1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2022 QB Market

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rel, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    So, I’ve seen multiple reports over the past month or so that says the Steelers have no interest in riding with a rookie QB next year. It is possible that this is just what they “leak” to deter draft interest or to keep any of Ben’s backups from causing issues…or it could be 100% true. Rudolph isn’t the guy and neither is Haskins and anyone who says Dobbs should just delete their forum account now lol

The free agent market currently looks poor however there could be some interesting vets available via trade or possible cap cuts. What are peoples thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My thing is I have not Heard any of this, anywhere, but on Here.
    It's seems that If He doesn't want 2 go the Rookie route, and build one up...He's not really serious about Being a Head Coach...You can't always Have Future Hall of Fame Qbs Just there for You.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If Pickett is available when they draft they should take him. All other QB's I would pass on and hope 2023 has a better class.

FWIW - I don't watch much college football so I don't know what many other players bring to the table but I can tell Pickett will more than likely have success on Sundays.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So far He's my favorite, but This Strong Kid (I believe is His name) I haven't seen Yet. Like I said though...from the Ones I've watched that people are discussing Pickett is My favorite so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    If they did actually say that, apparently they forgot about a certain rookie QB that took them to 15-1. But obviously the odds of that happening again are miniscule. They have to draft somebody. They are not gonna be a major player in the Rodgers/Wilson sweepstakes despite what some on this board may believe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    https://stillcurtain.com/2021/11/17/steelers-rumor-pittsburgh-doesnt-want-start-scratch-rookie-qb/

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/10/g...doesnt-want-a-rookie-qb-after-roethlisberger/

imjust realized both of those stories came from Jay Glazer. I heard this on The Fan and on an ESPN radio show in September. Not sure if the sources are legit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Even if Pickett falls, some team is gonna reach for him. Unless we completely go down the toilet which even with our bad play I don't see us finishing bad enough. And I myself am blinded by the local college appeal but for all we know he may not pan out as starting QB material. We've seen it many times before. Plays lights out in college and then struggles mightily in the big league.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Ben was a high ceiling prospect coming out though. The 22 QB draft class isn’t close to what 04 was. Also, Ben was 13-0 in his starts as a rookie.

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Oh ...I agree He could flame out. Every dang Qb picked has that chance. I'm just saying Out of the Guys I've kept close eyes on ...He seems the Most legit so far.

11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I've posted this before...I would like a Fitzmagic, Mariota, Trubisky " type" for ONE year , AND still draft ( I would like ) Pickett...

You're not gonna bottom out/tank...Still have a competent, who knows...maybe has one of those special years, and is good enough, with the team around him to have a very good year!

And, still have your QB of the future!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Lions
    Texans
    Eagles
    Giants
    Falcons
    Broncos
    Browns

Those are the teams projected to pick before us who needs or would have interest in drafting a QB (that’s right the Browns are not 100% sold on Mayfield). Unless we tank the rest of the way, we will have slim pickings in a weak QB class

13. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The sentimental side of me wants to see them draft Pickett. I get the feeling that even if he's there, they won't take him. It's just my gut instinct. That aside, If Ben does retire, I expect them to bring in a middle of the road, cheap vet. I really don't expect the Steelers to go fishing for one of the big name FA QB's next year. I think they'll part ways with both Haskins and Dobbs and keep MR around as a back up, or if they really stink next year, hand him the keys and see what he can (or can't) do.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It's a weak QB class, I don't see the Browns being interested in drafting one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Steer clear of Deshaun Watson.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Houston was asking for three first round picks and more, so I don't think the Steelers will be pursuing him.

18. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    So, that's basically Butterball's opinion? What in the history of the Pittsburgh Steelers has he seen to believe the Steelers would mortgage their draft future for an aging albeit still very productive vet? There may even be an element of truth to his opinion. It doesn't mean for a minute that the Steelers will pursue Watson, Rodgers or Wilson. The wise move would be to sign a cheap (by QB standards) veteran FA to place hold until they find the NEXT ONE.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    My thoughts are whatever the coaches/ organization says or does is what I'll believe. Otherwise, believe what you want and good luck with all reports and media trash that none of these pushers are held accountable for when they're wrong. JMO>

20. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Not at all sure that we'll be picking behind all those teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
  22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d imagine that they are looking at all options. Im not a college football guru but from what I do know it is not the year to be looking for your franchise QB, and even if they are determined to draft somebody they’ll need to make a big trade up. Not ideal with a roster full of holes everywhere.

There will be plenty of mobile veteran options like Mariota and Trubisky that can give you cheap QB play for a season while you build the roster up and sort out the OLine but they will have to roll the dice in the draft at some point, either 2022 or 2023. It’s impossible to say what the team will do because there are a huge number of variables.

Tomlin did supposedly say that he didn’t want to work with a rookie but I’d take that with a pinch of salt at this stage

23. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would give up 3 first rounders for watson. I would give 4 for him.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

If anything, this is the likely plan anyhow. Kevin Colbert would just not be Scouting QBs for the future as both Colbert and Tomlin have likely seen enough of Rudolph. On that note, entrusting either Rudolph or Hasksins as the starter next season assuming Big Ben is gone to assist this team to compete is nothing short of a leap of faith from the Earth's Atmosphere down to the dirt we walk on; unfathomable.

Grab a vet, have him lead off. Should he continually struggle by that point, that is when the presumed "next one" steps in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It’s important to note that the Eagles have 3 x first round picks and all might be top 10. They also will be looking at a QB. Also, for those liking Pickett, he grew up 30 minutes outside of Philly, he’s practically a hometown kid.

• Informative Informative x 1