1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mastodon New Album Out 2 Day

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by S.T.D, Oct 29, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is one of the songs off the New album for any who care.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Their ok, im not really a fan

• Like Like x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Blah.
    LoL.
    My Favorite Band since 2005.

• Like Like x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Holy overproduced batman

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Blah. It's a Finished product. Every album 2 day is over produced.
    That's why when I play I do no editing.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I listened to most of the album on Apple Music. I really want to like Mastodon. I love metal and progressive metal, and I like the idea of a progressive metal band w/o keyboards, but I just can’t get past the vocals. I don’t like 2 of the 3 singers, and the vocals are over processed to the hilt. I have Blood Mountain, and I think that sounds better than anything I’ve heard from them since.

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I dig it. Though Crack The Skye is still My favorite album By them. Their Vocals are great live. I've seen them 3 times.

8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Always loved Bedazzled Fingernails.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020
    Blood and Thunder

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ghost of Karelia, Sleeping Giants, Seabeast, Blade Catcher, Siberia Divide and The Last Baron. Those are all Awesome freaking tunes 2 Me.

11. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    I cant get too into their new stuff, I tried on this one. They peaked with Blood Mountain to me. Stiil, very talented dudes, no doubt.

I AM exited to hear the Brett Hinds/Matt Pike side project, however. Thats two insane shredders right there.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See Blood Mountain was when they started 2 get more complex, and Cooler arrangements from there on Each album upgraded in these things. (Except for Once More Around the Sun they slid back a bit here)
    Everything Blood Mountain back was simpler the farther back You go. They were very normal everyday Metal then. I mean they had a couple songs a piece on the earlier stuff, but it wasn't until Blood Mountain, and Beyond that most of the the songs were more complex, and far from basic...except again for Once More Around the Sun

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    I mean, its all subjective. More complex arrangements don't necessarily make a song better.

But Ill take their slow, heavy, sludgy riffs over the new proggy alt rock they're playing now. All day.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What You like is subjective. That they are playing more complex tunes is not subjective. It's fact. Well except for One More Around the Sun album.
    I'm not saying what You should like, or not I'm telling You what is more complicated, more complex. Chill.:thumbs_up:
    Simpler stuff had always been more popular. It's cool:thumbs_up:.
    Otherwise Rap, and 5 finger death punch would have never caught on.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    We're good! That last message reads harsher than i meant it to. Sorry.

We like what we like, I get that. And I agree that they are playing more complex tunes than they were, not arguing that. In Mastodons case more complex doesn't mean better songs (just my opinion). They sacrificed the heaviness. But I respect that bands dont want to keep making the same records.

I guess I just look at many more factors, or criteria than how hard or simple music is to play, to know if i love it...probably because Im not really a musician. I'm straight up right brain.

For example, I would put both King Crimson and the Misfits in my top 25, and they are NOTHING alike musically, skill set wise, etc. But both bands wrote amazing, original music for their time. There are MANY reasons as to why a band in the 90's like Nirvana was bigger than Joe Satriani, hahahah, even though Joe Satriani is a better guitar player. Thats the art of songwriting.

Also, i could care less as to what's popular. About 75% of what I listen to and love is pretty underground. I listen to a lot of stuff you probably wouldn't like. And thats ok. :thumbs_up: We're not sheep. I havent listened to the radio in about 8 years. I fiend to hear something/anything original. Thats really my #1 criteria. But if its not gonna be original, give me some RIFFS! Riffs man.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's Cool Man. :thumbs_up: I agree You like what You like.
    I use 2 Be all about the riff, but the longer I play music the farther I get from some things. Now this is unpopular, but the only Nirvana songs I liked....I found out later They didn't write...they were remakes. LoL. You are correct in playing music kind of ruins things. For instance....If I can listen 2 a song one time...without sheet music... figure out ,and play what they are playing perfectly....it's hard for me 2 like it now. Now if I liked it before I could do that...it's safe...kind of Grandfathered in so 2 speak. LoL. Like Sabbath, Clutch, Them Crooked Vultures, Queens of The Stone Age for example...I don't even try 2 learn because I don't want 2 ruin it for Myself. LoL.

• Like Like x 1
  17. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    I was never the hugest Nirvana fan either. Just using them as an example of a popular rock band. I always go back and fourth on them. I always felt like they kind of ripped off the Melvins a little. At the end of the day I just look at them as a solid band overall who were good songwriters, and who got more mainstream than they should have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ah....The Melvins:thumbs_up:
    Speaking of the Melvins Have You ever heard Mastodons version of The Bit by the Melvins???
    LoL.

• Like Like x 1
  19. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    Yea, they did a good job. Loooove the Melvins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Me2:thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    Cranking HAT and Senile Animal this fine morning.

I hope they bring the Big Business lineup back soon. Those 2 drummers crushed live.

• Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    One of the few bands I like that I haven't seen live.

23. kakhatesmortgages66

Apr 16, 2020
    One of my favorites live. Especially lately.

• Like Like x 1
  24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Different style, but anyone listen to White Chapel?

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have ,but The only songs that comes 2mind are Hickory Creek,and I Dementia. I haven't listened 2 them in awhile. Aren't they out of Tennessee???