1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Freiermuth or Humphrey?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Nov 9, 2021.

1. TE Pat Freiermuth

35 vote(s)
    92.1%
  2. C Creed Humphrey

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Is it just me or does Green look like a shrimp out there. No way in hell he is 6'4"

2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think both are going to be pro bowl level players and you could make strong arguments either way. Like many others I wanted Humphrey on draft day but I’m more than happy with Friermuth.

There is no definitively right or wrong answer here imo. Either would have been excellent selections.

• Like Like x 2
  4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Yeah, the one I cited was likely his combine measurement. The 6'4" is the media guide measurement.

I'll go to my grave believing Kyler is no taller than 5'8".

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No way He's 6'4...but that should work 2 the best for natural lower center of gravity. I think some are expecting 2 much from a rookie that never really played the position. From what I seen He is getting a little better all the time, and so far(knock on wood) No really bad snaps...unlike What We were getting use 2 seeing by Pouncey.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He had been showing improvement, but Monday night was absolutely brutal.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ZiviliSteelers

ZiviliSteelers Member

Oct 18, 2021
    Why would the Steelers have a mid round running back? They drafted PF in the 2nd and Humphrey was available at that time, PF was drafted at #55 and Humphrey at #63. They had already drafted Najee Harris in the 1st round. The Steelers then drafted Green, a guard by trade to play center in the third round. Had they taken Humphrey, they would have had a center playing center (currently the #1 rated offensive rookie lineman), a guard playing guard or being a backup for year and the stud running back.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Chi towns D line is pretty Good though, but I hear You.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Because Maddog said they should've went Humphrey, Freiermuth, Trey Sermon another mid round RB.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Harris was likely the top player on the Steelers board at #24, I don't have a problem with taking a RB late in the first round, especially when you can get the #1 RB in the draft. I wouldn't take a RB in the top 10 though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think the Steelers had any interest in Humphrey, I don't recall Tomlin/Colbert going to Oklahoma's pro day, we were hearing they liked Green because he's more athletic.

• Like Like x 2
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

Freiermuth 80.6
    Pitts 78.2

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I believe he is referring to Maddog's claim that they should have reached for Humphrey in the first round instead of taking Harris, Freiermuth in the second, and Sermon in the third. Of course, Sermon can't get on the field and Maddog was previously complaining because he thought Harris was a reach in the first round. Then he backed off on the idea that they should have taken an offensive lineman first because it became clear that there was nobody available at that spot who wouldn't have been a reach. Now he is circling back around. When I called him on it, he drew a false equivalence between this situation and the Steelers passing on Leonard for Edmunds, ignoring the fact that Leonard didn't make it to the Steelers' pick in the second round and Humphrey did. He also ignored the fact that Harris was a first-rounder on must about every board while Edmunds wasn't even in the top 100 players on some pre-draft rankings.

• Like Like x 2
  15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That wasn't even close on draft day. The biggest miss for the steelers ... ever!

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Correct me if I'm wrong, Creed Humphries was long gone before our 2nd pick. We would have had to trade a bunch of capital up which I'm not sure would have been the best move.

As I see Freiermuth now, I love the pick. He is a great route runner and catches the ball. Add in the fact he actually is a good run blocker also, this makes the decision easy. Hope he's Heath Miller 2.0 for the next decade.

I'm pleased with how the rookies on the offensively line are progressing despite the growing pains.

We really couldn't ask much more starting our first 4 draft picks.

17. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    The defense is going to have to be completely rebuilt in the next 2-4 years, during that span it likely won't be as good as it is this year, let alone 2019-20. Unless we sign a Wilson or Rodgers, they're going to have to start over at QB.

The Steelers didn't face reality, IMO, and thought Najee was Ben's Terrell Davis. Poor guy is going to spend his prime years getting bludgeoned on a declining team.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Humphrey went after Freirmuth, I think he was the second last pick in the second. They wouldn’t have needed to trade but

Question is would anybody trade Freirmuth for Humphrey right now? I don’t think I would tbh

19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Absolutely right. However, if you wanted to see how a HOF TE started his NFL career in an encyclopedia, Muth's pic would show up. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes, their line was dominating. However, someone posted in another thread that the Bears had their backup DL against us. I hope not or we're in deep kimshu.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Who?

(Did I do it right?)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    PFF fan now? :roflmao:

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    FWIW, several media outlets have been publishing mid season rookie rankings. CBS ranks Humphrey #1 in their Week 10 rookie “power rankings,” with Muth at #8 and Harris outside of the Top 15. NFL.com has Humphrey #7, Harris #8 and Muth #25. PFF has Humphrey #1, with Muth #7 and Harris outside of the top 15.

What does it really mean? Not much since we’re only 1/2 way through their rookie seasons. However it does show that outlets looking across all 32 teams are seeing the value that Humphrey is providing as a rookie is better than most 1st rounders. They’re also recognizing that Muth is providing 1st round value so far.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    They’re both great, but with Juju gone and Claypool possibly away a while the Steelers need Freiermuth pretty badly now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Consider yourself corrected. Humphrey was taken 63rd overall, eight slots after the Steelers' selection in the second round.

The guy lasted until the 63rd pick, but Maddog thinks they should have taken him at 24. :hmm: