1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin might have outdone himself

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MadtownDruankard, Oct 31, 2021.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I said at the time to friends watching with me the moment we realized it was a fake that it was the wrong call. But that’s all it was. Boz getting hurt wasn’t a result of a bad call. It was a result of playing football.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It was partially due to the bad call. As I explained, the likelihood of an injury increases when you put players in unfamiliar situations. A quarterback understands that situation better and protects himself. Boswell did not.

3. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I had to work so I didn't watch the game. But a saw a replay of this hit. Was there a flag for leading with the crown of the helmet to Boswell?

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Nope. There was no penalty on the play.

5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    and you matter why?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I can agree with that. My buddy was saying “Boz has to know when to get rid of the ball” I said can’t expect Boz to know QB things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Loved the call but not so much the execution. CLE defended this fake FG like they knew it was coming. In this regard, we could very much be predictable. It surprised everyone I was with and Romo and his sidekick. But somehow the stains were ready for a play we never do.

8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    according to coach they took too long to snap and it lead to poor execution... his words not minds hahahaha

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Curious to find out if other teams have someone with a helmet available or is it just us? I think our one trick pony punter was embarrassing as he can't evern kick a ball to stay inbounds and later in the critical 4th period, his flipping the field capabilities went on holiday with that massive 34 yarder to set CLE up for a winning drive. I asked in another thread if Barry had ever been used to kick? If he had been, and we brought in another punter for cap reasons and not knowing if he can do can do anything but punt, then is that a problem? I don't know but without our kicker we are screwed big time right now.

10. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Well, that certainly didn't help. Is that a player or coaching issue? I've been saying the rosary for years every 30 minutes in hopes that the gum chewer would be gone one day when I woke up.

11. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Tomlin making a decision that didnt work isnt the issue. That happens. Issue is, his players are constantly in bad positions. If Landry wasnt a complete flop today, the Clowns win today. Baker missed several easy throws. The steelers would have been sliced and diced if it were any top 10 QB today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    IDK. My Mamma said I mattered so I thought I did.:shrug:

Never ceases to amaze me how Tomlin is able to shed criticism.

• Like Like x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I like to b!tch. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Sigh.

You play who’s in front of you.

“A better team would have beaten us” is a pointless thing to say.

Aside from that, the Browns had the number 1 rush offense and a ferocious pass rush. Give the Steelers some credit, jeez. Like I said in the GDT, it was a scrappy win but I’ll take it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    yes, you’ve made that abundantly clear

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You guys are wrong, you just don’t like the call and that’s fine, I wouldn’t have called it myself but results is what matter.

When your goal is to score a TD there and you do, you made the right call. Anything else is just fans that can’t get past their bias.

Basically you guys are saying it’s ok to take risks when you agree with it but not when you don’t.

17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    A fake field goal is just about the most low percentage play you can call. They were never going to score on that play.

Let's also keep in mind that besides being small, kickers are also the least padded players on the field. Very rarely do they wear rib pads, and most do not wear thigh, knee, and tail bone pads. The play was not worth the risk.

To make matters worse Tomlin had no contingency plan in place for Boswell going down. Even high school teams have a player that is prepared to kick in case of an emergency. The fact that an NFL coach failed to prepare his team for that situation speaks volumes.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Harvin was the back up. The real problem is that Ben is the back up holder and it was reported that they didn't want to chance him getting kicked in the fingers by an inexperienced kicker. I guess that's ok if Ben's holding for Boz, but yes they should've been better prepared.

19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    You have to wonder why Mason Rudolph isn't the holder. Is he maybe just not good at it?

I always liked having your backup QB hold. That way if you get a bad snap, or you want to try a fake, you have somebody in there that gives you a chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My only problem with the design is that they should have had Harvin run it, he has experience as a passer and of course, built a lot better than Bos.

But lets not forget, Bos never should have been hit, that was a dirty shot. Defender had plenty of time to pull up.

21. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Not all risks are the same. If 3 isn't enough, keep your offense out there. Asking Boz to throw on the run is about as low pct as you can get, injury notwithstanding.

I suppose you thought Ben's throw into triple coverage was not a bad decision because they didn't pick it and return it for a TD.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I still would have hated the call. But I would have hated it less if they ran the fake with Harvin. I agree about the penalty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. NewMexicoLobo

NewMexicoLobo Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2021
    I'll just say one thing about the call. You don't have your kicker throwing a pass.

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    loved the call - just not the execution

took balls, I has asked for a trick play and double reverse yesterday - got them both.

in case you missed, it, the Steelers WON!!!

25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    exactly.

Tomlin would be king. Dumb fans....
    Boz needs more reps on getting rid of the ball sooner, that is all