1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why today was Tomlins fault

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ytownsteeler, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    So for all you tomlin defenders out there. Reason I was ready for a loss or crap effort last two weeks. Every year the Steelers under tomlin choke a few easy games and the. We miss out on playoffs or byes and go out in first round of playoffs. The team is never prepared for bad teams and this a yearly occurrence. Our defense took three quart to adjust to a darn counter play and overload formation. Pathetic. We did not beat a team that could not throw for 100 yards. What a joke. The back up is worse than a high school or pop Warner qb . How come every other team has a solid back up and we have mason. Duck would have won today. We will get destroyed rest of season and not have a qb to replace Ben again. Long decade ahead of us

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I blame society.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2021-11-14_19-6-4.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Washington beat the Bucs today with Brady playing, Jax beat the full strengths Bills last week, Miami beat the Ravens well on Thursday, Carolina just spanked the highly favoured Cardinals.

The result today for the Steelers is embarrassing but it’s no worse than the above given how undermanned they were with no Ben, Claypool, Haden or Watt, never mind the guys on IR, Tuitt, Alualu and Juju. Lions were coming off a bye, and these things happen.

Najees TD being called back on a ticky tacky holding call and the idiotic play calling on the 1st and goal from the five when they threw it three times hurt. The OT was crazy with bad snaps, turnovers etc. This team led by Rudolph and with a string of injuries to important players has very little margin for error and there were too many errors

I’m not trying to defend Tomlin at all but the Steelers really didn’t get a single break in this game or in the lead up to it

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Duck played in the CFL for Ottawa last week. His stat line was 8/22 for 90 yds, no TDs or Ints. That in the pass happy CFL. He might have beaten Detriot today, but he didn’t beat the Toronto Argos then. FWIW

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Tomlin didn’t fumble the ball. Be he sucked at situational calls today.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    There were head scratching calls and questionable clock management at times but, Ben out, Ju Ju out, Claypool out, the other injuries, TJ gets hurt and you have to start a marginal (at best) QB. Drops and fumbles by normally sure handed players, dropped INTs A BS running into the punter penalty, a BS roughing the passer penalty in OT........and, somehow this is all Tomlin's fault?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Because our fans need a human to blame and the coach is always the easiest target. Hell, Tomlin is blamed on this site when the Steelers win for not winning by enough. Those same small minds will certainly blame him after a loss.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Our team isn’t good minus a few excellent players

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    It comes with the territory.

11. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    He was the guy who outplayed the QB we had today when he was with us. What does that say about our situation?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Great post.

It might also be added, for context, that the Lions should have beaten the almighty Ravens but for what has been universally acknowledged as a botched no-call by the refs.

That's not to say we didn't play like **** though.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    There are crazy results all over the place this season, Seattle had Wilson back yesterday along with Lockett, Metcalf etc and they got shut out in Green Bay, Browns got completely smoked by the Pats 45-7. Every team is having bad days and I don’t think the Steelers are the laughing stock of the league by any means for tying with the Lions in a bad weather game with up to ten starters missing including their QB.

The frustrating thing is that the game was there to be won, albeit the lions probably feel the same way I am sure

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I just don’t like how Tomlin answers questions after games that are important relevant questions and he blows them off like it’s no big deal. He acted like Green’s high snaps weren’t a big deal and they clearly were especially since he did one in overtime after the missed FG where they lost 15-20 yards. So yea Mike it was a big ass deal. And I just didn’t like the ringing endorsement he gave to Rudolph after the game saying he gave them a chance to win. I thought Rudolph while they didn’t overall lose the game because of him he never really gave them a chance to win it.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    The press conference is rarely the place to have that out, though. According to Labriola it's often a very different story in the team meetings.

16. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I read somewhere this morning that a few players were unaware that an NFL game could end in a tie.

17. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    He had to play Mason Rudolph. Show some damn compassion.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Today was total coaching debacle, be it on Matt Canada or Mike Tomlin.

The 1st Quarter called for some passing, the weather had not yet turned. It was successful at times, especially that Rudolph found Washington for a nice TD.
    Then once that 1st quarter ended. The Rain and Snow mix came in, and the Steelers turned away from the run way too much.

How you get a 1st in goal from the 5, and call 3 pass plays is crazy and stupid. Run that thing 4 times for all I care.

It's not pretty, but yesterday you didn't have to be pretty you have your back up QB playing why you throw it 50 times in beyond stupid. Wasn't like we were down 3 Touchdowns and had to throw.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I swear that happens every time there is a tie game.

I wonder if the NFLPA would be in favor of the college football 2 point conversion rule, if only to save their players the embarrassment of not knowing they can tie.

20. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Yea it’s like nobody knew the weather forecast was gonna be bad too. Like what gave Tomlin and Canada the idea that letting Rudolph throw the ball 50 times and only run it 31 times was a good idea?? This is why Tomlin gets asked questions about coaching in college because he doesn’t win games like yesterday enough, and his ability to adjust in game and think on the fly when it comes to situational football is beyond terrible and it seems to get worse every week not better.

21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Yeah maybe Matt Canada could get out his dry heated booth and get on the sidelines and his bald head could figure out that it was crappy weather and raining...

22. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This. 2021 Steelers remind me of the 80's teams... when Lipps, Stallworth and Merriweather were our only excellent players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    It’s just little things that Tomlin’s teams in general you can tell they don’t practice situational football. Like the Johnson catch/fumble in OT I know he was trying to make a play after but sometimes you just gotta know to get the hell down and get a fresh set of downs past midfield where they just needed 10 yards or so to get into Boz FG range. You can tell they just don’t talk about or work on certain things like this in practice. Their attention to detail on this team is horrible.

Tomlin also used his timeouts poorly once again in and at the end of regulation. I don’t understand why he called timeout with 4:08 left before the Santosos missed FG. They needed that timeout on the last drive and maybe they could have worked the middle of the field more instead of calling the play to Pat Fry where he fumbled. Its like Tomlin thought he had 3 timeouts in OT instead of just 2. It’s maddening week in and week out to see how horribly Mike Tomlin is at his timeout usage and his ability to stop the clock and know specific situations. He is just god awful at it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    At this point in the season, you are who you are and who you're going to be. The Steelers are a .500 or worse team who just ran a dead heat tie with the worst team in the league. This has been Tomlins steelers for better part of the last decade. Tomlins trademark is no losing seasons, late season collapses, and either no postseason or embarrasing 1st round losses. This is who Tomlin's steelers are. You can polish the turd all you want but it's still a turd.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Najee was saying at the post game press conference that he didn't know that there were ties in the NFL. He said that he saw the first OT period was over and was getting ready to play the second OT period when someone told him that the game was over and ended in a tie. I guess there were other players on the team that were confused about the game ending in a tie.
    The NFL Network this morning were wondering why the Steelers coaching staff weren't telling the players that the game was quickly coming to an end. They also stated that it is clear that the coaches have never practiced situational football or explained in practice about the OT rules. Even more amazing is that they just played an OT game a couple of weeks ago.