WR and won nothing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Burress had a great moment in his rookie year. He spiked the ball after making a catch, tumbled thought he was down vs Jax. Freakin' hilarious because he was never touched by Jax defender.... FUMBLE! Lmao! Cowher's chin expanded astronomically.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Agree, but I think it also takes a QB that can stretch the field with accuracy to really have a WR like DJ shine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This ^^

They can be a good offence with Diontae, Claypool and Muth as the three primary receivers going forward if they sort out the OLine for whoever will be under Center

I am not giving up on Claypool, the talent is there along with all the physical attributes, he just needs to find the humility to match it. Hopefully he takes this rough patch and uses it as the motivation to get better.

Diontae is a #1 in my eyes and we have seen him give very good corners a tough time throughout his career. In a better offence I think he would be really exceptional

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I expect Washington and possibly JuJu to be gone next season, I think they need to draft a speedy WR to pair with Diontae and Claypool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course he is. He get’s open with ease, runs great routes and good hands. Last year was an anomaly, he was thinking about running after the catch and had some drops and then it got in his head and got worse. Drops have never been a part of his game going back to college.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree. Steelers need a Mike Wallace 2.0

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I’d love to say he’s true number one receiver. I guess what I’m looking at is, in the 4th quarter, they didn’t even go to him. You don’t hear much talk about opposing defensive coordinators game planning against him.

Frankly, I see him getting passes because of the absence of talent in the receiver room.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I look at that as a failure of the offense, forcing it to Harris and Washington but he’s open a ton. And for the most part, Ben goes to him more than anyone.

I don’t hear talk about opposing defensive coordinators game planning against anyone for what that’s worth but I’m sure they do. Anyone that gets targeted as much as he does is being paid attention to.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

What a lot of people here forget, DJ worked his ass off on correcting his drops in the offseason. Seen many clips of him working on catching with tennis balls with one hand and other drills. I only wish the Chase would work that hard in the off season.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    As inconsistent as this offense have been this season, the 2019 Steelers offense have been the worst offense I have witnessed from the Steelers since I became a fan in 2002. It was horrible.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Last year

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Bring this guy in. I don't know his name, but we should defiantly bring him in. SMH

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The Joe Walton offense in 1990 was absolutely horrible until Eric green ended his holdout

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Maybe there's some relevancy to those teams but on this team it's irrelevant. The offense is struggling and part of that is due to the lack of weapons.

DJ is not a weapon or a threat to any defense. His total yards might be top 10 but this guy is not something any defense is going to make adjustments for. A good WR can open things up for other players. If you don't have that you better have an efficient offense that allows you to spread the ball around. You better have a running game or at least a threat to run.

Ben's style has always needed a deep threat. When we have it, our offense is good. As it is now defenses can play it safe , stuff the run with ease, blitz with no worries , keep the safties back and eliminate the deep ball. All because we have no weapons on offense and a line that cannot protect Ben or make holes.

Even an elite possession WR would give us some play making ability on short passes. We are just lucky they catch the ball and get a first down in most cases. If your offense needs to carry a subpar defense you also need to score points.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't know what the heck you're talking about, DJ is one of the best route runners in the league, he has been the best and most consistent player on offense.

17. SteelersMagic85

SteelersMagic85 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2021
    Well according to the stat before halftime, it would be 1940

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    That was the year that came to mind for me as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. kicker_twentyone

kicker_twentyone Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
  20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    lol. You smokin crack .

22. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    If Tomlin starts Rudolph over Ben I will be livid, and Tomlin doesn't rest starters. Najee was sat too so hopefully Tomlin is just being reasonable for once.

23. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Yea DJ is the 2nd coming of randy moss. Lol. Hines Ward and AB need to bow down to the greatness of DJ . Wow

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Thought Claypool would be that "Thermonuclear Option" I harped on two years ago. Sadly, this has not been the case. Definitely need a field stretcher like Wallace again.

25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    lol - was a brain fart - you know who I meant....ADAMS....