1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

4th down spot

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MadtownDruankard, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    From what I remember, Titans should have been penalized twice on the play. The first guy makes helmet to helmet contact and as PF is going to the ground, the second guy does as well.

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I tip according to service. She could have made the situation right but chose to ignore it instead. She got the tip she deserved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    She is lucky that is all you did. I would have had a word with a manager or owner, too.

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes to all above about how bad the officiating is. The gene pool for these positions is declining and we are seeing the results. However, from where the official was to where the tackle took place, a blind man could make just as good of a ball placement as the ref. He guessed/ estimated what he thought he saw and proceeded to spot the ball around where he thought it should be. I think this happens a lot but only gets called out when it is egregiously obviously horrible like this play. One thing that could be influencing this is their reliance of replay to unF their guesses and get it right vs having to solely rely on their accuracy. Then again, what is their excuse for the hideous holding TJW goes through on nearly every play? JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    When she did that My wife and I looked at each other like what universe do we now live in? I'm usually a really good tipper but not for that strange dining experience.

6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey MadtownDruankard and Everyone else.

The referees are the victims of the “Cause and Effect” of Technology being integrated so deeply into the game. Given the “missed-calls” that happen, I would not want anyone of their jobs. They know that when there is a “hairline” call, the game is going to be stopped, a review sent to New York and the referees are either going to look like geniuses or goats.

The referees at that point find themselves also being put under “review” regarding job performance. It is such a fast game that the naked eye just can’t accurately detect what they are being asked to do at times. Again, I would not want anyone of their jobs.

I have noticed time and time again since all of the review “overkill” continues to grow, that when the call comes back from New York, and the referee got the call right, that the game announcers give them so much credit: “great Job” by the referees they say. It is like giving a gold star to a child for a work assignment in school. How would you like to be “instant reviewed” at work several times a day? Not too much fun.

NOW, in regard to the Joe Haden play at the end of the game, there was no reason whatsoever for a replay. Yes, the spot was horrendous and again there was ABSOLUTELY NO NEED for review. That one, the naked eye could have managed. Even though it worked out in our favor in the end the “spot” was absolutely ridiculous and could have been disastrous for us.

The overkill of review has also taken some of the wind out of watching the game as the fandom momentum picks up there goes the “review” to squash it so many times. Over and over on some plays as long as 10-15minutes. It is disgusting. The game is fast and one of inches. In fairness to the referees, at times, they are just not humanly capable to make a “pinpoint” and definitive accurate assessment.

Two Thoughts.

1. The first is a question. Conspiracy-Based (smile).

Does anyone here think, as I do at times, that if a team seems to be the benefactor of “generous” calls in a specific game that the round table of referees, and goofdell, decide that they will now get the “opposite” treatment in some other game to help “balance” it out? I DO.

2. Technology Integration Idea.

One of my teaching certifications is in Computer-Technology. Given that, why not infuse a Microchip into the footballs and/or the players’ pads that will with much greater accuracy, identify the “truth” to many of these “reviewed” calls. I think it will create greater transparency to the validity of the play’s outcome and give the referees some sigh of relief.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Cheap skate

8. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Nope not at all. Took my wife to a Pearl Jam concert the night before. Spent good money on dinner and a hotel and then wanted a Patty Melt WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS the next day to wrap up a fantastic weekend. Didn't need to listen to some lame waitress give me her attitude cause she wanted it her way. Should she have just brought me a salad and told me she was on a diet and that I should just deal with it?

I should have just left the entire meal on the table and walked out without paying at all.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Man I’m just busting your balls.

10. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    :lolol:

That's what the waitress should have said and brought me my correct order.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    From working in the food service as a Young teen. I suggest never eating there if She is working there again.:thumbs_up:
    Other wise Your special sauce.....really might be special. It's why I don't eat out.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2021-12-20_19-58-40.gif

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Ironically, this was at least 8 or 9 years ago and the wife and I went there for the first time for breakfast yesterday morning. She wasn't working there. It was just a waffle house though so I don't expect people to stick around very long.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015

Those are legit comments about the officiating blunders. Technology could alleviate some of that, but we all know that is a slippery slope to start down. The amount of money in the NFL makes it almost a certainty that corruption is involved some of the time. Officials and their salary are a likely target of that corruption, at least that possibility exists from time to time.

Now to the CRUCIAL question for you and the board members.

What official spelling should we use for our 'beloved' commissioner. I prefer GOOFBALL. Steelwinds suggests goofdell. Let's take suggestions and decide on which spelling of his name officially should be placed on his throne.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    exactly

put the tin foil hats down...

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    On the old board, if you talked about our DC, it came up <bad word> LeBeau. Maybe his could be, Roger <bad word>.......?

• Like Like x 2
  17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I was wondering why he went through so much lotion :hmm:

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Wow this thread took a serious turn :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    If the refs would have gave Nick Westbrook Ikhine that 1st down on the 4th down play, that would have been really messed up. And of course the NFL would have came out with a statement about they apologized for making the wrong call, which don't mean crap after the game. The damage would have already been done. Lmao.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    After further review I’m gonna call B.S. on this story.

22. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Since it was the day after a PJ concert in Cincinnati it would be very easy for me to pull up an actual date and approximate time of this historic event. I also have a verifiable witness to this account if needed.

You're probably just busting my balls again though.:hmm:

23. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Get your junk out of the hallway.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

My feelings that this was intentional more than a gaffe is based on a few things.... first off it was so egregious , I've seen poor spots but this was other level bad. I'm usually impressed at how good they do spot it but that's the product of working hundreds of games as an official from pop warner to HS to college to pros. These guys have called a few games in their lives...they know how to spot balls. It's not like it's me out there or a guy with ADHD just guessing were to place the ball. I'd also add the manner in which he did it was a little off. They could have got that snap off... I've seen this in plenty of other games were the ball gets snapped before officials can decide if they want to review it or not. Pretty sure at that point of the game there are no challenges allowed and even if there were I'm confident MT would screw that up. One official could most certainly be biased for a variety of reasons. Conscious or subconscious. You hope that another official has the brains to say nope we are looking at this. How often do you see an official throw a flag at an obvious infraction...only to get it picked up by someone else and say no flag. How does that happen? If he saw it , he saw it. This seems to usually happen in game changing moments ... coincidental or bias?

As for the conspiracy argument... I think there's a couple things at play that some would say is a conspiracy but I do think there's an intentional effort by the NFL to keep games close and at times it does look like they want a last second play to decide games. Game changing flags happen all to frequently at the end of games and it is usually questionable at best or totally ignored all game until the end. The officials knew the game was over if they came up short of that 1st. When blow outs start happening it's strangely coincidental that officials will slow things down. I also think officials make calls based on past actions. Meaning they are so focused on looking for a past infraction that they become trigger happy and they use their power as a deterrent ....James Harrison was a great example of this. The league went after JH on and off the field. That was extreme bias equal to fixing a game to achieve a desired outcome. NE cheating w/ little punishment and zero transparency. Some QBs getting protection while Ben and a few others are allowed to be destroyed every week. These things are not coincidental. While the officials do seem like amateurs at times I can assure you they are not.

The other aspect of conspiracies that I do believe exists is the gambling aspect. Allowing gambling is inviting a fix. It's happened before with much less $ at stake than what is bet each week in the NFL. There's a long list of proven cases in many sports. To think the NFL is immune to this is a naive if not stupid. The NFL does not take security very seriously..... you can look at what the Patriots did as an example.

25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    MB hall monitor has spoken. Looking like Urkel with his high-water pants, short sleeved shirt buttoned to the top, and Poindexter glasses. Where is your hall pass? Hey, stop giving me a purple nurple. Shut up, nerd.