1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin might have outdone himself

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MadtownDruankard, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Regardless, this was a well coached team today. Stopped probably the best running attack in the league, despite a poor run defense most of the year (see Green Bay as a prime example). I didn't love the call to go for the fake, but it must have been something they were working on during the bye week. Hope Boz gets healthy quick.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Wait. What? Am I bitching that they wasted a new rope? How am I bitching after I am hung? I'm confused.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Yep, stand up guy. Didn't duck the question and owned it like a man.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Yeah.Just saw a bunch feeds come up on twitter that Tomlin sad it was a bad call and he clearly put it on himself.

At the same time I usually even see Big Ben take accountability and own up to poor execution on a play whether it was him or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree. I stick Up for Ben , and Tomlin on Here all the time ...anyone that's been on Here knows this, but I can't defend the call.
    It's late in the 1st Half....We have Moved the ball on them all day ...if You take away flags, and 3 gets You up in the lead ....with the Ball 1st in the 2nd Half....It's a Bad call ....even if it works.....I do have 2 say That stupid stuff happens 2 be the NFL 2 day...Like the Browns turning it over 2 us 2 times because they just have 2 go for it on 4th down...dumb....I know ...analytics....You know what I think of analytics in a ContactSport....it's stupid.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Funny, the Brown fans I watched with had nothing but high praise for Tomlin.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I love these kinda threads.

We could win the Superbowl and I'm positive there would be one of these threads complaining about how the game was won.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If it worked it’s a brilliant call that you just don’t like.

Arguing that it’s a bad call if it worked is nonsensical :confused:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I didn't like it. The decision ultimately ended up costing us 5 points today. I do respect that Tomlin owned it in his post-game. Hopefully Boz will be good to go next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Results Bias, line 1.

11. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    You can't read, can you? I said I would have kicked the FG, do you u n d e r s t a n d, or do you want me to slow it down for you? How many times do you see a fake punt, kick or FG where the placekicker or punter holds the ball that long? Answer, almost never. Why? Because something bad usually happens. Generally, either someone is wide open and the ball is out very quickly, or it's thrown away. But hey, if it helps you to feel better about yourself to blame everything negative that happens to the Steelers during the course of a game or season on Mike Tomlin, then have at it. Not only that, the comment about exposing Boswell to injury is silly, at best. He could snap a hammy following through, take a hit on a block attempt, or get lit up trying to make a tackle. After all, you do know this is tackle football, right? I see you conveniently refused to have anything to say about the fact that Pittsburgh actually won the game, but then that might mean that Tomlin did something right.

12. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Uh, you'd b!tch at the Hangman before he pulled the pin.

13. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    He did own it. And, for like the umpteenth time, I would have preferred that then took the three. However, what angers me is that people are blaming Tomlin for Boz' concussion and that makes no sense. I'm sure the same people probably blame him for Covid, too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I would have been the first person to call this play stupid regardless of the outcome. The design of the play was awful. It was a reckless call that got an undersized ill-prepared player hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Yep. And somewhere, someone had way to much to drink and was barely able to drive home after the game. But hey, no one got killed, so its all is good.

16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Regardless of the outcome, this was an egregious error in judgment.o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Couple of things:
    1) yes it was a bold crazy move near the end of the first half…. But remember…. At the start of the day….. we were sitting at the basement… yes 4th in the division….. so extreme times call for extreme measures

2) I thought the TE’s ran horrible routes…. They could have really gone different directions to get some separation or confusion

3) I didn’t see enough replays… but my angle seemed to see…. BOZ got hit in the face mask/chin……did anyone else see this? I thought there should have been a flag thrown…. But I was watching the game with the enemy in Ohio…. So I couldn’t get any clear views.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Some of you guys crack me up. Everyone here is happy the Steelers won. This does not gloss over the fact that a coaching decision was made that put the outcome of this game at risk unnecessarily.

For starters, the call itself was questionable at best. It was very clear from early on that this had the makings of a defensive struggle. Points were going to be at a premium. The game is tied. It is early. There really is no reason not to just take the points, and the lead and rely on the defense to carry you to the half.

What is even worse is the design of this play. You take Chris Boswell, and you roll him out. He has two reads. No one is open, now he is sandwiched near the sideline. He doesn't want to just chuck it into coverage, so he takes a shot. This play had very little chance of success. This play had a much greater chance of getting your starting kicker injured, which is exactly what happened. Chris Boswell is an undersized player who is ill-prepared to take shots like this. The call by Tomlin was reckless, ill timed, and frankly just not needed.

The Pittsburgh Steelers played their best game in all three phases since the Buffalo Bills game week one. Mike Tomlin's call very nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. I'm glad Tomlin admitted fault after the game. The person he should apologize to is Chris Boswell.

BYW, it is absolutely ridiculous to assume that people are only complaining because the play didn't work. I think @MadtownDruankard would agree with me in saying that this was a horrendous football decision regardless of the outcome.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Can you just remind me of the trick plays that Tomlin’s Steelers did that looked good. Cowher had some nice trick plays. Tomlins seem to fall on their face all the time

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Worst in his career? That’s some hyperbole right there.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is part of why I don't like the call. When you put players in unfamiliar roles, that can lead to big mistakes and/or injuries.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It was not a good call, but people are only worked up cause Boz got hurt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yet Cowher still only managed to win one Super Bowl :shrug:

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Lolley wrote that they had been practicing that all season.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I was worked up the moment I saw it, before Boswell got hurt. This team cannot afford to be giving away points like that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1