1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

talking about culture (watch all the way through)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Confluence, Dec 14, 2021.

1. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Sometimes it's just a product of the position (i.e. AB, Randy Moss, and Terrell Owens). You can either choose to live with it or not. So no ...its not necessarily something that's coached out of them (I.e. Dontae Burfict). It's kinda like trying to reprogram a unruly child's behavior beyond the adolescent years...its a long shot (even in most kids by the age of seven).

These guys typically are so talented that they believe nobody can tell them anything (especially with receivers who are by nature considered to be divas). In most cases you just have to hope they have an epiphany on their own or a coming to Jesus moment....otherwise you just have to hope for the luck of the draft you pick the guy that's talented and humble rather than talented and a diva. Sometimes these guys dont emerge until after the second year in the league. It probably was several years b4 AB turned into what he was.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    In my eyes if you are under 30 You are still basically a kid. I remember teaching a (kid) guy Welding , and Him getting mad at me for calling Him kid. I told Him if You are young enough 2 be My grandson....You are a kid 2 Me. LoL

• Like Like x 2
  3. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Or it could just be another coach who has similar issues just like all coaches...not just Tomlin as if he invented poor clock management.

• Like Like x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Pretty much nailed it

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Really poor analogy. One is playing a game and the others is a life or death situation. of course you are going to buckle down and listen in the second analogy.

It’s a scientific fact your brain is still evolving at that age.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    you forgot the obvious. Not all people mature at the same age.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Some of us fought it valiantly

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm still fighting it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Well, I was an Airman at that age and we did some pretty stupid chit on and off the job. Some got caught, and some didn't.

• Like Like x 3
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    With age comes wisdom. Not maturity.

:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    lot of "kids" died in vietnam and a ton of other wars. I didn't consider them "kids" Man I have no clue what this country is coming to

12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Well there was 6 mins and 35 secs wasted out of my night:facepalm:.. I don't know/ or care who these guys are in the video, but good god, lol what a loudmouth... all i got from from tomlins "anser:rolleyes:" was blah blah blah, CC is young and is still learning, which is something i have been saying all along

• Like Like x 2
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not disputing that. Doesn't mean they were not kids. It's a sad thing a lot of Kids die in every war. How many were old enough 2 die , but not old enough 2 buy a beer???Apparently by some laws your a kid,and some your not.
    In noway am I trying 2 take away from what everyone of them sacrificed. This I promise You.

14. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    I'm not saying you are trying to take away from their sacrifice. I understand that. When I served with these men they acted like men. Fought like men. If you can't teach a 22 year old to not celebrated when time is running down in a football game don't blame that on being a "kid" Never mind I'm just old and grumpy :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He's the ultimate politician during election time. Promises Promises Promises. A great motivational/eloquent speaker. But, no proof in the pudding. We have heard these speeches and seen the same ol same ol on/off the field. Your speeches and excuses don't develop these guys. A good coach and staff do

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The writing Style was the 1st Give away.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  17. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I agree with the proof is in the pudding, we have had too many bad losses over the years, atrocious post season play in at least the last four years, now its come down to walking

you can talk the talk but can you walk the walk

wld like to see more walking... a good defensive performance against the Titans wld be some of that talk coming into fruition, lets see...

• Like Like x 1
  18. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Let’s see Tomlin says things need to change he put his foot down and benched him for about three plays. Bill Belichick benched a player during the super bowl (which many believe cost them the game). However Bill’s method has earned him 6 Super Bowls and when he speaks his players listen because they know there are consequences. With Tomlin the players know they are in charge (which is why nothing changes).

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That was a good answer. Let’s contrast that to what Belichick would have said had Claypool played for him and continued to make bonehead decisions and mistakes…

*in a low, monotone voice*
    “I prefer to talk about players still on this football team.” :icon e sad:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So, for them to not act not like a kid, we have to stop calling them a kid, and then they'll act like they are not a kid. Great, if that is all it takes, it genius. They act like kids because they haven't grown up yet. What make someone a "grown man" at age 22? His age? They can knock up their girlfriend? Why not 18? Hell, they should have everything figured out by then, right? Maybe it's just a different perception of what make a grown man, "grown". JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    your perception of a grown man and mine will never match. The military required them to be men and they were. I required the men in my squads to be men and they were. It's really very simple. In your mind poor Chase is just a kid. He's 22 years old and should not be considered a kid. But if you want to consider them a kid that's fine. Then there are a lot of 40 year old kids out there. Pick any age you want. A kid becomes a man when he's required to act like a man. You can call them any damn thing you want. I don't care. I've been around men that were that were 17 and 18 and they weren't the exception to the rule. Like I said I'm older than the vast majority of you guys and I realize you view me as some kind of fossil. That's ok with me. I know what a man is. I've been around them all my life and for 24 years in the military I saw 17 and 18 year old kids become men. Doesn't seem to me to be a stretch to expect someone with all the advantages that a man like Claypool has to act like a man. I'm done with this topic. I may not be a genius. Never said I was. But I've had a ton of experience recognizing men and kids. Now I'm done.

• Like Like x 3
  23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I can't get past your comparison of Claypool to three of the best receivers to ever play the game.

24. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    With age comes bad eyesight, aching muscles, having to get up in the middle of the night to urinate, gray hair…

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I wasnt comparing him to them talent wise. Where did you read that at?? I was showing your statement was flawed when you said by the second year character flaws should have been coached out of people. I listed 3 players where they had issues on and off the field for most of their careers, but I also listed Burfict. I could have mentioned a whole lot of other players popular and unpopular at different positions, but I know most people know the history of the players I mentioned. The fact that you looked at my comment as a comparison of talent (which I never did one time) shows you clearly dont get a simple point, but yet you wanna rag on Claypool.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021