1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe Ben isn't washed up after all

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Let's say that the Steelers brass wouldn't have brought Ben back and Rudolph would have the same stats that Ben has now. 5-3 record, 10 TD's and only 4 picks, 1,986 yards passing and a 90.0 pass rating.
    Every Rudolph fan would be crowing about what a solid season that Mason was having and about how right they were about the team moving on from Ben.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Maybe, but the real crowing would be because we saved a ton of money for the same results that may have been used elsewhere. JMO>

3. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Id like to think Mason could stretch defenses more than Ben. Hell I’d like to think you could as well.

4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

4 of our O-lineman were blocking in front of Claypool. Notice the entire line formed a wall to the right? Ben likely could not see Claypool or anyone on the right side of the field very well. Which is why he stepped up to get a better view of the field. He made a bad throw . But also you would expect a WR to be coming back to the LOS or running up the sideline. If that was happening and the safety or LB's covered it...then Ben's only option was that throw. Like most of our plays they are easily defended . This is the same offense as last year...but with pre snap motions. Any half way decent pro defense has no problem with such gimmicks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I seriously doubt Rudolph would have gotten to those stats in the same manner, by throwing 90% of his passes within 5 yards of the LOS. Which means the run game would probably be better since the defense had to respect the rest of the field.

6. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

I hate to say it but this is probably true. I suspect in reality Mason would have twice the INT's but more passing yards , more td's and our running game would be better. Not sure where that puts us. Turnovers kill. He'd probably also have a few fumbles

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hahaha. Freaking winner.
    Every Person that wants, Wanted, and still wants Him gone Dang well knows this is true. If the stats were exactly the same...no matter who the Qb was outside of Ben ....they would be chirping....See...I told You so.
    Very Great Comment Hanratty #5.
    Of course because it is Ben they will now give the excuses of Why they wouldn't be.
    So let those now begin. :tease:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Or it would be worse because the defense might want to crowd the line against Rudolph until he proves he can handle pressure, something he didn't do well in 2019.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Holy cow week in and week out people hollering Ben sucks, Ben can’t do this, Ben can’t do that.

I mean seriously do you all not get tired of repeating yourself. Ben is starting, Ben is gonna play bad. He has been doing enough to help us get wins. Don’t need any big stats or flawless games to have more points then the other team.

in case you don’t know yet after 8 games Mason is not gonna play. But just maybe if you keep saying it every week.

fact is there is only 2 teams in the AFC with a better record then us. Does all the other quarterbacks of the teams with the same record or worse suck as much as you all think Ben does?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. ZiviliSteelers

ZiviliSteelers Member

Oct 18, 2021
    Ben not playing would have cost the Steelers more than paying him to play. So moving on from Ben in the off season would not have been for financial reasons but for ability reasons.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Some of you act like we are calling your girlfriends ugly when we criticize Ben :lolol:

Ben has major flaws to his game and myself and others are concerned about that when they face better teams which is coming up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    On the under thrown ball to JW, Ben says his arm was hit. Doesn’t look like it on this clip but the depth on this angle could be deceiving.

Edit:

Found another angle, looks like he did tip it in this one.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Being concerned, and saying luck will run out if Ben doesn't play better, seems fair to me.
    Not you specifically, but like Twister said, there is a lot of "can't" and "won't" being said.

(Like the people who said they have no chance to make the playoffs. Right now, the CBS Sports computer has them as a coin-flip to make the post-season, which is a lot better than zero.)

The rest of the schedule (after Detroit) is interesting.
    The Steelers might be underdogs for every game, but it wouldn't be surprising if they still got 4-5 more wins.
    Bengals probably won't be facing a team missing half the defensive starters (including Watt).
    Ravens have a secondary that can't tackle, and got blown out by the Bengals.
    Chargers have a below-average defense, and the worst rushing defense in the league.
    Vikings are almost the same.
    Chiefs have one of the worst defenses in the league.
    Browns already lost to the Steelers.

