1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We're spoiled

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Nov 29, 2021.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes, I think it was clear I was stressing some points and opinions. Especially after such a deflating loss. So sew me jerk. I’m sure there are far more fans that agree with that post than a few ticky tack hyper-technical spinsters who don’t.

I’m good with what I write in here.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I loved him too and I loved three yards and a cloud of dust football. I also remember all too well what it was like to have a great defense and running game and a game manager at quarterback. Close, but no cigar year after year.

Back on topic. Are steeler fans spoiled? Definitely, I would bet dollars to donuts a fairly large percentage of people here have never experienced a losing season. An even larger group never lived through the dark ages that were 80’s and early 90’s

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    sue* me jerk. Fixed it for ya. I'll just leave that right there.

4. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    This is one of my main issues with Tomlin. Whether or not you believe him to be a good coach, he's a player's coach, and that IMO hasn't mixed well with some of the groups we've had that seemed higher on talent than maturity and direction. Early in his tenure I think he was helped by some of the carryover leaders from Cowher's reign. As they fell away, so did a chunk of their inherent accountability and discipline. When you look at some of the players that did embody these traits over the last five to eight years, most (Miller and Watt, e.g.) seemed more leaders by example than the vocal types that will call out teammates that wander off mentally.

The same applies to Tomlin himself. I respect the Rooneys and the way they run the organization. I also think there can be exception to a general line of thought that doesn't detract from the overall value you stand for. The loyalty they've shown their coaches is remarkable. It's just not an easy thing to do in any business these days, much less as an owner of a sports franchise. But when I hear Tomlin talking about 'embracing our fears', 'not making excuses', etc., he sounds like a person that doesn't truly feel accountable. That's not to say he doesn't care. But there's an urgency that comes with that sense that something is truly unacceptable.

• Like Like x 2
  5. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah, but he never had a franchise quarterback in his prime, so, a strong run game that focused on TOP and a swarming defense built to get to the QB was a sound approach. However, I do believe he mismanaged Kordell Stewart’s abilities instead of gaming more toward his actual strengths, but that’s a whole other discussion. I’m sure he could have stuck around as long as he wanted once Ben got here, but we all know the story of his exit.

I agree we are spoiled and I’m glad for it. But the bumpy 80’s and early 90’s while frustrating under Brister and co. I don’t think we’re as abysmal as people make it out to be. It sucked, we sucked, but we didn’t suck like the Lions, Jags, Jets and the like.

Even I’d rather have Tomlin stick around for more of his blah than suffer how they do/have.

6. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Should I go back and fix your typo or keep ignoring Mr. Technical?

Pot… Kettle calling.

7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Kordell was pretty much screwed by the Steelers. He had multiple offensive coordinators that tried to make him something he was wasn’t as opposed to utilizing his strengths. Stewart was electric with the ball in his hands, but was never going to be a pocket passer.
    Hate to admit it, but harbough chose the right path with Jackson. Had he tried turning him into a pocket passer things would be ugly in Baltimore.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You do know that Stafford has thrown 3 pick 6s in a row ....one in all 3 last games, and has just lost 3 in a row on a team that is so loaded its crazy. Just saying incase You didn't know.

9. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I said a good free agent QB, not a great one....at the very least franchise level. Are you saying you would rather have Ben then Stafford?? It's not even close imo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    HOF Coach Bill Cowher !

Cowher !

Not Cower !

Cow(h)er

:drinks:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Browns let Mayfield walk.
    Steelers sign him FA and he gets a fresh start. Then he goes all Drew Brees for 10 years.

Face it this Division is going to be tough as hell. Thats good puts the Steelers Org. on notice.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes I am. What has Stafford done to make you say differently...besides being younger. Also they gave up 2 first round picks, and a 3rd plus all that money for a guy that has never won a playoff game. Who do you blame their losses on in the Rams if not Stafford... The rest of that Pro Bowl loaded team???

13. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020

I mean, you're sure you wanna go there??? Guess which one is which??

