1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Look At Me! Another Fire Mike Tomlin Thread!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Dec 10, 2021.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Good post, Rollers, and I’d like to thank you and your son for your service. I didn’t have the honor of serving but my dad served during WW2 and my brother served during Vietnam. Like you, I get a little fed up with all of the self-serving “look at me” celebrations. That’s why I love players like Heath and Barry Sanders who take a “no big deal, this is my job” approach to the game. Oh I don’t mind a high kick a la Porter and Watts or an arrow shot like Kiesel, but this idiocy where you run the entire length of the field to lay down for a picture in the endzone is pathetically over the top, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU’RE DOWN BY THREE FREAKING TOUCHDOWNS!!!

I took last year off from the Steelers and the NFL because of all of the political posturing and over the top messaging, and quite honestly I hated the dystopian piped in crowd noise and cardboard fan cutouts so that played into it as well. Shoot, I took a two year hiatus from the message board for some of the reasons you mention above but I think most if the guys on here are pretty good dudes and know the game of football so I’m back. At any rate, I understand and appreciate where you’re coming from. The Steelers have developed a culture problem and it has to be dealt with somehow. Players will act up even on the most disciplined teams at times but there are always repercussions when that happens. With the Steelers, it seems to be occurring far too often without any recourse. I hate to say it this way, but the inmates seem to be running the asylum.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Dusty1 said: ↑
    Mike Tomlin won the SB with 13 players signed or drafted by the Cowher regime. He went back and lost the SB with 8 players signed or drafted by the Cowher regime.
    Since then, he’s credited with 5 playoff wins. That’s 5 playoff wins in a dozen seasons. Are the Rooney’s content with mediocrity? Why don’t they expect more from their Staff?

DukeDukeDaDaDa said:
    Because people keep coming to the games and watching on TV. Why mess with that? By no means do I agree but I think on a basic level that's what it comes down to.

---not nitpicking but where did you come up with the ---

"Mike Tomlin won the SB with 13 players signed or drafted by the Cowher regime."

heck, 8 starters on offense and 8 starters on defense alone were drafted.

only on o c justin hartwig, rg darnell stapleton and rb willie parker were not. wp,
    of course was also on the cowher 05 championship team

only on d farrior, jhar and fs ryan clark were not.
    both james farrior and james harrison were also on the 05 team. probably
    also on the 2010 team.

thats 19 of 22 just starters. 16 drafted and 3 from 2005.
    oops! correction woodley and spaeth were drafted in 2007 so its
    only 17 starters.

i didn't bother to count the bushel that were drafted that also contributed.

those fans that say they won with cowhers players are right.

btw: you hear that all the time. me, i never paid any attention to it before.
    of course a team is going to keep its key players a few years after a new guy
    comes in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    https://www.steelcityunderground.com/2021/04/05/did-mike-tomlin-win-with-bill-cowhers-players/

I provided the data from the link above. Not sure of its accuracy.

I’m convinced the Cower culture that was instilled in the core group that Tomlin adopted was vitally more important to Tomlin’s early success than the actual players.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    @Steel Hog , @Rollers , @JackAttack 5958

Just wanted to say thank you for your service, to you and all who were mentioned in your posts.

The game has definitely changed, and not for the better. For me, I can't stop watching football. Out of disgust I have tried a few times, but I always come back to it.

As for the board, I love it here. It's free entertainment. I think the banter back and forth is hilarious. Positive people getting mad at negative people and vise versa. I think it's great.

I try not to take things written on here too seriously. I can argue with someone in one thread and like their posts in a different thread at the same time. It is just people talking football. It would be boring if guys didn't mix it up with each other occasionally.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    :this!:

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Butler said Arians called him once he got the Tampa Bay job, Butler wasn't interested in leaving.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Bill Cowherd, you know the guy that followed Chuck Knoll and preceded Mike Tomlinson.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Discipline.
    Roethlisberger brought that team back.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    ---initially i used the pro-football-reference.com starting rosters of 2005 and 2008

the following is from the official nfl gamebook of those years. its even better
    i didn-t even include heath miller or santonio holmes. cripes i didn't include
    fs ryan clark acquired by cowher in 2006 when santonio was drafted.

from the official nfl 2008 sb gamebook

WR 86 H.Ward DE 91 Aa.Smith
    LT 78 M.Starks NT 98 C.Hampton
    LG 68 C.Kemoeatu DE 99 B.Keisel
    C 62 J.Hartwig OLB 56 L.Woodley
    RG 72 D.Stapleton LILB 51 J.Farrior
    RT 74 W.Colon RILB 50 L.Foote
    TE 83 H.Miller OLB 92 J.Harrison
    TE 89 M.Spaeth LCB 24 I.Taylor
    QB 7 B.Roethlisberger FS 25 R.Clark
    TE 49 S.McHugh SS 43 T.Polamalu
    RB 39 W.Parker RCB 20 B.McFadden

subs
    K 3 Je.Reed, WR 10 S.Holmes, WR 14 L.Sweed, P 17 M.Berger, RB 21
    M.Moore, CB 22 W.Gay, S 23 T.Carter, CB 26 D.Townsend, RB 33
    G.Russell, CB 37 A.Madison, RB 38 C.Davis, LB 54 A.Frazier, LB 55
    P.Bailey, LB 57 K.Fox, LS 61 J.Retkofsky, DT 76 C.Hoke, WR 85
    N.Washington, DE 90 T.Kirschke, DE 93 N.Eason, LB 94 L.Timmons

---i looked at the link and saw your point. he said
    "There are several mainstays between 2005 and 2008, but only 13 players
    were around for both Super Bowls: this guy wants to emphasize the 2010 sb. he is sort of correct but
    8d starters 4 0 starters plus l foote, a smith, randle el and chris hoke were also still around.

WR 86 H.Ward NT 98 C.Hampton
    LT 72 J.Scott RDE 99 B.Keisel
    LG 68 C.Kemoeatu LOLB 56 L.Woodley
    C 64 D.Legursky LILB 51 J.Farrior
    RG 73 R.Foster RILB 94 L.Timmons
    RT 71 F.Adams ROLB 92 J.Harrison
    TE 83 H.Miller LCB 20 B.McFadden
    RB 34 R.Mendenhall FS 25 R.Clark
    FB 85 D.Johnson SS 43 T.Polamalu
    QB 7 B.Roethlisberger RCB 24 I.Taylor
    TE 89 M.Spaeth CB 22 W.Gay

btw: woodley, timmons and gay were drafted in 2007 draft. cowher was still coach in 2006
    and finished early in 2007. that was a damn good draft. i often wondered about that.
    maybe he had some input there. tomlin was coach for sure before april but just sayin'.

all i can say is there are a lot of steeler haters who don't know crap
    about the team and are jumping with joy at the current state of the
    team. anything they can do to continue this trend they will do.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Great post! Tomlin was handed a loaded team from top to bottom. The further removed from the Cowher years (hope I spelled it right for the grammar cops) the more inept the institution became. Here we are now a dozen years later neck deep in a “me first” culture and with an empty cupboard taboot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey chris2fer.

Excellent timeline breakdown of the Tomlin era and the Pittsburgh Steelers' "downslide" per se with him as the Head Coach. The key as you stated : ".... the culture changed." The key word being "Culture". We have had some extraordinary athletes come through Pittsburgh during the Tomlin era. Stardom-Like in physical ability but not in attitude. Bell, Brown, Bryant, Claypool and others. The difference, the "Will" to want to be the "Best" in the World versus their personal agendas and branding.

Blame it on a lot of things. I have coached sports for over forty years. And as the adage goes: "No one person is greater than the team". As a personal example, it broke my heart when I had to release one of the best athletes from my team one season. However, his attitude was "toxic" and I nipped it early enough so that it did not spread like an infection to the rest of my team. The good thing is that he understood why I did what I did and after some "time-off", he came back to finish up the season after a team apology and a long talk with me one to one.

In the end, he was very essential to us winning the championship that season. The first in the school's history and we probably would not have won it without him. Nonetheless, a stance had to be made for the overall "health" of the team.

I am glad that it worked out as it was my first-year coaching and he was the star runner on my team and a senior. Prior to my becoming the Coach, he knew only team failure as it was a very special first year coaching experience for me, for him, the team and the school. Fairytale like going from the "doormats" of the league to "Champions" in just one year. I am not boasting here just making a point about player attitude and Team "Culture".

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  13. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I was at that game and remembered that incident. Good times.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    This guy is a little too accurate. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Sorry . . . The executives of the franchise need to give Tomlin a stern talking to.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Unfortunately one of the two top things Anthony Smith will be remembered for. DL maybe should have told him to get on with his life's work.

• Agree Agree x 1