1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben Back Next Year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dusty1, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    If he’s willing, do we welcome him back? Does he give us the best chance to win? Hypothetically, say he comes back for another $15M. Doesn’t this give us another year to bolster the line in the draft and shore up the ILB situation. Or do we just roll with Mason and see what we have in him?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I don't think he wants to come back, to the Steelers anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think Ben wants out. He was flat out chippy on the sidelines yesterday. I think he has had enough. He isn't thinking retirement. He is thinking new team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What makes anyone think Ben would go to another team. That would mean a new offensive coordinator and a new playbook. Neither of these have been his strong point.

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If he wants to come back then yes

HACK

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Absolutely YES Dusty1. And that is a double YES if the Offensive Line can be significantly improved. Again, Ben is not the problem here folks it is the O-Line and in fairness to them maybe some folks expectations were set too high for them this season and admittedly that includes mine. Get a "True" center and bring in a Quality Veteran or two as well as First Round Draft Choice.

The Skilled Position Players are in place, as of now. Of course, some from the list below may be gone.
    • Johnson
    • Claypool
    • Washington
    • JuJu
    • Harris
    • Freiermuth
    • Gentry

• Also get a Speedster Wide Receiver AND a quality back-up to Najee from somewhere.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    make him player/coach

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    How much good can he do when the team has so many needs to fill? Too many in my estimation to believe that they will be anything more than a mid-pack team next year, even with Ben. If he still wants to play, I'd find it hard to fault him for testing FA for a better situation.

10. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I'll pass...I'll pass on Rudolph too. Might want to give Haskins a go and may this be the last DMV player (born and raised or school) that Tomlin ever lays his eyes on as long as he is coach of this team should he not work out. I think he's 0 for 5 so far in bringing players from that region on the team. They've all let him down.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    I said a week ago he would float around the league for a while.He doesn’t have it out of his system yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    the Browns have a decision to make real soon. Baker isn’t exactly lighting it up. If they call up Ben and make an offer, does he entertain it? If so, do you root for or against him? What’s that drive from Sewickley? 90 minutes?

13. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    If he still wants to play someone will give him a one year deal there are a lot of bad QBs in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I would take him back over the alternatives. If we had an even average offensive line, he would be more than serviceable. You can't expect a 39 year old QB to survive behind this line. I think back to 2003 and how Maddox was getting killed behind our oline. Ben has the mobility of Maddox at this point in his career. Unless we get a Deshawn Watson type QB, we will struggle offensively until our line is improved. I also predict Najee Harris would gain 1800 yards behind a slightly better than average oline. Our team would be superbowl contenders if we have decent line play on both sides of the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I'll just add if Ben had the mobility he had in 2004, we'd have a much improved offense. He patched over the weaknesses we had in the oline with his mobility. Aside from Ben, we didn't get significantly more talented from the 6-10 2003 team to the 15-1 2004 team. That was all Ben. Now he doesn't have that magic escape ability. So he needs to have a competent oline to do his thing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    I don't want Ben back next year, but if the plan is for Rudolph or Haskin to start, i would cart Ben back out there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    He might keep the same OC he's had for years, himself. JK

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    If Ben goes to another team, he becomes the f ing enemy. Period. I don't owe him chit and he did what he was very well paid to do. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    He’s done.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Exactly. If by some slim chance he decides to come back…it’s in the black ‘n gold

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Timbrr

Timbrr Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Ben has a long life to live. He's a dad and a husband. He doesn't need the money. There is no sense of him being in wheel chair. Walk away Ben and don't look back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    After the beating he just took, my crystal ball says that was Ben's last game.

I see Ben on the Injury report for the rest of the season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    IMO Ben is retiring. I'm really curious to what happens next. I can't believe the front office has any faith in Mason as our future. Should we not draft a QB early and I see Mason under center in 2022 I'll lose all respect for a once great organization.

25. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Why in the world would Ben want to come back for another year of this hot mess?!!??

• Agree Agree x 6