1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ravens jumping offside after the 2 minute warning…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Dec 6, 2021.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Did anybody else think the Ravens jumped offside on purpose on that 2nd and 2 play at the 13 after the 2 minute warning so that Harbaugh could have a fresh set of downs and give the Steelers a 1st and goal and guarantee them a chance to get the ball back. I thought that was a very smart move by Harbaugh because if the Ravens stop the Steelers on 2nd and 2 and use a timeout and then get the Steelers get 1st down on 3rd down and 1 or 2 and the Ravens use another timeout they only have one left and then the Steelers could essentially run it down to 5-10 seconds and kick the FG and win it 15-13 and the Ravens never get the ball back. Just seeing if I was the only one who noticed this or thought that offsides play was completely deliberate and on purpose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It was so early a jump he could have actually been really late on the previous play.:hmm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree it was a VERY smart calculated move and will be discussed a lot in the media and pod casts going forward. When it happened I put it all together AFTER he did it and was really impressed with a chess move I personally don’t ever remember seeing or believe would have come to my mind.

But I have contemplated before allowing teams to score so you get the ball back with enough time leap frog them. Like what happened in the Arizona Super Bowl. I think it was only a plat or two before Fitzgerald scored on that TD pass and ran nearly half the field I had just said, “if they are going to score I hope it happens sooner than later, because we are going to need the clock” and then the rest is history.

I was watching that game with a few non football people who were like “daaaaammmmnnnn” when it played out just like that and BEN played perfectly.

I still don’t know if Ben or Harrison really should have gotten the MVP. All three guys deserved it. That game was glorious!

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Yeah I think they purposely did it to save time and it was a good move.

I also don't blame him for trying to win it wit a 2 point conversion, I'm not sure why more coaches don't try that.

I appreciate him trying to end it right then and there. Being that there was already two lengthy OT home games this year at Heinz

Seahawks and Lions went a long time this season.

Sadly we needed to do a better job and not let them drive down the field. Also didn't help that Boswell kicked it out bounds and gave them the ball at 40 yard line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    They also faked an injury to stop the clock. This is what teams do that play smart situational football. Our players didn't even know you could tie.

The Ravens seem to be smart but take unnecessary risks playing a bad team. Their game plan was stupid...or that abandoned a good game plan way too quickly? I cannot believe they didn't just run the ball down our throats. Lamar attempted 37 passes and was sacked 7 times. They were avg'ing over 4 yards a carry running the ball on us.

It's funny to me that they would use their head to manage the clock then go for 2 when they had a chance for OT. No one questions them if they just tie it up and for good reason. If they win the toss they probably win the game. If they lose the toss what are the odds we drive the field for a TD? What was more likely.? You don't typically see the better team taking that gamble. The Ravens had better odds winning in OT because they are top to bottom a better team. They could have ran all over us and decided to keep us in the game by dropping their QB back way too often. Our defense can play fast if you let them. The ravens played to our strengths. A good team would have beat us with force... even bad teams can do that. If Watt isn't making plays we lose. so why not take him out of the game? The Ravens beat them selves.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Both Hairballs do that crap on purpose all the time. It still doesn't upset as much as their fake injuries in order to change personnel and to save TO's.

• Like Like x 1
  7. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I got no problem with playing within the rules regardless to how it may look. If it's legal, then why not?

8. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I kind of want to do away with the extra point kick and make these all 2 point tries after TD's. I think it would add another exciting dimension to games. They would never do that due to player safety concerns though.

-or-

If they want to continue to have single point kicks, make it to where the person that scored the TD has to kick the XP!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The league should implement a rule that if you are injured, real or not, you must sit out that possession. This is football not football (soccer).

10. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Faking injuries to get different personnel out there or to save TO's is garbage coaching. The Hairballs continually do this year in and year out when the game is on the line. They are not the only ones though. Belichick does that often as well.

11. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    If the league doesn't like it, then they should change the rule.

12. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

That would get my vote.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    It was intentional and a smart coaching move. Something that I think is beyond Mike Tomlin, unforuntately.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Any team just has to run on us and they will win it’s that simple

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sometimes being legal doesn't mean you should do it. Case in point the pass play to DJ where he got blown up way before the pass arrived. The Ravens coach guys to know the rules. It was a tipped pass so everything is fair game. They once almost killed Ward on a bubble screen that got tipped. I think it was Suggs that basically Jack Tatum'd into the ground. If the Steelers were smart they would do it too just as a deterrent.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Injury in the last two minutes costs you a timeout.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Belicheck's guys elevated it to an art form. Rodney Harrison healthy all year and in the AFCCG suddenly goes down as momentum is swinging to Pittsburgh acting like he is dying. TV time out, Patriots defense huddling up on the sideline. Harrison get his one play off and is back out there as the Pats stiffen up and the drive fails. Another lost AFCCG . Patriots :puking2:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    If you have one. If you don't you can always hope the refs will stop the game to decide if a team really had possession of a catch ran three step had it punched out and fumbled backwards to be recovered with 10 seconds left on the clock.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I was thinking that exact same thing would Tomlin have the smarts to do that or wouldn’t he have thought of it at all. I definitely believe it was on purpose though for sure and it was a very calculating smart move and it almost helped the Ravens win the game.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, I don’t think they did it on purpose at all. If you want to let them score let them score, haven’t we actually seen that before?

I think they’d rather hold them to a FG so they don’t need a TD. Giving them a fresh set of downs just allows them to eat more clock if they don’t score right away.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Yup - said it last night. It was 100% deliberate and actually pretty brilliant on the Ravens part. Didn't work, but it was 100% a calculated, well thought out risk.

22. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    It was 2nd and 2. He's basically figuring the Steelers will get a first down and if it took 2nd and 3rd down to get the 1st down, Baltimore would be down to 1 TO with about 145 left. Steelers could run on 1st down, Ravens take their last time out around 140, then kneel on 2nd down and 3rd down running the clock down to about 15-20 seconds remaining, kick the FG and the Ravens have maybe the kickoff then 1 play, not enough.

It was a completely smart move by Harbaugh.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Memory like an elephant. Remember, and reuse. I like it:thumbs_up:

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Think you are reaching.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014