1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This needs to be dicussed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 4EvrH8O'donnel, Nov 4, 2012.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And to add to the post above ,,it is also good to run the plays you practice from time to time....Players will stop working hard on trick plays if they feel they will never be run in the game....The ST'S where having a great night so it seemed like a good time to run a trick play that fit the Situation.....

Again I don't fault the Staff for the call even though I prefer the Redman power call.....Had we kicked the FG and lost the game then I would have been really upset....

2. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I thought it was gutsy and showed faith in the defense to pick up Tomlin or whomever made the call in the end. The psychological effects don't show, except that the defense stepped up to the challenge. While it may have seemed stupid in hindsight because it did not work, I think that the effects of the play will be felt for several weeks.

3. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Now that it has been discussed. What do you think you are going to do about it.

4. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

I'm gonna stuff it in my memory bank along with my 14 million other plays that are up there and when I see the situation again I will be screaming to run the ball right up the gut with the 5.4 yard average guy and an OL that is finally performing well enough to get those tough yards.
    I was yelling for them to go for it from the get go as the GMen were not stopping the run all game long but once they lined up for the FG I was ok with that too since it would have tied the game up.
    When they got cute I just had to sit there and shake my head at another bone headed decision.
    Thank god they won or else it would be a very long week going into the next game.

5. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My wife yelled the same thing. "IF YOU'RE GONNA RISK LOSING THE BALL ON 4TH, THEN LET BEN MAKE THE PLAY, NOT THE KICKER."

6. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I hated the play myself (simply because it didn't work) but I wouldn't cal it stupid. If we line up and try and run the ball in EVERYONE knows it's coming. If we line up to kick the FG it wouldn't be too far fetched to assume (yes I know what that word means :roll: ) that EVERYONE knows we are going to kick the ball. There was a good chance we fool them and the play works. TBH it was executed correctly, it just so happens the giants had a man there to make the play. It kinda looked to me that Miller missed a blocking assignment there, :shrug: but i'd have to see the replay more.

Now personally I would have went with a run there. But if that play works, holly hell, Tomlin would have been hailed a genius by most here. ;-)

7. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It was a gutsy call but there was no blockers on that side but maybe Heath.

8. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, all i saw was Heath too and i'm thinking he was suppose to make a chip block before moving to the next guy and he missed it. But i'm not too sure how effective a chip block would have been regardless so....... :shrug:

9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Yep....the flip from Butler was amazing lol...I have no idea how he even got it to Suisham.

10. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    years ago i remember kris brown running it in for a touchdown from around the thirty on the same play only to the left. i will say i understand not going for it when they had just done that in the same game(everyone now expects the play and the defense will want to make amends especially on the goal line). even understand using some sort of trick play or fake, but that was terrible. suisham never needs to be running with the ball for any reason.

11. CANTON STEEL

Oct 17, 2011
    Please don't EVER mention him again. Please!! :praying: That's one guy I could not stand to have on the roster! :frustrated:

12. turkeysniper

turkeysniper Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    sorry, that game was painful to watch

13. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We were a house divided on running redman or kick and tie....but even if you do fake or when you fake let's throw the damn ball.

14. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIYUqH313GA
    [youtube:16sye6n7]TIYUqH313GA[/youtube:16sye6n7]

It was supposed to look like this
    I would have kicked a FG too,but the resulting defensive stand gave them the field position needed to get the TD

15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It's funny my wife said they should go for it. I said no just kick it and tie it. Then I said well maybe the will try the fake field goal. Then they tried the fake, I would have had Suisham try to throw it to a TE for a touchdown, he isn't much of a runner. LOL, at least it didn't cost them.

16. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I sent a text message to three other Steelers fans. And I was saying the same thing. The Giants D was all but helpless against Redman. A 1 yd run was a guaranteed 1st down. *sigh*

17. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think a number of factors were at play, one was the Giants weren't doing much offensively and the other thing was on every kick off the Giants were at the 30 yard line and there looked to be enough holes that 1 more missed tackle could have led to a big run back possibly a special teams TD. I didn't like the call but when you think about all the tangibles it wasn't too bad and that is because it worked like it was supposed to.

18. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yes, every coach makes bad decisions. But I agree that all people seem to notice are Tomlin's bad decisions.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    very dumb call. at a very bad time. we had the momentum. we didn't need the trickeration at the time. we were gouging the defense with will johnson leading the way. he is a beast. (good find MT.) that was working everytime we ran it. no way we shouldn't have gone for the first, and right after the measurement. he took that momentum and gave it back to them. thankfully our D was playing very good. :cool:

20. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

I thought we had just lost the game. Take the 3 and tie it up. I just had a feeling that they would walk down the field and eat up the clock. Major props to the D for getting a 3 and out and getting the ball back. :rawk:

21. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Like others on the site, I watched that fake in a bit of disbelief given the game situation. Not like situational play-calling has ever been a real strong suit, but a 22 yard-field goal rarely gets blocked and there is too much congestion near the goal line as somebody else said. I like the fact that we will take risks from time to time even if they don't work out, but I thought the timing would have been bad, even if it had been successful (of course, had it been successful, I'd have still been waving my terrible towel in triumph).

So, to me....there's only one way to erase this play from the minds of Steeler Nation. Next time we're down close like that in a 4th down, we line up to go for it, snap back to Ben and have him drop kick it through the uprights. The defense would NEVER see that one coming!!!!!

BRING ON THE CHEFS (great googly-moogly)....

22. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I was listening to Josh Miller on 93.7 The Fan. Josh seems to think the fake was simply called at the wrong spot on the field. According to him, teams generally concede short field goal attempts like the one the Steeler lined up for. The ends look for the fake, rather than attempt to block a kick that everyone assumes the kicker will make. Makes sense.