1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the Minnesota meltdown

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, ridiculous to blame Muth for that. At full speed it looked like a drop but replay clearly shows a good defensive play to break that up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Really? I mean, I get it on a night like this, where we're being blown out for 2.5 quarters before suddenly mounting a 28-point comeback that falls just short. But as for the season, consider:

1. Four of five starters new to the OL; two were rookies
    2. QB that has limitations in mobility and arm strength
    3. Claypool a second-year WR that endures a decline in volume due to #2
    4. New OC whose system seems predicated on OL blocking and movement

5. Defense loses starting NT and RT out of the gate; two of three to the DL
    6. MLB coming off of ACL injury
    7. CB1 now 32; CB2 released; youth to step up and fill the gaps

I'm not making excuses for the package going into the season, just saying it wasn't overwhelming to begin with. The injuries and lack of depth just compounded the issue.

As for JW, he's been given the chance in previous years. Honestly, I think he has a role in a WR corps somewhere; just trying to figure out what that role is.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    My biggest take on tonight’s game is that we need a true center and Green needs to move to the position he knows best.

Tonight I wanted to close my eyes and hold my breath on every snap he made, so many high snaps, too many bullet snaps. Plus not even snapping the ball when he needs to.

This throws off the timing on almost every play.

Overall I am usually and I should be optimistic about the almost come back, but in the end the same result whether it would have been a blowout or just 8 points. It means nothing, it’s another loss and harder for any playoff chances.

why can’t we play 4 solid quarters of a game. We always only play 1 maybe 2 quarters of a game.

4. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    that was a play that if he held on its a great catch, if dropped its a great def play. Probaly 50-50 chance.

5. One Time

One Time Member

Dec 10, 2021
    This..... injuries and depth. Everything else is noise. Nice comeback by #7 and the kids.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is two games where friermuth doesn't come through, yet people burn JuJu all the time for baltimoe
    loss a couple years back. I hope the Steelers can bring JuJu back he delivers.

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don’t know, JuJu as a #1 struggles to get open. I just can’t justify breaking the bank to bring him back.

It sounds like Schobert got benched too for a bit. What is up with our LB’s?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Not sure I follow your logic here. Assuming we were going to make the playoffs this year was a big assumption. With the amount of new young guys we had - plus Ben sporadic at best - it was always going to be difficult.
    Not 29-0 difficult, mind...

9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This debacle, for me, showed for the 1st time dissention within the ranks. Ben clearly upset talking to MT, MT following BB around the sideline, saw TJ and Cam talking on the bench in a manner that I hadn't see previously. Something is wrong internally and it looks like it is building. When I saw TJ on the sideline, I didn't know he was hurt until he was out of uniform. My first impression of how he looked was he just didn't want to play anymore. I know that this probably not the case but that was my first impression. We looked so bad in the first half it will take me a while to process this. JMO>

10. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I think they put every MLB on the roster out there to try to stop the run, including Bush

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Steelers record when TJ plays > 50% of the snaps: 6-2-1

Steelers record when TJ plays < 50% of the snaps: 0-4

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea I noticed this that too with Ben and Tomlin and the entire bench. They have no clue what is going on. Tomlin talks a good game but does nothing. Someone asked him if coaches should be held accountable for the D’s play after and Tomlin’s response was I never meet a coach on here who missed a block or tackle. So he pretty much absolved himself and his staff of any wrong doing in that debacle of a performance last night. Tomlin is arrogant and this guys seat can’t get warm enough moving forward even though we know it never will because Art Rooney is completely clueless and has no idea what the hell he is doing.

13. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    As perfect as the pass was I thought he should have thrown the fade to Johnson who had 1 on 1 coverage after the safety ran to Muth he knew Ben was going there the whole time which is why 3 guys hit him.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That was some of it, though there were also times they had three inside linebackers on the field last night.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He didn't have the time to go through his progressions, but he made a perfect throw and gave Freiermuth a great chance to score the touchdown.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Smith-Schuster fumbled away two huge games, that one and the loss to the Saints the year before. He doesn't always come through.

That wasn't on Freiermuth. Sometimes, you have to give the defensive guy credit for making a great play.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    My observation is this team is so tone deaf its stupid.

Doing the team defense pose while getting a Turnover down 29-7. While Dalvin Cook been torching your defense like he was a flame thrower on a Nazi bunker nest on D-day.....

Chase Claypool bad Personal Foul, then makes stupid first down gesture, costs team at least 7-8 seconds of time, trying to pull off an improbable comeback.

Now in defense there are some guys giving it their all. Mainly Cam Heyward, and Big Ben.

Big Ben gets totally demolished no one even helps him up see if is ok, heck they don't even see if he is dead....

Used to be a prideful group, but we have lost our team culture and identity. I blame the a lot of the players we have, and coaching. Tomlin will more than likely stay, but he needs to be less of a players coach, and needs a more stern approach with a lot of ways.

I feel for Ben that 39 year old dude is leaving it all out there... and no one even seems to give a poo....

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i saw allen involved in two plays and he blew them both. he is not the answer. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, he isn't, but it was nice to see an attempt at holding players accountable by benching them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    #6 Screw pride I'm all in for higher draft pick.

That said, I'd enjoy screwing up the Ravens playoff position the last game of the season.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not by compounding the problem though. :cool:

22. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    So 6-10-1 coming up:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Can we take a cue from the Washington Football Team and change our name to the Pittsburgh Fourth Quarter Team?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Dude, unreal! I can't believe they could hold their head high and actually do that, they were getting blown out. No shame I guess?

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    All of bunch of Jambroni's... do you see who wasn't posing. Cam Heyward...

• Like Like x 2