1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

William Gay

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blair, Nov 13, 2011.

1. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Let's here what yins think about his play today.......good follow up game from last week, IMO.

Defended the pass that was picked and had one of his own.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I can't say for sure because I was watching a feed, but I'll rewatch it tomorrow in HD. From what I saw, he played very well today. He had that sweet pick, as well as some nice stops.

3. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I was at the game today, and he seemed to play a lot better today. I thought he was out of position a little bit but he always managed to get to his man if the ball was thrown his way. As for the pick, he read that the entire way. The receiver never even had a chance on that ball.

4. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If he ever plays consistently then he'll be a solid CB. So far this season he's been up and down by the week.

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I've said it before, but Gay has played a lot better this season. Last week, we saw his bad game and it took us back to all those seasons before. But he's using his smarts. On the int, he read the play well. It wasn't an amazing move, but going for the ball rather than letting them make the catch then tackling is a sign of his growing confidence.

Admittedly, I could just be in a happy haze cos we won.

6. dkblue

dkblue Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Gay played an excellent game.

7. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Fact. If we can get some consistency from him it won't be bad... of course if we could get some consistency from the whole team we're probably sitting at 9-1 or better.

8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    man I thought this was another waive gay thread

9. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    for the most part he has been pretty solid this season. sure hes out of position and gets beat sometimes, but when the other team is throwing at you 75% of the time your going to give up some plays.

i think with Ike, Gay, Lewis and Allen, the db's have looked pretty good and the future at that position isnt as bad as we thought.

10. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He anticpated the play and was actually moving to hit the reciever, the reciever stopped on his route which is why he made the int. Don't get me wrong, he made the play and it won the game but he lost the game last week, one that was important, he has more bad games than good games and when he is bad, it is really bad, so I'm glad he made a play but he still needs to go.

11. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hate to say it but, Game Ball.

12. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    :this!:

13. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    William Gay played well today.I have to give him his props.Can he play consistently the rest of the way?Only time will tell. He should get today's game ball.

14. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    He played very well!! Digest player of week. Lets hope he keeps it up!!

15. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Some of you guys are too hard on Gay. He makes some mistakes but I think all in all he is solid. I remember Rod Woodson use to get once a week too, some times two times a week. I like Gay, He got Steeler football in his blood.

16. robsong

robsong Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Lets see what happens after the bye week.

17. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Before the game I really enjoyed reading this article on the Trib:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 67079.html

I do think they Gay has played much better this year. Yes, he did give up the game winning touchdown, but that was on a play where we were called for pass interference and Smith completely pushed off Gay in the end zone on that game winning score. Still, our defense should not have let them go 92 yards, but I am just saying....

18. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If you are referring to the last play against the Ravens the he "lost" the game your wrong. Ryan Clark blew the coverage over the top on that play. Gay played a good game, and if he doesn't make the break on that ball and pick it off regardless of whether the receiver stops on his route he would have still caught that ball and we may not have won that game. You have to give credit where credit is due, Gay can't be the goat every week. Troy, Clark and Ike all were in the area of that td pass to Aj Green.

19. Ronak

Ronak Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Willie played his ass off today. Kudos @ him.

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As much as I have downed Gay,,,,he is getting better each game this year.....He is almost a respectable NFL CB now......At one time I thought if he was cut no one would sign him........I now feel he has NFL value so that's a huge leap for him IMO.....

21. Woody283

Woody283 Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He did make a couple of plays but he always seems to get burnt for TD's on regular basis. He is our week link in the secondary. What happened to McFadden?

22. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Willie Gay is fine. Does he make mistakes. Yes. But who the hell doesn't? TD pass to AJ Green torched Polly and Clark (and Ike was involved as well) and I don't hear people downing them. Hell, Polly was yards away from a completed pass early in that game.

Gay has needed time to adjust to LeBeau's defense... one that had him laying back in zone, quite a bit. Notice Gay is playing better now that the secondary strategy has become more aggressive... (read: more man coverage).

Aside from the pick, Gay had a swat down, or two. And it also seemed he had a couple situations where the receiver caught the ball but he tackled the catch immediately to prevent YAC.

I doubted Gay in seasons past, as well. But, after seeing his performance, this year, I have to give that man his props. He belongs in a Steelers uniform.

23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Gay had a good game, I try to defend him, I'm not really a basher.

That said, if you put Deshae's career as the #3 corner up to Gays, Deshae was way more solid and reliable.

24. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I torch him when he screws up so it's only fair I praise him when he does well. Gay saved the game today with that pick. Great heads up play reading the QB's eye and good hands to come up with the catch. Well done #22!

25. Woody283

Woody283 Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not a Gay basher but let's be serious over the course of the season he regularly gets beat on 3rd down situations and big play scores. He has played better this season and yesterday was his best game but he did get beat several times on key 3rd and short. Yes he made a nice play at the end of the game but Curtis Painter has thrown a nice TD pass so does that make him a legitimate starting QB in the NFL? I hope I'm wrong but eveytime we have a must stop on thrid down I find myself screaming "Gay again".