1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you think the house of cards started to crumble?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Nov 28, 2021.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Aside of Bell and his fiasco, then AB and his malignant maneuvers, when do you feel this whole thing started to crumble?

I honestly think that Mike Munchak leaving was a major pillar that weakened the foundation of everything. I of course can’t prove it now, but I really hated it at the time and felt the organization should have thrown stupid money at him to keep him in town. The moment he got here everything was on a major upswing and then an equal and opposite reaction happened on his departure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    When players dictated the game and the coach didn't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The Tebow loss. Steelers never recovered from that. Everyone in the sports media and pollyanna fans can brag about Tomlin....no losing seasons, blah, blah, blah. But it is obvious. Totally obvious. Obviously.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    The situation with Blount was probably the first of the cracks. Up until that point the rumors were most players wanted to play for the Rodney's. It laid the foundation for Harrison, Bell and ABs form of departure. And the handling of the cap which led to the loss of players like Nelson and that DL that went to the Eagles.

5. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    April 13 2017

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Playoff loss to Jaguars.

Edit: actually the October 5 interception game before the Playoff loss.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben lost his comeback magic vs Green Bay the year before and never recovered

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Pa Yankee

Pa Yankee Member

Jan 2, 2012
    When a solid offensive line was never addressed during any point in the tomlin era.

When the “all about me” tomlin child culture of football took over what was left of the cowher era players.

he really lost me when he hired his buddy Michael Vick.

Lost me when he was starting Jarvis Jones and bud dupree over James Harrison

I said it from the beginning that when tomlin was hired we would never get to another super bowl after cowhers players and staff were gone and here we are. Ben can no longer carry tomlin or the team. It’s clear to see that the players do not have respect for the coaching staff nor the drive to excel. See what belicheat gets out of his players. Tomlin never could nor would he draft those guys. He looks for athletes and not smart football players, why you end up with devin bush, Jarvis Jones..etc.

Look at interviews of Cowher era players speaking about Lebeau or Cowher vs Tomlin.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    They don’t call him head cheerleader for nothing! Terry Bradshaw couldn’t have been more correct with that call all these years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It started the crumble the day Tomlin was hired. It just took a while before it started to become obvious. Veteran players from the Cowher years held it together for a while. As they left the team, a new culture took hold and it's the one we have now. A coach who is friends with the players and lets them do whatever they want. There's no accountability on this team, either on or off the field.

Has nobody noticed that the Steelers have never had a good Oline since Tomlin was hired, except when Munch was here. As soon as he left, our Oline went to **** again. We've literally always had a horrible Oline since Tomlin was hired. The guy has no idea how to coach a team, none at all.

What is it that Tomlin does well? Someone point it out to me because I can't figure it out.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Pa Yankee

Pa Yankee Member

Jan 2, 2012
    never had a losing season blah blah blah

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Not sure it was really a starting point, but certainly an inflection point. The Shazier injury.

Led to a lot of things that overall haven't turned out too well.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Jaguars playoff game. Was the beginning of the end and the day I knew we would never make another SB under coach cliche

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. WNYFAN

WNYFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2020
    Thanksgiving 2013

15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    It would only let me put in one " winner "...This post needs about 5!

16. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The team got expensive while it grew old and slow and management hasn't been proactive. I felt it should have been blown up this past offseason.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    January 22, 2007

18. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    When Tomlin was hired.

19. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Wow, some of you guys are ruthless saying 2007 when Tomlin was hired. The Rooneys pretty much had to hire a minority coach because of the Rooney Rule. One has to be impressed that the Steelers have managed to not have a losing season, yet frustrated for not reaching a Super Bowl in the last 11 years. Tomlin screwed up when he talked about playing New England before the game with Jacksonville. Since then his popcorn eating, pompom waving coaching style has been exposed.

It is time for Tomlin to man up. The problems are Tomlin is not an Xs and Os guy, the QB is 39 and on the way out, the defense has no depth, and the o-line has more problems than George Constanza on Festivus Day. Have you ever seen spit drooling from Tomlin? Maybe the the time he almost tackled Jacoby Jones, but that's about it.

20. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah, I don’t think they HAD to hire a minority that year. Cower was phoning it in and a few teams were looking at Tomlin and he was the hottest candidate that year by far. He clearly did enough to win with Cowers players, a franchise QB and still stout defense.

But yeah, as someone else said, I believe the “playing down to bad teams” thing started the year we got beat by Tebow and all the cracks started to show up quite clearly then. Lots of exposed crevasses every year since and no fixing of any of those fissures.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah. They didn't learn their lesson from the 80's.

22. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Same thought.

23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Super Bowl XLV was when it all came apart. This is the first time we saw a complacent Tomlin. This is when the culture began to change.

The Steelers have had other moments of over confidence over the years. But for the most part, the Steelers relished in that, " We are the underdog. Nobody believes in us. Lets prove the world wrong.", mentality.

XLV was the first time under Tomlin that we saw an overconfident, arrogant, Steeler team. It has been that way ever since.

24. stangboy06

stangboy06 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Haven’t been near a super bowl in 13 years

• Like Like x 1
  25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    For hiring a supposed defensive secondary expert for a HC, steelers have had some really bad ones. When was the last time that the defensive secondary was a strength for the steelers? Fraud HC.

• Like Like x 1