Other than the Titans, all of the opponents have major flaws too, that might concern them when they play the Steelers.
    (How did the Titans beat all those teams, and lose to the Jets?)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Bull. Sh!t.

15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    True, but he would have been off the books in 2022.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It was tipped

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Difference is We know He's not the same Guy...Everyone knows that,,but when Your that age who isn't Different. He still gives the best shot of winning.
    It's kind of like the M. Tomlin haters....Ok we get it You don't like Him anymore....,but Some just like they do for Tomlin will try and find any thing they can 2 say why they are winning beside the Coach, and the Qb.
    Guarantee if it was any other Qb, or Coach they would be praising the Winning...Even with the same stats, and Record.
    Are some of these same people not the same people that couldn't find 3 games we could Win earlier in the season???
    Seems like the goal post keeps getting moved. Well now it's what about against these guys....after that...What's next???
    I mean Hell we can Move the same goal post on any Qb in the league....Well if they don't win the SB this Year...they suck...See I told You. LoL.
    Y'all do know we will probably lose another game this Year....then You all can come out of the woodwork.....I expect it.
    I said 10- 7, and I'm sticking 2 it. That's means 5 more I told You so for me , and 4 more I told You so from the others.
    Reason I stopped play Fantasy football...because football became more about stats then wins in a lots eyes.
    Remember went the Ravens though after their 1st SB... surely with a different Qb with this team we will repeat SB. How did that work out.
    A lot more 2 playing Qb than Yards , and stats.

18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I remember the 2001 Ravens were going to the Super Bowl with Elvis Grbac at QB.....HAHAHAHA. Who knows what would have happened if they stuck with Dilfer.

Of course, they got slapped by the Steelers in the divisional round.

19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You act like those stats are something to brag about. That’s firmly bottom half to bottom third in the league. By the way ben is still in the top 10 of turnovers

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not sure everyone knows that, certainly not to the extent he has dropped off.

It’s not a matter of liking Ben or not, it’s stuff like that which shows people take criticism of him personally. It has to do with his level of play, when he does something good, I give him credit, like his game winning drive. When he doesn’t play well, he is going to get criticized.

You like to compare him to other QB’s and all I have to say to that is there are so many QB’s I’d take over him now. The difference between Ben and those other QB’s, they have bad games, Ben has basically had a bad season now if going back to week 11 of last year. That’s not longer having bad games, thats just who he is and that may not be (probably won’t be) enough over these last 9 weeks.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You , and I both know if You had Your Qb of choice, and He had 10 Td, and 4 ints with a 5-3 record You Would be saying How good He was doing. I know this , and You know this(whether You will admit it ,or not).
    This is not a knock .
    This is just like everyone that was talking about We should have brought in(Qbs name that has turned out 2 suck)...So, and So(I could go dig the names up)....all of a sudden are very Quiet about those said Qbs. Also I know just because there are Qbs you would take before Ben ....Does not mean You are correct.
    I know S. Darnold is one Qb that everyone was clamoring for with His 7 tds , and 11ints, but I guess because He has a strong arm, and can run...He's awesome. 2 bad the things that actually make You a Qb ....He not very good at. LoL.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He is 18th in the league with turnovers So...:shrug:
    Nobody said they were...I'm saying if it was the Qb You wanted and the stats, and Wins were the same You would be saying...."See"

• Like Like x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I also don't know how they can stop Ben from doing those hard pump fakes, as he keeps losing the ball because he has lost some of his grip strength.

I guess he is getting a 50/50 chance they are going to call it an incomplete pass even though it was supposed to be a pump fake.

24. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    As STD pointed out, that isn't even close to accurate.

In the table I looked at (statmuse.com), they had 25 QBs listed.
    There were 2 QBs with 6 turnovers (Stafford, Bridgewater).
    Ben is in pack of 6 QBs with 7 turnovers.
    So at least 17 QBs are worse than Ben.
    (Not sure about the 7 teams not on that list. Mayfield only has 5 TOs.)

For comparison, Mahomes has 12, Burrow has 11, and Jackson has 10.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes.