1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Canada's offense gets our WRs killed to gain 1-3 yards

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Anyone else concerned that Canada's jet sweep offense is getting our WRs clobbered to gain 1-3 yards? I would rather we focus on opening holes on the interior line and running it with 245 pound Najee Harris than getting Diontae Johnson injured to gain 2 yards.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm more worried about the secondary after watching the 4th quarter. Fields absolutely torched the Steelers D. Bears fans should be happy they have Fields. That dude is gonna be good as he gains experience.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Oh no we suck

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    Fields is going to be a good one once he learns how to use his mobility properly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

agreed.

He has a strong arm.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well the running game wasn't working, so Canada called plays to pick up yards, and it worked on some of the plays.

7. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    Well yes, it worked somewhat. But at what cost? Our WRs were taking really big hits to gain minimal yardage at least 50% of the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    How does anyone know who is calling what? Here is an intercepted game communication transaction courtesy of the Patriots Cheater Underground Website:
    MT to Canada, "Matt, what's the next play?"
    Matt to MT, "wait one Cool Breeze"
    Matt to Danny Smith, "Danny, get that wad out of your mouth and find out what Bens going to call from Dobbs".
    Danny Smith to Dobbs, "Dr Dobbs, what is the next play?"
    Dobbs to Danny Smith, "Well, Ben wanted to do a fake jet sweep pass but I told him that based on the earth rotational speed, winds velocity and air density, coupled with its impact on gravitational influences, to just hand off to Harris off tackle."
    Danny Smith to Dobbs, "Thanks Dr"
    Danny Smith to Matt Canada, "Matt, I have not effing clue what the next play is but it wont be a fake jet sweep pass"
    Matt Canada to Danny Smith, "Thanks for nothing"
    Matt Canada to MT, " Mike we think Harris may get the ball but no one knows for sure".
    MT to Canada, "OK thanks, sounds like things are on track".
    Matt Canada to coach sitting next to him," Man, I always get the tough questions"

Not really but I had nothing else to do so I made it up (except the Patriots Website part) in case someone actually thinks this is serious stuff being peddled.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    This is Canada's offense in a Ben straightjacket.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    Would be interesting to see how this compares to other teams that have QBs that throw middle/deep

11. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    245? Najee just gets heavier and heavier every day.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  12. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    It's not the offense that's an issue.

The designed sweeps helped open things up but we're missing the plays downfield.

Bears had mediocre corners and a backup dline but we didn't capitalize on it like we should've.

13. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben cannot throw deep and we can't run up the middle. Canada has to be creative in a small window. I wouldn't want his job now but all told he is doing OK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    I'd be more concerned about the frequent 1-2 yard passes to the receivers. they are standing flatfooted catching the ball...then trying to get going while 3-4 defenders are waiting for them. It would be interesting to see how many of these plays were ran over the past few years and what the average yards per play is.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No what's interesting is he didn't show the last 3 charts...Do any(some) of You understand football at all. Not all teams line up the same ...not all team chose 2 defend the field the same, and a lot of the the way a defense line up is because of how a offense lines up...what I'm saying is Very elementary. Figured You would know this.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What would open Your eyes is how often it's done by every team in the league.

17. nofieldfive

Sep 28, 2015
    it would...do you have stats?

18. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I doubt he does, and I also doubt every other QB's chart looks like this every week:

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. nofieldfive

Sep 28, 2015
    that's a lot of green dots at the line of scrimmage

20. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    It seriously frustrates me because it is less that we miss them and more that we do not attempt them. We should be able to abuse the back shoulder fade at will with Claypool and Freiermuth (they scored a touchdown with it yesterday, I can only hope they learn from it) but they refuse to do so.

I also hate how much they design the #1 routes for Diontae when Claypool is a walking mismatch. Last week they had him run a 1 yard drag (which was supposed to be a pick but the ball was thrown late) when Claypool is easily our fastest receiver and it is a route that is won purely with speed. It was 3rd and 8 and he got caught from behind. Same with throwing Diontae the fade on the 2 point conversion attempt. Why do they refuse to manufacture touches for a guy that no one on the opposing team can match up to physically 1 to 1?

Some defenders may be able to outrun Chase but the can not outmuscle him. They may be able to outquick him but they can not outposition him. They may be able to outmuscle him (Von Miller) but they sure as hell can not outrun him. All these years Ben said he wanted tall receivers and now he laser focuses on the small one and the passing game caters to him. I love Diontae's ability to create separation and our offense needs a guy like that but if Chase was on the Buccaneers/Packers/Saints in place of Evans/Adams/Thomas respectively Chase would be the #1 target in the redzone, no question.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No I'm not dig up stats for You....Watch a freaking game

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No I watch the game. What I know I don't have 2 have other people tell me. Try it sometimes. You would be surprised what You learn from actually watching, and breaking down games. You wouldn't need your Bull$h!+ PFF Bible. LoL.

23. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I know exactly what you're talking about.

Something has changed over the last few weeks but they've almost completely gone away from Chase on those routes.

My gut feeling is that Ben cant physically make those throws, with accuracy, so they aren't even trying any more.

It's looking like a wasted season for Chase and PF.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It could be that Claypool has 2 jump in the air and turn around 2 catch the ball No matter where the ball is thrown most of the time. Kind of like that other Wr we drafted with AB...both were good , but one was great and could really adjust 2 a throw, and the other most of the times had 2 jump in the air and turn around 2 catch it.

25. nofieldfive

Sep 28, 2015
    chill out dude - you got temper issues?

• Like Like x 1