1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

some observations in the glow of a division upset win in the road...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jimmyallen45, Oct 31, 2021.

1. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I don't want to clog the board by starting a new thread but- here are some things I'm thinking and would welcome any comments on the following observations.

1- I've been watching the Steelers for 49 years, and I am lost to remember a worse play call than the fake field goal today. I know there must have been one- several- but I cannot recall a great WTF moment.

2- I did some checking- and this has never happened in Steelers history. I'm talking about drafting offensive players with the first 2 picks, and having both of them end up making the Pro Bowl. I"m predicting this going to happen for the first time with Najee and Pat. (I don't see any other Pro Bowlers from this draft though, at least on offense...)

3- Kendrick Green is going to end up playing G, and the Steelers are going to be looking for a true C in the offseason.

4- The Browns have no excuses this week. They are now facing a near must win next week, IMO.

5- A playoff bound, mature team does not blow a game to the hapless Jets this week.

6- The more things - and the more hype around- the 2 Ohio teams, the more things stay the same.

7- I think the Steelers manage a winning record this year.

8- I've been thinking this for a long time- but ESPN's Brooke Pryor is awful, a far cry from Jeremy Fowler, her predecessor as Steelers reporter. Today she actually downgraded the team's "confidence" level after a gigantic win.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the fake FG looks far worse as a call because of the injury.

There have definitely been crazier calls.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree with all your other points though jimmy

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013

5. jimmyallen45

Jan 1, 2012
    I don't think they make the Pro Bowl this year, but both will in their career. Maybe by 2022. Two great picks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Fair enough. Najee might make it this year. He will have to out perform Mixon, Taylor, and Jacobs, but its not out of the question. Henry and Chubb are the two obvious locks. It will depend on how many more 100 yard games he can put up and if he keeps stuffing the stat sheet with receptions. He's a great back. Friermuth will have to carve out a Heath Miller like role (and thats not always the best way to make the pro bowl), but if he can become a real red zone weapon, he definitely has a shot to be a pro bowl TE as well. Love that we have both of them.

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    1. The fake FG was a true headscratcher for the situational moment. Tied 3-3 in the 2nd you take the easy points. Just another example of MT and his gut feelings. The guy must take a lot of Pepto Bismol before games.

2. Although Najee should get a serious look for the Pro Bowl, he will not make it with his numbers. Friarmuth maybe.

3. Green is having some growing pains but he's just a rookie. A lot to learn at that position at this level. I feel he'll be OK.

4. Landry cost the Browns the game. The refs did everything they could to ensure a win for those Clowns.

5. I went camping this weekend with a group of Bengals fans and late last night I told them the Jets would beat the Bungles. They looked at me like I had 3 heads. This was a perfect example of a trap game.

6. Clowns and Bungles suck. A little bit of success goes straight to their heads.

7. Given how the seasons started this would be a small miracle.

8. I don't pay much attention to the talking heads. Romo is hands down boring to me. He has some good insight but his delivery makes me want to take a nap.

GO STEELERS!

• Like Like x 2
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Only reason why people are so outraged is because Boz got injured.

9. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Landry’s fumble was a huge play in the game no doubt but the Browns had numerous chances to win this game and make some more plays and just didn’t do it. Namely Baker Mayfield didn’t do it. He just does not make big time throws or make big time plays when the game is on the line he just doesn’t do it. He needed to be better today and put the Browns on his back and tell them I’m winning this game here in the 4th quarter. Mayfield is a decent QB to be fair but he just doesn’t have that IT factor and that extra something special where he can tell a team to hop on his back and he will carry them to victory. He is just not good enough and we saw he wasn’t good enough yet again late in the game today. He just does not know to win games like this.

10. jimmyallen45

Jan 1, 2012
    I should have been more clear- I do believe that Najee and Pat will both be Pro Bowlers in their career and the first time ever the Steelers have taken offensive players 1-2 and have them do so. Of course, they don't often do this (draft offensive players 1-2), and I suspect they thought Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed would be all pros too...

Brooke Pryor is the current Steelers beat writer for Espn.She writes their game stories and other features on Espn.com I'm a reader, not a watcher, so I don't know if she is ever on the air. But her coverage is a serious drop from Jeremy Fowler's, who has gone on to other things at Espn.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The fake field goal play is the ultimate example of a social phenomenon known as the Outcome Bias. Sure, we can definitely question it for certain; me being among them at the time. That said, should it work, the opinions of said play call automatically change. That said though, I doubt that Coach T and Danny Smith will be swayed from enacting such a play call again.... even if that opportunity does not present itself for a while.

Regarding the rest of the OPs observations:

2.) Pat has a better chance to make the Pro Bowl than Najee does at this point..... though that is not by much. This is still Derrick Henry's Conference to rule until otherwise.... and that is not accounting for the likes of Joe Mixon, Nick Chubb or even Johnathan Taylor. Pat's chances, while better, are still very much slim; Travis Kelce, Mark Andrews and Darren Waller.

3.) I've already stated my thoughts about this too many times already. To sum it up; Kendrick Green is not going anywhere UNLESS there are extreme circumstances in at play for this team moving forward. Green will get better in time... just will take a while to do so.

4.) This is what normally and naturally happens when you have a Franchise that knows very little of the term "expectations". Yes, each team is different every year but the discipline, accountability, dedication, determination, work ethic and desire are still major aspects that the most successful ones have on a yearly basis. Until I am shown otherwise....., neither Ohio based team is to be taken seriously.

5.) Read number four regarding this.

6.) Again, read four.

7.) I was, and still, on record that the Steelers finish 10-7 for the season. I have had little to no reason to change it during the three game skid and have none now. For that matter, Coach Tomlin is now tied with Bill Cowher for the second most wins in Steelers History.... and we are not even nearing the end here.

8.) Brooke Pryor has a lot of shortcomings for certain. That said, I will take her over Aditi any day, week, month, year, decade, generation, century or even millennium. Aditi is quite the sly fox when it comes to her tweets; some more offensive than others believe.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not I....Though it does make matters worse. I'm a old school guy. Take the Easy 3 if You are not way behind in the 4th, and Don't go for 2 Unless absolutely necessary.
    Think about this ....How many games have You seen lost this Year if the team just kicked the 3 instead of going for it. I can think of 5 . So I'm sure there is More. JMO. You Know I'm not a Mike T hater....I just don't like that kind of ball. I see it Bite teams in the A$$ all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Believe or not I actually did take a nap through the 2nd and most of the 3rd quarter. I can't remember ever doing that while watching a Steelers game. I didn't really miss too much. It wasn't like either team was lighting up the scoreboard.

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Well....yeah. duh. :facepalm: