1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers roster depth

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 17, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The reason I was optimistic at the beginning of the season was they seemed to have depth at certain positions. At OLB they had Ingram backing up Watt, and Highsmith, at DL they would've had a 6 man rotation, now Alalu, Davis, Tuitt all are out. At WR they had a good top four guys, now JuJu is out and Ray Ray is being featured :facepalm:. That turd Ingram screwed up the Steelers depth at OLB by wanting out, and he has two tackles with the Chiefs :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Seems to be a pattern under the Tomlin regime. Players wanting to play elsewhere. Happened to Cowher too from 98-00.... but when the Steelers moved into Heinz Field, things changed for the better.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Two things you can be assured will happen, death and no NFL team will ever use same 22 starters for the entire season.

4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They certainly have had a bad run, starting with all those weird groin injuries earlier in the year and now all these latest injuries. Roster depth is being tested to the limit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have wondered for years if the Strength and conditioning coach
    is actually doing his job? Getting his players to buy into his system?
    Or have tried anything different?

• Like Like x 2
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They have had a ridiculous number of soft tissue injuries this year but I dont remember it being a problem last year in fairness. It’s probably just bad luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Im not sure that Ray Ray is being made a focal point or if he is just the guy opposing teams are leaving open. Im leaning towards the latter becuase I don't want to think the former is actually a plan

8. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Yeah, what a turd, wanting out when the team cut his snaps just before the deadline and shopped him.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Every fan should have known prior to the season the Steelers had depth issues, mostly because of the decrease in the salary cap and all the jockeying they had to do to get under the cap. Add to the cap issue that the organization has not hit on several draft picks. Plus the team had the misfortune of the Tuitt situation, Bush not being the same player after his injury, losing Alualu, JuJu, the decline and departure of DeCastro, rebuilding the o-line on the fly, and critical mistakes that cost a win. Yet somehow, someway, they are 5-3-1.

Do I have confidence that the Steelers will finish strong? Heck no. Since the Jacksonville playoff loss, the Steelers are 3-12 finishing out the last three seasons. With the upcoming schedule, I could realistically see an 8 game losing streak starting this week. And I could see Tomlin finding three wins to finish 8-8-1.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The trend is the Steelers being foolish enough to capitulate in those situations. Blount, Brown, Harrison, and Ingram are all examples. These decisions have come back to hurt the Steelers on the field every time.

Blount was the worst. They rewarded him for walking out on the team in 2014, then they were signing guys off the street to play running back in the playoffs because Bell was injured. Blount ran for 148 yards and three touchdowns in a playoff victory over the Colts that season, but he did it for the Patriots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This didn't happen to Cowher. FA happened to Cowher.The steelers weren't willing to pay big bucks back then. We would develop them and make them star material and they would go after the big check. Players and coaches alike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I was referring to the previous ten years, Since camp cupcake.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’ve noticed that it is league wide. Calf, quad, groins, seems everyone is nursing something.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't know what you're talking about, Ingram asked out that's why they shopped him.

15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Nope. I posted the timelines of the articles a couple weeks ago. It was reported that they took calls - if you believe they were unsolicited, I have a bridge to sell you. Only after that, and losing almost all his PT, did he ask to be traded.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    You think all the timelines were reported exactly as things happened in actuality? And his retort to hearing he might be traded, was to ask he be traded?

I think I've got a bridge to sell you, my friend.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    What's funny is the reason I didn't have optimism in this season was I did not feel there was enough depth on this team. Yes, the DL seemed okay they were thin at ILB and while people think Ingram was great depth at OLB he had 1 good game and did nothing with his other snaps. CB worried me as they are all young and was hit and miss and I couldn't tell you who they had a S behind Edmunds and Fitz.

Offense was also bad. Nothing reliable behind Ben. Nothing behind Harris. The OLine has 2 x Rookies starting which tells you all you need to know. WR, while seems like there is depth on paper, none of those guys are a true #1, it's a bunch of 2, 3 and 4 receivers.

For this team to succeed this year they had to stay healthy at most key positions which never happens in the NFL.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

If the Steelers have a bad case of having these soft tissue injuries for some time, the likes of Baltimore, San Francisco, Dallas (a team known for sparing no expense towards state of the art health care), Denver, both New York teams (that stupid field needs to be tossed) and even the likes of Arizona all would like to have a word. I do agree that the soft tissue injuries are definitely a problem for the Steelers but not even close to what the team had to deal with 2020. That year was a disaster. As I said that year;

"SOFT TISSUE INJUIRES INBOUND!!"

2021 is actually a more forgiving year than 2020... but still, injuries to key players are still hard to swallow overall. That said, hopefully Alex Highsmith can make the most of what opportunities he has. He has not performed as well as many thought... myself doubly so and included. Still time but he needs to pick it up.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He did not lose almost all of his playing time, and you are basing your entire claim on speculation. The articles you posted do not prove your point.

Teams inquired about Ingram. The Steelers listened. Ingram couldn't handle that or the one game that his snaps were down.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Perhaps, but the injuries have come in waves that made it near impossible for the team to succeed. The defensive injuries gave them almost no shot against the Raiders and Bengals. That will likely be the case against the Chargers, when the Steelers will again be missing arguably the best defensive player in the league and four more starters and two reserves. The injuries on the defensive line have been particularly crippling, something that has been a part of the putrid run defense.

Of course, they also just put their best offensive lineman on IR, so a bad offense will likely be even worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m not sure I see a pattern.

Bell wanted more money.
    Brown was insane.
    Blount had a history of suspensions and work ethic.
    Ingram wanted more snaps when he was getting a fair few as a rotational player.

These all seem pretty different to me?

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The only lucky thing is these types of injuries are league wide which may help equalize it a bit.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Are those articles from legit sources though?

24. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    it’s been going on a much longer time than that. I wondered myself 5-10 years back after a spate of OLine injuries for a couple of years. I’m a couch potato though so my opinion on fitness means jack.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Depth is one issue quality of certain starters is another. Bush and Edmunds are close to terrible some games. Losing Tuitt and Alualu hurt the dline the backups are well below average. LA was missing starters on their dline tonight but their second stringers still stopped the run and got pressure on Ben. Banner finally saw some action on the TD from Harris , all Banner did was stand up but that was enough to block Boza.
    The play of the oline tonight shows a total lack of depth, but then again having to start two rookies right from the get go sort of pointed out how thin they were. Green is really struggling with larger nose type DT's, he is getting put on his heels and shoved backward way too often.