1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Claypool missed a hot read, Ben was pissed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 7, 2021.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m not specifically dumping this on Claypool just yet, but it’s like having 6 cans of beer but you don’t have the plastic thingie that holds them together.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Juju is an afterthought at this point. Unless they bring him back on a one year deal a bit less then he got this season. This is Washington's last year in Black& Gold. I do feel like you they will draft a receiver as well but not a high pick. A Free agent pickup could be in the cards.

Ray Ray will get more snaps in the offense next season. Cody White as well.

2022:

Diontae Johnson
    Chase Claypool
    Ray-Ray McCloud
    Cody White
    ?

There are 3 receivers on the PS at this point, Anthony Miller, Steven Sims and Tyler Vaughns.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I wish teams (at least our Steelers) had a maturity and humility course for younger players to attend when entering the NFL.

With so many millions riding on the line it’s just so crazy that even though they are young some can’t grasp the reality of the gift and opportunity at hand. I really think a concerted effort needs to happen. Not just for them, the team or the fans, but for society.
    The Henry Ruggs tragedy is just only the illustration of why.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    It may be a sophomore slump. This time last year, some folks were writing off DJ as a bust in the making

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I think he will be OK, the offense has been a hot mess this year. Until there is consistency on that side of the ball, this kind of stuff will happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If man coverage and all other WR ‘S running short why is the hot read not a lob deep ball to the sideline?Other Qb’s make that throw all the time .

7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    He has all the tools physically. He may not be that football smart mentally. If not an IQ problem, lack of mental discipline and taking his job seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Hopefully we start using the pistol formation a lot more. Tired of Ben handcuffing the run game and play action passing game.

9. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    For Claypool's draft position, Size, Strength, and speed. He stinks. DJ and JuJu have to be the guys we keep going forward. they need to make it a priority. James Washington i guess just stinks too idk. Edit. Strictly on the field give me Martavis over claypool all day. Off the field they're both dumb as all get out. And Chase on the field doesn't seem to be that smart. but Martavis was worse in that regard off the field

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Claypool is sammie coates with fingers that aren't mangled

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    So far....Martavis Bryant > Chase Claypool.

12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Looks like this turned into a Chase Claypool out of town thread.:threaten:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not for Me. I notice what he does wrong. Nobody is perfect. He needs 2 work on it, and definitely has 2 know when He's the guy on the Hot route.
    Hell I heard Jerry Jones outing His Wr today for not turning his head the right way. LoL. So surly We can be upset if He doesn't know what 2 do if He's the hot route. No hate....just work on it.:thumbs_up:

14. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Claypool has the look of a guy that took his early success for granted. I hope he can turn it around, he has time and he has the tools needed. It’s up to him now

DJ had a down year his second year too but he has been great in 2021

I dont know what has happened to James Washington, he was quite good in 2019 when he got a chance to play. I thought that when Juju went down we would see him on the field a lot more but most of those snaps have gone to Ray Ray who has done ok but he doesn’t have JW’s big play ability

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

I personally am not writing off Claypool all together. I had my grievances with Diontae in 2020 and much of what I stated about Diontae can currently be applied to Claypool right now. Again though, up to him if he elects to be the player I truly believe he can be; others as well. The abilities and potential are there and can be seen for miles on end. Putting it all together though will be his call and his to make. I do believe in him of course but believing in oneself is more important as that person is the only one who can stop themselves from reaching greater heights.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I follow most of the players on social media and in the offseason I saw a lot of videos from Diontae working on routes with his own trainer etc. Juju also works his ass off every offseason. You can see how much those guys want it.

I hope Chase follows that example and does everything he can do to maximise his immense potential. I believe that in the right offence he could be a huge weapon. We have seen glimpses of it already

• Like Like x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I believe he will. All it takes for some is some good ole' humble pie. I believe that Chase has gotten quite a mouthful of it already this season.

He should be able to rebound. I am just cautiously optimistic on who he will be working with. Diontae, along with Cameron Sutton, visited with a twitter handle by the name of "RouteGod"; a grandiose, over the top name if you ask me. Diontae clearly has shown improvement though I doubt all of it is due to this handles as I would imagine Diontae busted his butt off. I hope Chase can at least give this user a chance.

• Like Like x 2
  18. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben missed a wide open WR, WR was pissed.

19. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes that’s him the routegod lol, AB trains with him too I believe

I think the initiative to go do that rather than sit on a beach shows something. Perhaps I am being unfair to Chase as I honestly don’t know how he spent his offseason

If it is actually a focus / work ethic issue a bit of a kick in the ass from fans and media may do wonders

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No different when you guys start a bash Tomlin thread after every loss :shrug:, Claypool does seem to be in a sophomore slump, he only has 1 TD this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    We saw Chase last offseason outside a bar kicking a dude :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 2
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Not for me, they need him moving forward, JuJu and Washington are both likely to leave after the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It was a pretty nice kick though. LoL

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Nah, it was a dumb move by him, he has more to lose than those guys he was with.

• Like Like x 1
  25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I don't know. It's a hard call. Being out with some buddies of yours and they get in a scrap cause drinks are flowing and he hit on the wrong chic or whatever it was, I have a hard time not having his back as he's getting pounded.

• Agree Agree x 1