1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Proud of the Steelers & Proud of the Fans

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Spock, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    You know, I'm probably going to take a beating for this, but I believe it needs to be said.

First and foremost, I believe Steelers fans on this board and Steeler fans in general are among the most intelligent, passionate and involved in all of professional sports. I am proud to count myself among these ranks. I've bled black and gold for nearly sixty years ( I am 66). For the most part, the criticisms of the coaching staff, players and play calls is legitimate. That is a testament to the intelligence of the Steeler fans. Steeler fans know football and their criticisms are usually valid. Yes there are the occasional asinine comments from disappointed passionate fans. But these comments are minor compared to the majority of the comments made by intelligent, well informed and passionate fans. For these reasons, there is no other sports organization I'd rather root for as a fan base member. I have been one of those quick to judgement fans for much of my life, but I have learned to temper my responses with age.

This brings me to my second point.

I believe most of us (if we are being honest) believed the Steelers would not likely make the playoffs this year or would not go far in the playoffs if they did somehow squeak in. I have been more hopeful than most this year with regards to that, but even with my black and gold glasses didn't envision the Steelers as being relevant to the Lombardi trophy this year. I was ready to turn the game off after SD scored at the 7:00 minute mark to take a fourteen point lead. My wife made me watch the rest of the game and I am now glad that she did. I am sooo PROUD of the Steeler football team for their performance last night. They never quit. They never gave up. Yes you can point to few bone head plays and a few head scratcher play calls, but there is no valid criticism of the grit, courage, physical sacrifice, or determination demonstrated last night by the Steeler football team for all the world to see. I lived through the sixties when I became a Steeler fanatic for those characteristics of a team with a perpetual loosing record. I lived through the eighties cheering my never say die loosing football team. Other teams usually won, but they knew they played in a tough and physical game. And as Jack Lambert would say, they knew that game was against the Pittsburgh Steelers. I am as disappointed as the next fan regarding the loss last night. However I have never been more proud of the Pittsburgh Steeler football team than I am right now. Just as the Steelers proved last night, I will never say die to my loyalty to the Steelers and will bleed black and gold until I die!

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Coolhandluke23

Coolhandluke23 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2021
    You make some really good points. I believe the steelers can make it to playoffs. There are no dominate teams this year. I think we can beat any team. If Ben plays like he did vs the chargers and the defense gets healthy I honestly think we can beat anybody. One game at a time!

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Very Nice post. :thumbs_up:
    I still believe We at least make the playoffs. I will believe it up until We can't.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Good post Spock! I was there last night for my nephews 1st Steeler game. I told the family I’m going pee and I’m leaving see yinz after. I decided to return and that’s when the magic was happening. It was beautifully chaotic watching the chargers fans collectively melt! Fights starting old chargers fans falling out (not good either way I understand) steeler fans running amok and the vibe was just so intense hahahahaha... my wife reminded me that after all these years, this crazy ass teams tendencies were what I told her made us endear to them... what a moment(s) in the 4th! Definitely got our money’s worth minus the W.

I was glad to be a part of it and proud of the grit displayed albeit the lousy outcome.
    I remember the lean years as well but always loved the team and the fight and will continue to not give up on em just with age the tolerance for BS becomes non existent hahahahaha

anyhow last night was a good reminder of why I love the team and won’t give up regardless or leave early and just enjoy.
    I did have to leave the Green Bay game this year early because some folk’s lineage deserve to prosper as well hahahahahaha I’m still hot from those asses! Oh well one less thing on the record hahahahahaha

GO STEELERS!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Here's the thing. Even if we make the playoffs, it's a million miles to the SB.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Why would you think you'd take a beating for posting this? Have you seen Benny's posts?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So it will be for all but 2. So should We not even try???
    Nobody...Not one team is guaranteed 2 make the SB. So should everyone give up???
    Hell No. You know this. Your just down from the loss. :thumbs_up:

8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Another round of juice boxes and oreos for everyone. Everyone's a winner just for showing up and trying real hard.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Good post and I do applaud the effort. But seeing the same flaws year after year gets old.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    We are now relegated to being one of those teams that can pray for a fluke season to maybe win a playoff game. Winning the SB would be like winning the lottery... it aint happening. It's been a long time since having a team that had almost no chance of winning a SB before the season even started. We are now that team and really if we were honest we've been that team for a long time. I used to be angry about flirting with the playoffs and losing week 1 with a HOF QB .... but now that would be a dream finish.... Ben's career was largely wasted over the past 10 years and here we are... being happy with 8 or 9 wins.

Steeler fans are like packer fans or that really great HS athlete now in their 30's and 40's.... clinging to the past and remembering it like it was yesterday. We have not been a SB contender for over a decade. But it's not the head coaches fault! lmfao. It's Ben's fault or just bad luck. Next year Tomlin will have us right back here fighting to win 8 or 9 games wondering what went wrong. 10+ years of post season failure is not a fluke or bad luck. It's a trend that I hope the owners recognize soon as this franchise is in need of a culture change at top.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Very nice post (love the lake side home in your avatar - is that yours?). I have a few years on you and growing up in the Burgh with my Dad a season ticket holder since after WWII gave me a very early intro to what it means to be a bloodline Steeler fan. You described it all perfectly and yes, with age comes a more measured response and reflection on wins and losses. My Dad would have really enjoyed Sunday's game because after sitting through so many losing seasons his only request was that the game be entertaining and that the team not give up no matter how dire. This is not a great nor at times even a good Steelers team, but that doesn't detract from having the privilege to watch them week in and week out and proudly sporting my Steeler gear (especially the big old gaudy jacket showing 6 SB victories a huge Steeler logo on the back). And to that other guy, keep handing out the free juice boxes and cookies, seems to be a very appropriate role in life for you to graduate to.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Thanks for the post. Yes that is my house by the lake. I have been building it for 18 years. I do the work and afford $100.00 of lumber every couple of weeks. Retired now from teaching and I am now working on finishing the window casings and trim.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Steel Hog,
    Thanks for the reply. I am confident that my post accurately reflects my sentiments as well as the sentiments of many life long die hard Steeler fans. The main concern I had was the timing. Pride and a loss usually don't go together. We used to say in the rescue squad that you can't laugh when there is blood. You have to wait until there is a scar and then you can look for the humor in a situation.