1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The most active 4th string IR player I have ever seen!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Before this year I couldn't pick Dobbs out of a lineup. Now every game I see him on the sideline right in the middle of the action when the Steelers have the ball. As soon as Ben sits down there is Dobbs right beside him.

I have no idea who the QB coach is, I don't think I have ever seen Haskins during a regular season game, but Dobbs on the other hand I now constantly see him up and down the sideline during the games.

Are they grooming Dobbs for something?

I don't know how long they can keep him on the IR. I am assuming his Toe injury is all but healed by now.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    May be hard to see on tv, but when Ben goes to the sideline, he goes to Dobbs
    He did it all of last year as well

I stated back in camp that one way or another Dobbs would be around this year

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see Dobbs on a coaching staff in the next few years

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I mean he is a aerospace engineer or some other type of genius like that

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They are always talking to each other. Ben definitely values his input. They kept a 4th string QB around that is on IR.

It’s not rocket science.

See what I did there.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    This been a thing for a few years now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Then I must just have not recognized him at all.

Now that I know the face, I am amazed how much I see him on the sidelines during the game Maybe with Canada up in the booth it has made a difference on who Ben is going to when he comes off the field..

8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Doubt he is some type of genius. Smartest one on the sidelines for sure providing valued input and analysis for Ben to rely on. When you graduate with these types of degree's, info retention has a shelf life. Go open an 8th grade math book and see what I mean. I hope he has long term plans away from football so his education is put to better use. It's possible he may not want to do anything else except football and then I'll wonder what is he thinking. Or maybe he can take over the offense and making it work and then I'll admit to him being a genius. JMO>

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think Ben just really values Dobbs input and knowledge. He was that way with Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich back when Moby Dick was a minnow.

Plus he just f-ing hates Mason Rudolph... but Mason wouldn't take off his helmet to give any input anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    When he gets his first gig as an offensive coordinator, the offense will be called Air Dobbs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He might like football but he can make a lot more money as an aerospace engineer, if that ship hasn’t sailed.

Edit: I mean after his player days if he is thinking about coaching.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What? How much money do you think the scientist make at NASA?

Dobbs is making over a million this year with Pittsburgh.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    "Most impressively, Dobbs succeeded on the football field at Tennessee while maintaining a 4.0 GPA and graduating with a degree in aerospace engineering. He was one of seven seniors in the class of 2017 to receive the Torchbearer Award, the university’s highest honor, given for “academic achievement, leadership, and outstanding service.” While in college, Dobbs twice interned at aerospace manufacturer Pratt & Whitney, and he had an externship with NASA planned for this spring until the federal government shutdown hit."

The guy was a 3 year starter at QB for Tennessee, and still graduated with a 4.0 in a major that usually takes 5 years. He reportedly memorized Pi to 80 digits. Still think he isn't a genius?

• Like Like x 5
  14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And as part of which is he can do anything he puts his mind to ,and he spread that all around in HS and College and played a a little ball when he could..Now he Loves the game IMO and understands a run first QB manage the game from your style value..

I read a thread on here last night I think or early morning anyway was about the mobile style QB as a type and style we may be looking for..So Could a guy with the mental fortitude like him not be 1 of the smartest game managers?Or the I just want the run game to work so we can win type of guys?

If we do indeed draft a mobile QB type who can run RPO'S, Zone Reads, Waggle , Spread , Ace, Bootlegs , Sprint/Dash games who better would you want to play and show the new kid the mental aspects of this game? My thought is if that kid has the same love for the game and a will learn his craft then he could become elite with better passing talent and a quiker I see what I see clock than Dobbs.. Really it is a negative clock in the old school pocket QB sough..lol 4 real the best of the best had great OC skills and the ability to read what the D is really going to be after the snap .. Mobile QBS' force the D to play honest and not out smart you more fundamental Football ,can we block,can we see those blocks develop , can we get in and out of those holes or at least finish the run if someones block not effective..Anyway do that use the QB some use lots of PA off those sme run looks and Dobbs has good value in that role whichever way it leans..

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not to bad of gig if you can get, will make more in in his 4-5 years in NFL than 90% of
    people will make in their whole working career.

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Him and Ben are looking at his designs for the rocket they’re going to build together in off-season

17. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Smart guy.
    You want to be on TV more?
    Hang near the QB.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    When Will people wake up and realize....Wrs hate running Qbs. They only say it of course after they leave them. The only Offense player that actually likes a Running Qb is the RB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was thinking if he wanted to get into coaching

• Like Like x 1
  20. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

We don't need a running QB...... We need a pocket QB that can run.... A pass first guy that can make something happen when nothing is open, or if a play breaks down... Steve young was one of those players... So was Andrew luck... Joe burrow, pat mahomes, Josh Allen etc.... An athletic field technician will elevate this offense to great heights

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Nope, I don't like giving labels so easily. Not sure you are being literal or throwing the label out in a relative manner. I'll agree if comparing him to the others around him on the team, any team for that matter. A literal genius is, to me, someone who does something out of school, not while in it. Genius' produce things others haven't or can't like inventions or finding solutions to problems that never could be before, etc, etc. Doing outstanding in school along with extra curricular activities and memorizing numbers is impressive, not genius. There are very few true genius' in world so I doubt there is one on the sidelines holding a clipboard for Ben. That's just my interpretation.

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    TE'S like them because of the PA and a deep threat WR likes them because they get 1 on 1 coverage a lot ..

23. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I've been an Aerospace Engineer/Maintenance Technician for 32 years. After 6 layoffs the only genius thing I did was get an Electrical Engineering degree and start working at a Power Plant. Just because someone is an Aerospace Engineer, it doesn't automatically make them a genius. I've been around some that I wouldn't even let work on a bicycle.

• Like Like x 1
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Based on your criteria he is a genius then because he was able to get Ben to change his approach to a play and have it be successful something several OC's were unable to do. :thumbs_up:

25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Can you imagine the contrails if Dobbs had been launching the ball to Raghib "Rocket" Ismail? As far as Dobbs hanging near BB all the time - you know it takes a while before someone like BB can absorb the concept of Entropy and Enthalpy. :hmm: