1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We're spoiled

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Nov 29, 2021.

1. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was going to say this as well. I am not mad at all that the Bengals are good.
    Yes!!!!

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Sure, a down year I agree with. My point was we don't need to have numerous down years. That's not necessarily the recipe to success.

As for Tomlin, I've wanted him fired for almost 10 years. I haven't thought much of him in a very long time. It has nothing to do with this year. But I blame him for a lot of our problems this year. He is the head coach after all

3. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    We've had virtually no playoff success since 2010, despite having teams loaded with talent. When a team has the talent we have had, including a QB, there needs to be more playoff success.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    loaded with talent doesn’t mean you have a complete team. Yeah we had ben, ab, and bell, but the defense was mediocre. Then we have a good defense, but a mediocre offense. This year we should have had a decent defense(maybe good, but not great) and a patchwork offense. When we get decimated by injuries y’all are like see see tomlin sucks.

5. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    1) What yr you referring to when you say teams loaded with talent that had no success?? There's only been one of note that I know of and that's 2017.

2) if you're not winning the SB, what difference does it make if you have playoff success or not??

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    number 2 is perfect example of a Steelers fan being spoiled. He/she thinks winning a Super Bowl is easy. Just start mashing buttons and boom Super Bowl winners! But but but Brady!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe it was Tomlin has to fear the loss of his job for him to change.

Wayne had to fear losing his life to succeed in making the jump so he removed the rope.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Good coaching can overcome a lack of talent, or lack of a complete team as you put it. If talent alone won, then the Rams would have won the SB already. That's why coaching matters so much. We had a backup QB playing in bad weather against a horrible run D and we passed the ball 40+ times. How stupid is that?

Our offence seemed to turn a corner a few weeks back. We had committed to and established a running game and we were finding success. Then all of a sudden we went back to passing 40+ times per game, just like we did so often last year. Again, that's just piss poor coaching. We've had mediocre coaching for a very long time now. I don't even care about this year. I didn't have high expectations for this year. I want Tomlin gone due to the last 10 years.

9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    yes. Good coaching overcomes everything. Just like in the karate kid, the mighty ducks etc. oh my god it was raining and they threw the ball. How dare they! Everyone know you only throw the ball when the sun is shining and the temperature is between 54 and 64 degrees.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's what I got out of it.:thumbs_up:

11. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Or...Tomlin is the coach we deserve, but not the one we need right now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Lol. I actually think he was fine when he first came on because of the number of veterans we had, some of whom were also good leaders and helped keep the younger players on point. Players' coaches are typically good in those situations. The flip would be a younger or less mature team, where a disciplinarian is usually a better fit.

• Like Like x 1
  13. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Years of picking between 25 and 30 catches up after a while especially if you miss on first round picks which they have done multiple times only compounds the situation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
    Burrow looks like he can run just fine on his bum knee Bush not so much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
    Watching Jerome Bettis run over linebackers was awesome, what Choo talkin bout Willis

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Different positions. He only has 2 run when he wants.

17. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It was awesome when he did that, but I’ve always preferred well oiled teams that could run and pass with great efficiency. Kinda like we were with the killer B’s, but as we know our defense then was such a huge liability. I’ll never get over the Blake Bortols loss after we scored 40+ points. That should have been our year but as so often with Tomlin we really only played well for 30 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. chris2fer

Nov 7, 2016
    Bortles is a bum. I remember when he was drafted arguing with a UCF fan that Teddy Bridgewater would be a better NFL QB than Bortles I think my point has been proven over that. I’m a huge Louisville fan so I stick up for my guys. Teddy’s early career was plagued by a significant injury but he’s come back ok he was one missed 30 yard field goal from taking the Vikings to the NFC Championship game.Watching Lamar play my Steelers sucks.Love that guy of all the teams that could have drafted him it had to be the Ravens.

19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Is it possible to trade Tomlin, his entire coaching staff and 90% of the players to Detroit for the #1 pick?

I mean if I'm going to be spoiled then I want to go big.

I don't even care who we pick, I just want to have the #1 overall pick for the first time since 1970.

20. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Spoiled maybe ... but, the expectation of this franchise ... is always high. One of the reasons that we don't have a starting qb waiting in the wings behind Ben. Is because, they didn't want to hurt Ben's feeling. Every qb, was a backup and never a potential starters

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    This describes the Fandom of all NFL Teams I feel.

I could even argue it describes the Steelers Fanbase more than any other; Cowboys Fans included. Yes, the expectation is to comepte for a Super Bowl but how AR 2 and Jerry Jones approach the situation is vastly different. Jerry literally puts his team into the Super Bowl discussion with his comments yearly; sometimes even weekly during the season. AR2 does not and realizes the only way to find out is how the team progresses throughout the season.

That small difference has a tremendous impact on fan based expectations. How so?! We, as Steelers Fans, set these expectations for ourselves as that has been the standard set by the actions and accomplishments of the team. Art Rooney II..... does not say much of anything really in terms of expectations for the season as the season itself is tumultuous and fraught with uncertainty. Yes, the desire is to win a Super Bowl but the reality of it is so much more difficult in context.

Cowboys fans, on the other hand, usually drum to whatever beat Jerry Jones offers them on a consistent basis without putting an once of thought into how difficult it is to reach a Super Bowl. As a result, unrealistic expectations are set and therefore doom fan optimism as the season progresses; turning everyone on the roster into villains sans, ironically, the puppet master of it all. For every win in the regular season, no matter how small, Jerry overreacts; the fanbase doubly so. For every loss, no matter how small..... same attitude applies here.

Long story short?! Fans have to temper expectations. Bear in mind that I am just as angry and annoyed this team has not gotten over the hump. There is a laundry list of aspects that have prevented this team from contending from Big Ben's prime after 2010 to now even; self inflicted or otherwise.

That said, to expect the Steelers to compete in a Super Bowl every year today, with the way the modern NFL is setup, is not just unrealistic but silly. Simply getting to the playoffs anymore is ridiculously difficult. Do not believe me?! Go see how the Chiefs are doing now. Recall back when Kelce stated the Chiefs could become a dynasty?!.........

..... oh...... how little they knew.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    And one has to not panic when he's surrounded by 8-10 300-lbers collapsing around him.

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Come on Maddog78...I enjoy sparing with You, but You do know playing Qb from a passer, and playing Inside backer is way different when coming of an ACL.
    I can't say Bush is playing good. He's not, but he was getting better until the injury....so for now I have 2 believe it's the injury....mentally, or physically.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    MT time has run out with the fan base. I personally have never been an MT fan.
    In my opinion he has under achieved.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

I would say no, you can’t expect a Super Bowl every.

Still, it is hard to say we didn’t underachieve during the Killer B years. The skill positions and line we had. It could be decades before we amass all that talent again.