1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"Disappointing" Chase

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Nov 17, 2021.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey rel:

I like your analysis: "I feel like he plays small." and "He doesn’t high point like you think he would for his size."

Yes and Yes!

He has the physical stature to be dominant. The man is shredded, cut-up and looks very strong. He is not maximizing his physical make-up to dominate though IMO. I know he is a second-year player and I honestly look at the glass as half-full for him. However, from what he did last season I though there would be a continuation. Still not too late. However, we need him to really step it up going down the stretch here. Come on Chase!

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Shaner.

True as to your post. Again, is this in part because of Ben and not feeling confident in the Offensive Line to let the play downfield develop or does Ben really not have the time to let the play downfield develop. I have not done enough data analysis to make a well-informed decision here. From what I have seen, and read, Ben gets the ball out very quickly. Again, I think it is due (in part) to him not feeling comfortable/confident with the O-Line holding "The Wall" for him to let the longer plays develop.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SteelersFanCanada.

The middle of the field play like to Gentry vs. Seattle a few weeks ago is perfect for Claypool. I remember seeing "That Play" numerous times over the years with Ben + Heath. I was excited to see it, FINALLY! That was a great drive with the next play to Chase who fought his way close to the goal line and then they finished it up. Not the way I would have liked but they got it done. Wait, wasn't that juggling catch by Freiermuth?

Anyway, that throw down the seam to Chase and our Tight Ends would be very ideal going forward.

4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steelers5859.

Well, yes that is my biggest gripe here. The "combated catches". With his size, strength and speed he should be squashing these defensive backs and safeties like gnats. It is a clear-case, again, of "underachieving" IMO. Chase can be a Super Star in this league. I really thought we were going to see a strong "Chapter #2" from him after his rookie season. Not so far but he can start right here, right now in the next game. The man has the tools and the physical attributes to make it happen. Now, he has to put it altogether and develop a mind-set of "Dominance".

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Ender.

Yes, he would be brutal in the Slot. We would have various options on how to use him there. He certainly would be a load to try a cover from that position.

6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Your right about that, but somehow I saw JuJu and AB video's doing offseason workouts, and then seen improvement. Seen non of Chase and didn't see improvement. :shrug:

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think they need a Mike Wallace type of WR to go along with DJ, and Claypool.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    I think he is injury prone and that is his mind set right now. A good management coach would have a sit down talk with him if in fact that is his issue. He will be fine if and when that type of thinking stops.

9. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    I would trade him in the off season, maybe he can get us a 3rd rd. pick. Lots of dead weight on this team. I really just want to clean house.

10. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I've noticed this as well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I guess You are the only one, or people are tired of hearing Me say it.:shrug:

12. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    First time I've seen it. I just remember thinking after one of his catches recently how he was reminding me of Plaxico, who used to make a habit of jumping/diving for balls that didn't necessarily require it. Gives up the YAC.

Edit: in honor of this being a Steel Winds thread, I should close properly:

THOR Not The East Side Kid

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's exactly correct. Plaxico did that also.

14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    You say these things assuming Metcalfe would have been as productive with Roethlisberger and this offense as he is with Wilson and Seattle's offense. I firmly believe this offense would be just as impotent with him as it is with Claypool. Not only that, this alternate universe some of you people live in is drivel. Do I wish the Steelers had drafted Marino way back when? Hell yeah. But, I know I didn't waste my free time grinding on it. It is what it is. You can't prove that he would have made a more positive impact here any more than I can prove he wouldn't have. In other words, your postulating that they should have picked him is shouting at the clouds simply because they didn't.

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He didn't miss any games last season due to injury.

16. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Not one of the Steelers QB's has proven the ability to throw the ball down the field accurately and consistently this season.

Not sure why people are blaming the WRs for the consistency that is lacking at the QB position?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    The receivers besides DJ get little to no separation. These receivers are not as good as people want to believe, even though I agree the QBs suck as well.

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Incase nobody Has been paying attention...Metcalf has been doing a lot of complaining in Seattle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well 2 Me this is about Claypool. Anyone that's watched the games has 2 wonder....Why is He the only person on the field that when the ball is thrown at has 2 turn around and Jump 2 make a catch.....DJ doesn't, Muth doesn't, JuJu didn't, hell Harris doesn't, but Claypool does. I know everyone has 2 some times or another, but why is it Claypools is like that 90% of his catches...no matter where on the field??? I use 2 see the same from E. Sanders, and Plaxico. They just don't judge the ball well.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  21. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020
    Dwayne Woodruff

• Like Like x 1
  22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maybe we are making too much out of Chase? He was a second round pick, but he was pretty raw and was drafted that high on potential rather than output.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    The passes to him outside the numbers are widely inconsistent.

Either the passes aren't placed in a catchable spot or Chase makes a move that leaves him no room to catch a ball inbounds.

It seems like luck when he does actually make catches down field.

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Chase isn't a burner, he is more of a possession receiver or TE.

Kinda reminds me of a poor man's Julio Jones.

We do need a deep burner to take the top off the coverage, but maybe Ben just doesn't have that type of arm anymore? If that is the case a dominant running game would be key, to suck the defense up, but our line is terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I definitely think there's some truth to this. While IMO too much was made of Ben's return in terms of setting the team back years, etc., I do think one of the areas it negatively impacted was Claypool's maturation. The combination of Ben's declining arm strength and lack of mobility, young and inexperienced o-line, and scheme do not favor a high volume of looks in Claypool's direction, stunting his development.

• Like Like x 1