Screenshot_20211130-213519_Firefox.jpg

In terms of QBR rating Ben isnt even in the picture, but if you must know its 43.1

Screenshot_20211130-214041_Chrome.jpg

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So it's OK for a team 2 give up 2 first round draft picks , and a 3rd plus a huge pay day for a Guy for stats....not more wins, but stats.
    Also You didn't show the points He single handedly gave 2 the other team. 1st Qb since the 1980s 2 throw a pick 6 in three games in a row. All three games they lost for the Rams. Sorry I don't see the Love.
    This is a team that just went 2 a SB a little while back, has traded all their picks away, has a Pro Bowl loaded team, and traded again 2 first rounds, and a 3rd for a Qb....if that's not SB , or Bust I don't know what Is. Yet they just got better stats. JMO:shrug:

15. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I'm not sure if its any worse then being in the hole some 44 million to a QB that's clearly over the hill and nothing more then a game manager at this point. The chances of the Rams winning the SB (as with any other NFL team) is still exponentially better with Stafford then it is with Ben. At the end of the day numbers dont lie on this one. Ask any Steelers fan....poll it if you have to....guaranteed to be over 90% willing to take the chance with Stafford ...if Ben is the alternative.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well then all of You are Dumb. LoL.
    J/K.
    Each 2 Their Own, but seriously the way the team is playing I think some would vote for Vinnie,( or was it Vinny) Testaverde over Ben right now...LoL..Don't make it right. LoL :thumbs_up:

17. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I know this is a taboo topic...but personal stuff aside regardless of how you feel about him...do you think Kaepernick was a NFL starter in his last season in the NFL???

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yes. Just not a great starter. Though because of the season before his last was so Bad it made his last not look as good, and if You put all of his wins, and losses together with stats even worse. So yes ,but not a great one.

19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Not sure I get the Dark Knight Rises reference to Tomlin. Lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Well I feel the same way. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didnt look up his stats b4 answering because it would have destroyed your argument concerning Ben if you had said no. They had similar numbers with Kap having 16 TDS 4 INTs in 12 games started, and almost 500 yards rushing, but a 49.3 QBR with just under .60 completion perc. If people dont believe Kap was a starter then theres no way in the world they could believe Ben is one now. Just saying.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I did look up His year before His last year stats.
    I knew his last year stats.
    You also have 2 figure that in also, and Wins and Loses. I have always said he was a starter, but that like a few others you would have 2 change Your offence for him....so was He good enough 2 do that??? :shrug:
    Now put last Years production from Ben and this years. Can't everything be in a void.
    Hell I could take Cam, or Matt Ryan's one year, and they would look like Super Stars instead of the Average Qbs with one lucky year they really are.

22. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Well if they were gonna hire Matt Canada as their OC then they should have strongly considered it...but I understand how politics work.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Yeah, I guess I was a little less than clear there. I was basically alluding to the idea that while the Rooney's loyalty to coaches is admirable, it might also indirectly foster some complacency. I think Tomlin wants the team to do well as much as anybody else, but I'm also inclined to believe that after 15 years anybody can settle into a routine, become a little blind to problems right in front of them, lose a bit of the edge. IMO, Tomlin does well with acknowledging issues with the team, and readily takes responsibility for them, but at times seems too relaxed with having them, and in the amount of time they linger.

There's a drive and hunger you see in players and coaches looking to prove themselves. Knowing the jersey isn't promised to them tomorrow. Fearing they'll let themselves down, their teammates, their fans. It drives them to fight harder, push longer, and not leave anything behind today for fear it may be lost tomorrow. The drive and heart has been questioned in some of the players here lately, and IMO, that shouldn't ever be happening. The coach should be leading with it for a lot of reasons right now.

Maybe fear needs to find this group again.

• Like Like x 1
  24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Hate to break it to you, but if you hire the wrong person, continuing to employ him isn't the key to success. Or even if he was once upon a time the right hire, sometimes change needs to be made. Lots of pro sports teams have replaced a coach and found more success after.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    We’ve been winning for 17 freaking years. Y’all act like this is Madden and winning a super bowl is easy. Just force every draft pick through and you’ll have superstars backing up superstars with superstars sitting on the practice squad. Yes! Steeler fans a spoiled.