1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you could bring one player back in their prime to try and fix this team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Nov 30, 2021.

1. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I wouldnt say they went all in on Kordell and for the right reasons. Sure they designed some packages, but the whole ravens scheme is for lamar. I dont think a running type qb is best paired with a back like bettis.

Lamar has crumbled in the playoffs and the steelers have made him have some of his worst outings in the regular season. That said hes been pretty good and id imagine with the extra game this year it'll be his 3rd year with 1,000 rushing yards and barring injury will be a top tier qb for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So is it stats Your looking for, or SBs???
    Cause Lamar isn't sniffing one. You are correct he probably will get another 1000 yards rushing. Just what I've always wanted out of my Qb....NOT, but thats just Me. :shrug:
    Plus He's been doing pretty good??? He has one more passing Td then Ben, and 5 more turnovers. Yet Ben is washed up. Something isn't adding up.:shrug:

3. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I really liked Bill Cowher but I think that he was stubborn by trying to fit a square peg like Kordell into a round hole. To me anyway I thought Cowher tried to prove that Stewart could be a classic pocket QB and that just wasn't his skill set.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    People we ran a lot of plays designed for Kordell. Again..
    Why have they been forgotten. Did everyone forget all the designed runs by Kordell???
    How is that fitting a square peg into a round hole. Problem came when teams shutdown that stuff, and He was forced 2 pass, and he skipped passes off the ground in front of players.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That was part of it. Hampton was great, but I think some people who were too young to see Greene in his prime are underestimating just how dominant of a player he was against both the run and pass. He could do everything Hampton did and more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Well, maybe there are a few but I can't come up with them like you just did.

7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Given our current luck with injuries, I have to go with Ernie Stautner.

From wiki:
    He only missed six games during his 14-year career, despite suffering multiple cracked ribs, nose fractures, broken fingers and two broken shoulders.

In the book Passion for Sports by The Sporting News, former teammate Andy Russell shares an anecdote that highlights Stautner's toughness. Russell, then a rookie playing on a team that would eventually finish in fourth place in what would be Stautner's final season, sees the grizzled veteran return to the huddle holding one of his hands in the other. Russell looks down and sees that Stautner has a compound fracture of the thumb; one of his thumb bones is visibly sticking out of his skin. Russell is the only one who notices, and Stautner says only, "What's the play?" Then he plays the rest of the defensive series. When the defense returns to the sideline, Russell watches Stautner, thinking that surely he must seek medical attention now. Instead, Stautner says to someone, "Give me some tape." Then Stautner taped up his hand into a club, and he played the rest of the game.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See. I take Casey over Greene for one reason only .....because of what we run. Greene was great. If You seen all the Greene memorabilia I have You would believe Me. I just think in this current version of what we run Big Snack would Be a bigger help today. IMO. Now over all if asked what player would I want all the time in their Youth, and not just this Year....Greene wins hands down.

11. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    When I think of Jackson, I think Ward and Keith Rivers, or this. Would make my day.

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is a passing league. Two-down nose tackles who can't rush the passer are not as valuable as a dominant defensive tackle who can do it all.

13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    This really is the best answer. I was watching some games come 10 years ago on YouTube and I forgot how mobile he was for most of his career.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am not sure one player would be enough. If we added JoeGreene, JamesHarrison, Lambert, Blount in their prime would the Steelers win the Super Bowl? What if they added Webster, Stallworth, Faneca in their prime would that be enough?

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well after We taught them the new rules so they don't all get thrown out...Yes that should be enough :thumbs_up: