1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NIL and college athletics

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by Animus, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    NIL is one of the greatest game changers in college sports ever. When you see backups, on Alabama, getting 6 figures in income due to sponsorship, I realized how big of a change in landscape this is going to be. As long as Saban is at Bama, they're a solid Top 5 team; however, there are a few economic giants in the pool eager to stake their claim. Ohio State is largely unaffected by this. Ohio is a larger sized area with tons of kids in their backyard and a place where corporate interests are even. OSU will probably remain a Top 3 school and solid Top 5.

The thing for me is the owners of various corporations are also big time boosters. So this allows then to use their corporate money to fund rosters whilst using personal money to fund coaches, facilities and so on. I doubt boosters are going to want to pay players on other teams, so I suspect that they're going to go after the biggest coaching names possible to ensure those kids end up on their rosters.

USC: they have the glamor of Hollywood off the bat. Who better to get to advertise new rides and such than football and basketball players. Silicon Valley is up the road with money to blow. Not to mention the third highest amount of football players in the country. Then the history and brand of USC is only matched by a few. Now that corporate interests are involved, if USC doesn't find their mojo; it's their own fault.

Texas: Their economy isn't as large as Cali's but isn't far behind (last time I checked was around 9 or 10 in the world). They have oil tycoons as well as other tech industries (especially in Austin). AtM swipped Jimbo from a place like FSU, imagine what Texas is capable of.

I don't know what this means for Pitt, but I suspect that Florida, FSU, Oregon, Tennessee, UGA, Michigan and PSU will also thrive in this new paradigm. I suspect that the top ten will end up a lot more competitive on and off the field. And it's definitely interesting that the 12 team playoffs are announced at roughly the same time as NIL rolling out.

• Like Like x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I was hoping this would help My Team since Jerry Jones is an alumni .:shrug:

3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm sure there's some corporate interests in Arkansas. But it's obviously not as deep as say Pennsylvania, Oregon or Michigan. A lot of those involved in manufacturing as well as the oil & gas industry already invest millions, if not billions towards academic research at universities like Pitt, PSU, OSU and all of the Texas Universities. Just due to the SECs TV deals and such, the SEC obviously isn't going anywhere. NIL likely prompted the SEC to add Texas and Oklahoma.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Just like that, USC nabs Lincoln Riley. He's a great recruiter with access to great coordinators. He doesn't have to be a great GameDay coach, just needs great coordinators to that work for him to be successful in LA.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't see the draw. 20 years ago yes, but now.
    Also How good is He really. It's not like He took over a crap , and loser team when he took over Oklahoma....He is now though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Money, glitz, loads of talent in his backyard... Corporations sponsoring NIL that don't exist in Oklahoma, Hollywood stars coming to practice. Need I say more.

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Maybe You are correct. I see a first losing season in His career. We shall see.:thumbs_up:

8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    He could certainly have a losing season. Can't really judge him until year 4. As long as he can keep Cali kids from going out of state, by year 4 He'll have a top 3 team with as good a shot to win the natty than anyone. Speaking of recruiting, he just got the number 2 player in the 23 class in QB Malachi Nelson. It's not a surprise he got him, but shows how strong a recruiter he is.

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree He will need time, but time beyond 3 years I don't know. Honestly I don't follow USC much so I don't know exactly how fast the turnover of the coaches are there, but I bet LSU doesn't give Kelly no 4 years. I would also Bet Kelly turns LSU back into winners faster even in the same division as Bama.

10. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Texas has a collective of donors and has 10 million banked for next year. It will quickly turn into paying players. So the schools with the biggest base of donors will attract the best players. This is the reason Roy Williams retired at North Carolina.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    NIL. what about the QB recruit from Ohio State that tranfered out, back
    to Texas. What does the NCAA do about this make the kid payback his NIL to OSU donors?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    It was his NIL contracts that caused him to leave. His sponsors didn't want to pay him to sit on the bench.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I understand there are haves that will get the best recruits and that will now involve lots of money. The thing I struggle with is now money can cherry pick the players that develop from the programs with less money.

Kinda reminds me of baseball were there are a few big city teams that spend way more than other teams and get the best free agents.

• Like Like x 2
  14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This. The transfer portal and the ability for players to transfer for no reason at all has created this free agency problem. The big money markets and the ones with the biggest TV contracts will have the best players and coaches. Case in point, why did Lincoln Riley take the USC job? It's all about the Benjamins. When the big market money schools start giving serious money to these kids, do you think they want to be in craphole towns like Tuscaloosa AL, Norman OK, Oxford MS, Gainesville FL, etc? Hell no. They were there because they were getting McDonald's bags of cash on thr DL. Now that it can be above board and they can get paid, it is going to the highest bidder. LA, NY, Miami, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1