1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin would dominate as a college coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    His strongest trait is building relationships with players. He would be a monster recruiter.

Can you imagine him as the head coach of a place like Notre Dame or Oklahoma?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Agreed. His strengths would be best in college.

All the proof you need in the pros is he was a DB coach. We've drafted and developed one quality corner in his whole tenure of 14 years. Keenan Lewis who partially left because he didn't like Tomlin. Then he thought he was pulling an AB with Cortez Allen and handed him 25 million to start 7 games.

3. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He could recruit but he can't coach worth a ****. His luster will wear off within 4 years as people figure out his players aren't developing

4. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    That's the beauty of college...players often only stay 2-3 years before they go pro. So that "failure to develop" over 4 years problem goes away.

5. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    People notice within a couple years that players aren't developing. Once you have 3-4 classes showing minimal development, people start calling for heads to roll, the HC first.

This is why Tomlin will have to be fired or retire, his job security in the PFT is something he'd never get anywhere else

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I think Tomlin's contract goes through 2022. He'll be the HC of the Steelers next season regardless how we finish. I do believe it will be his last season in Pittsburgh. Really can't see him coaching in the NCAA but sure as hell can see him as another talking head on NFL Network.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don’t recall that. Do you have a link?

Didn’t he come back and try out for the Steelers as a free agent?

8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I knew somebody who went to HS with him. He told me way before he left that he was going to. Obviously the main reason was he wanted to play for the hometown team but he also said he didn't like Tomlin.